Au revoir, ma caféine! (Read 888 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Parting is such sweet sorrow, but I can't have you making me have to "go" 2x on a single 2 hour run. Heck, you made me have to tinkle 2x on a 75 minute run last week, too. Motherhood wreaked enough havoc on my bladder without you stepping in to make matters worse. So this week I will gradually be removing you from my life--at least pre-run. I refuse to let potty stops slow me down on race day! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I weaned myself off of caffein a few months ago. I still drink decaff but I never drink it before my run ( though I will have a cup of coffee AT LEAST 2 hours before a race). Love how it cleans my system out. Good luck Kirsten!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I'm going to miss the "regularity-enhancing" effects of regular coffee. Hopefully that won't become too much of an issue. Sad k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

You could maybe time your caffiene a little longer before your run? You know... if it takes a hour for the effects to be felt, give it 2 hours before? It's so hard to give up our drug of choice...

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd do that, but the effects seem to stick with me for a long time. Plus my weekday runs are done in the AM as soon as I drop my son off at school, so those days if I want my "fix" I will need to wait until after my run, I think. I should really just do my best to get rid of that demon. I like coffee, but I don't really *need* the caffeine, so weaning myself to decaf is a good option, I think. k

~ Sarah Kay

I hope your not giving it up all together...there are too many health benifits associated with coffee consumption...if anything drink more! Read This: The Performance-and-Endurance Enhancer Athletes of all persuasions have participated in tons of tests to evaluate caffeine as an enhancer of performance and endurance, and the results, say researchers at Canada's University of Guelph, are "clear as a bell: caffeine works." The tests show that ingesting 330 mg (or 5 mg per kilogram of body weight) 30 minutes to an hour before workouts results in longer endurance, faster times, less exertion, less fatigue, and more rapid recovery -- up to 30 percent better in each category. The most effective caffeine, though, is in tablet form, not in coffee, because the 100-plus other compounds in coffee probably block some of the effect of caffeine. Megadoses, however, are not the right answer. Persons who do not drink caffeine steadily get the best workout-enhancer effect. In fact many groups, including the International Olympic Committee, forbid "very high doses," which they define as 600+ mg. per day (about 5 cups of drip-brewed "regular"). The other caf caveat: Don't consume while working out. As a potent diuretic, caffeine dehydrates; what exercisers take for fatigue could be serious dehydration. from: http://www.fitwise.com/Benefits_Caffeine.asp
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The tests show that ingesting 330 mg (or 5 mg per kilogram of body weight) 30 minutes to an hour before workouts results in longer endurance, faster times...
                Ha, frequent potty stops certainly won't make for faster times, though. One single can of Diet Coke yesterday AM required that I stop 2x during my hour long run, yesterday--first stop was only a mile down the road and I peed just minutes before walking out the door. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

What has the weather been like where your live?
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pretty cool, dreary, damp...do you think that would be a factor? I never thought of that. Today I had 0 caffeine before my run (just a single can of Diet Rite, which is not caffeinated) and STILL felt the need to pee literally 2 blocks from my front door, even though I went right before putting my shoes on. So annoying. So I stopped a mile into my hour run...grrr.... At least I didn't need to stop a second time. I'm really afraid to drink anything before my 10 mile race on Sat. I will have my Camelbak on me (45oz.), but I don't want to be having to stop at porta-johns 2-3 times during the actual race. I'm slow enough as is. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

You know, I've seen the mention of Camelbak's. I have one, but....at what point do I need to start using one? How long a timeframe or at what distance should I be carrying water with me? Kimmer
                      My goal in life is to be as happy as I possibly can. - Me
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I started using my Camelbak this Summer, mostly for any run where it was really hot and I would be out for over an hour. Now I just take it for my long run of the week, which is at the 2 hour mark, now. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ugh, stupid friggin' bladder! AGAIN, 10 minutes into my run I had to GO. 10 minutes after that I already felt the need to pee. I only did a 45 minute run, but the last 20 minutes were agonizing...I was determined to make it home to pee, and I did. And I actually lost 2#s from the time I left for my run until weighing myself just now--2#s in an hour. And my urine is crystal clear--not a hint of yellow. WTF?! I am thisclose to calling my doctor and asking if there is anything that can be done. This is seriously ridiculous. I don't want to have to chose between being hydrated or running without having to stop to potty every 10-20 minutes. A single can of non-caffeinated diet soda shouldn't be doing this... k

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Ugh, stupid friggin' bladder! AGAIN, 10 minutes into my run I had to GO. 10 minutes after that I already felt the need to pee. I only did a 45 minute run, but the last 20 minutes were agonizing...I was determined to make it home to pee, and I did. And I actually lost 2#s from the time I left for my run until weighing myself just now--2#s in an hour. And my urine is crystal clear--not a hint of yellow. WTF?!
                            Kirsten, How much water do you drink before your runs? It's very possible that you're completely hydrated. Try doing your usual routine up to an hour before your run and don't drink anything during the last hour. That would let your body process all the unwanted water. You won't get dehydrated in an hour, unless you roll out of bed and go running immediately. Bring some water with you and take small sips along the way and see if that makes a difference.
                            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

You know, I've seen the mention of Camelbak's. I have one, but....at what point do I need to start using one? How long a timeframe or at what distance should I be carrying water with me? Kimmer
                              Kimmer, I think the rule of thumb for brining water is if your run is longer than an hour. However, like everything else in running, everyone's different. Some don't drink a drop of water for an entire marathon, while others sweat buckets even on a 5k. As you run more, you'll gain the experience to know when to bring water. Does your mouth feel dry after your run? If it does, then you could use some water on the run. You could also weigh yourself before and after the run. That works best if you account for the water you drank between weighings, and if you don't pee during the run. From there, you can calculate your sweat rate (pounds per hour) and determine if you should drink during your run.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten, How much water do you drink before your runs? It's very possible that you're completely hydrated. Try doing your usual routine up to an hour before your run and don't drink anything during the last hour. That would let your body process all the unwanted water. You won't get dehydrated in an hour, unless you roll out of bed and go running immediately. Bring some water with you and take small sips along the way and see if that makes a difference.
                                Just a single can of diet soda...I'm actually afraid that plain water would make matters even worse. I am generally up at 6:45, get my son ready for school, then on the way to school I will down the soda and be out to run by about 9:15. I finish the soda generally by around 9, so maybe I will try drinking it earlier. I might want to drink something as soon as I roll out of bed, maybe. I didn't have this problem when I was running in the evenings, but I don't really have that option now that my son is in school and the days are already so much shorter. This bladder thing is really my #1 concern for my race this Sat. It's just weird, 'cause I'm only drinking 12oz of fluid, but I'm peeing a LOT more than that. k

~ Sarah Kay