Wave Rider vs. Cumulus (Read 1706 times)

smilingassassin

Hi everybody,

I tried out both at a specialty store last February and have been in Cumulus since then... no problems.  Almost got the Wave Riders though.  I feel like I have no road feel in the Cumulus and kind of want some of that back.  Also I've noticed that the Cumulus just have nothing left at around 350 miles.  Can anybody give some insight into the durability of the Wave Rider relative to the Cumulus?  I can get both for the same price ($70) online right now and would rather not go into a running store and spend 100.   Thanks!

I've only been in Wave Riders (for 3 years), and unfortunately for me, I seem to only get around 300 miles on them. 

A Saucy Wench

I find Mizunos in general to be at the shorter end of durability for me.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Me also.

I've consistently gotten 500+ miles out of the Wave Rider.  They are light weight, and responsive. 

Can't comment on the Cumulus, because I didn't really like them.  Too "blocky" and heavy for me.  I couldn't "feel the road".

But, that's just me.

I've been running in Wave Riders since 2004.

Jeff

Giant Flaming Dork

Do what I did - get both. :-) I can't comment on longevity, since I haven't run enough on either of them. I find the Mizuno to be less cushiony, but more responsive. The Asics is much more "floaty" but is nice sometimes. I really like both of them.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Mizunos work well for me, though when I wear them I tend towards lighter models than Riders. In my experience the typical wearout mechanism is delamination between all the little layers. I wonder if that would explain odd patterns of who does/doesn't get good life out of them.

You could always try the new Wave Prophecy by Mizuno.  It's a neutral but very pricey.  I was at my local fleet feet the other day and talked to one of the managers about them.  He said they seemed stiff at first but all of the workers that tried them loved them once they started running.  The manager is thinking those shoes will easily get 800-1000 miles out of them.

Prophecy is like 380g? Riders are 250g. One of the things I like about the Riders are that they're quite a light shoe ... although the model 14 doesn't suit me as well as the 13 did. 

I think I'm going to try some kinvaras...

Slo

+1

I love them though. They fit like a glove.

+1

I love them though. They fit like a glove.

Yes.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

old-runner

I haven't tried the Cumulus, but I have some Wave Riders that according to my equipment page have 609 miles on them and they're still going strong (very little signs of wear)...

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/d77f7e596ffa432e9c4366a40dda10d0/equipment

I've consistently gotten 500+ miles out of the Wave Rider.  They are light weight, and responsive. 

Can't comment on the Cumulus, because I didn't really like them.  Too "blocky" and heavy for me.  I couldn't "feel the road".

But, that's just me.

I've been running in Wave Riders since 2004.

+1 but running in them since 2009. 500 miles on one pair and still running in them. My humble opinion is that some people that want a lot of cushioning will feel that the Mizunos wear out quicker. But I like the road feel and the fact they aren't as squishy. I'm guessing that I can get more miles out of them b/c I'm not dependent on the cushioning. I also run in Saucony rides and they feel like pillows in comparison. 

Slo

I haven't tried the Cumulus, but I have some Wave Riders that according to my equipment page have 609 miles on them and they're still going strong (very little signs of wear)...

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/d77f7e596ffa432e9c4366a40dda10d0/equipment

I just looked at my log. I have 613 on mine. I'm still wearing them. They show little to no sign of wear but It feels like the pebbles are coming thru the shoes. The gel is pretty much shot.

+1 but running in them since 2009. 500 miles on one pair and still running in them. My humble opinion is that some people that want a lot of cushioning will feel that the Mizunos wear out quicker. But I like the road feel and the fact they aren't as squishy. I'm guessing that I can get more miles out of them b/c I'm not dependent on the cushioning. I also run in Saucony rides and they feel like pillows in comparison. 

I'm wouldn't say I'm dependant on cushioning. I'm also not a heavy guy. But on my recovery runs and long runs I do perfer a little more cushioning and after about 500 miles the Mizuno's no longer fit that bill.

although the model 14 doesn't suit me as well as the 13 did. 

This is, was, me.  I absolutely hated the way the 14's felt when I first put them on.  So much so I gave up on them after two runs because I was having some heel pain.  Tried the Nike Vomero, NB 7 something, NB 890.  While the NB 890 feels good, it just wasn't the same feel as the Riders had been for me in the past.  The Vomero's and other NB had way too much cushioning for me.  After failed attempts with other models, I stuck it out with the Rider 14's.  After a little over 50 miles, they feel great.  I guess it took some time to break them in and get use to them.  While the Rider 12 and 13's were great right out of the box, the 14's take some getting use to.  But I like them now.