Can runners with neutral feet wear "any" shoe (cushioning, stability, etc)? (Read 2642 times)

derek

When I got fitted at a running store recently, I was told that I have neutral feet. I was wondering, can someone with neutral feet wear any kind of shoe, be it cushioning, stability, etc. E.g, if a shoe is a stability shoe, I'm thinking I can still wear it since I wouldn't be taking advantage of the stability and motion control anyway. The reason I ask is that I started running in ASICS GEL-1110 which is a stability shoe and I'm running in my second pair of these. They seem to be fine. I got a pair of Saucony cushining shoes and those seem to be fine too, although I prefer the fit of the Asics. I've also run in Asics Cumulus which is a cushioning shoe and those felt fine too. Maybe my mileage isn't high enough that I can tell the difference, but to me, once the shoe fits OK, they seem to work for me and so I was wondering if it's because I have neutral feet.

Derek

mikeymike

If you have a neutral foot you can probably get away with wearing shoes that are not totally neutral but you might still have problems. I have had problems in the past with shoes that were posted (GT-2XXX series.) I was told by someone who should know that it was because my feet are quite rigid and stability shoes were not letting them pronate normally so I was running on the outsides of my feet and my feet were cramping up and creating pressure on the balls of my feet. Neutral shoes let my feet relax and spread out. It made sense and I've run in totally neutral shoes ever since with no issues. The 1110's are only slighty posted--they are somewhere between a typical neutral shoe and a stabilty shoe. If they feel good and you are injury free they are probably fine.

Runners run

Nope. Sad Last January, as I was starting to run, I tried running in a pair of Asics 2110 that the idiot at the store was *convinced* I needed. Angry Horrible pain near my knee. I've given birth to several children sans pain meds so I *know* pain and this was *excruciating*. I'd make it about 1/4 mile or so (maybe) before I'd be crying. Once dh even went to get the car to take me back up the driveway! Went to a running specialty store where they identified me as a neutral runner, sold me a pair of Saucony Grid Trigon Rides and the pain was gone. Tried the Asics again once and the pain was back before the end of the driveway. Sad I've been running in Mizuno Elixers lately. I love them but decided to try the Mizuno Inspires this time which offer a bit more stability. Ouch! By 3 miles I was walking, hoping to make it home. I took them back and got another pair of Elixers. YMMV of course but I'm sticking with a cushioning, neutral shoe from now on! Teresa
        derek

I'd make it about 1/4 mile or so (maybe) before I'd be crying.
          That's interesting...so just running as little as 1/4 mile in the wrong shoe can cause pain? I was under the impression that it may take several miles and possibly multiple days before you know if the shoe is wrong. Do others experience similar pains in such short distances when you're in the wrong shoe? Just wondering if that means that if I can run say 5 miles in a shoe without any pain, then I should be OK?

Derek

Prophet!

I'd stay with the cushioning shoes. i too had neutral feet and an inexperienced running store person told me i need to get stability shoes (Saucony something). Two back to back ankle sprains within two month after buying the shoes, and other pains on my knee convinced me that maybe the guy was wrong, I was right. I gave the pair away and went back to my old Asics 1080. Then I switched to Cumulus and on my second pair of cumulus now...had no major problems so far with mileages up to ~ 40 mpw. Problem that i'm having with the cumulus now is the forefront cushioning seems to wear out fast (the forefront cushioning not so great to begin with) and causing some pains on the ball of my feet. I might try out the Pegasus to see if the forefront cushioning is better as i want to get up to 30 - 40 mpw average this year. Problem is i have super wide feet (4E) and not many shoes come in that width.
            RunningHammer

I have neutral feet and brought a pair of ASICS GEL GT-2110 a few weeks ago. Have only run about 35 miles in them so far, no problems at all. That did include a couple of longish runs i think. Didn't get any advice from a store - i tend to be too untrusting! Cheers D
                With this new pair of shoes it *felt* like it was forcing my foot to fall differently than it wanted to. (Does that make any sense?) It felt weird and not painful at first but after I noticed that for a minute it started to get painful. Teresa
                RunningHammer

Hi Teresa Sounds like the shoes were definitely wrong for you! I'm still a newbie...my ASICS are only the 2nd type of running shoe i've tried (after i discovered i've been using RACING shoes without a problem for the last 7 months DOH!) In the UK, ASICS are markerting the 2110 as ok for a neutral or mild overpronator. Do you think the "neutral" tag may be a little ambiguous then? Cheers Davey

Prophet!

i went to oen running store and the person recommended the GT2110 as a neutral shoes...then i did my own research and found out its not the best for neutral feet, went and returned it when there's a different person working and she said yeah, that was a totally wrong set up for me. I'm glad i didn't run with it. i think the best way really is to get your running gait analyzed with video setup instead of just quick visual check from the employers.
                    vicentefrijole

I'd agree with all this that's being said here so far... I think a lot of us (myself included) feel a little anxious and insecure when we go into a running specialty store... but I think it's so important to take your time to get the right shoe for your foot... I strongly believe that shoe fit is as individually specific as eyeglass prescriptions and should be treated as such... just because one store clerk thinks a particular type of shoe is great (and it may be for him), doesn't mean it will work for you. If that clerk knows anything about running, they will know that already. Also, try and find a descent running store that will let you run outside with the shoes for a few minutes (ask if you can, they may not offer). Stores do this all the time.. as long as you don't step in any mud, they can still sell the shoes to someone else. And take your time and demand to try lots of different shoes (and a variety of price ranges... they may always start you with the expensive ones) until you get one that feels great to run in... if a shoe doesn't feel great in the store, it's not going to get any better with age (probably much worse). Lastly, try not to buy shoes based solely on color/style/how they look... easier said than done, I must admit, but if a shoe feels really really good, you'll probably be able to overlook a few 'external flaws'... beauty is only skin deep? Big grin
                        I too have a neutral gate and the higher density medial midsole and varus wedging does not help. The shoe flexibility is very important. I do not need a lot of cushioning, but I find a snug fit helps a lot.

Jeri from Houston

Many can but; in many cases you pay more to have the stability devices. I am a Wear Tester and have no problem with so called Neutral and Stability shoes. I also have no problem with wearing Lightweight shoes as daily shoes on Concrete and Asphalt surfaces. I would advise you to stick with less complex shoes for daily running. Aditional stability is a benefit for most in Long Training Runs and races like the marathon. Most runners need additonal stability when their form changes due to fatigue. For 10K and shorter races stick with Neutral shoes. Good choices are ASICS Cumulus, Nimbus or AVIA Avi Trainer, Tunned Trainer. Many other Brands work the same but; my experience is limited to ASICS and Avia in recent years