2013 Sub 1:20 Half Marathon (Read 87 times)

Kentucky Runner

Hey everyone, I am a new poster to the forums here. I have used this site as a running log off and on for a while, but I just recently found the forums. I am registered to race the Kentucky Derby Half Marathon on April 27th. I have never raced a half marathon before, so I would love all the training and racing advice anyone will give me. My goal is to go under 1:20 hopefully hold around 6 minute pace, but since I have never raced anything longer than a 10k, I am not really sure how fast I can go.

I saw other threads with goal times for various distances, so I thought I would make this one to see if anyone else has similar goals as I do. I also wanted some advice on what distance of a tune-up race or races should I do and when would be the best time to do a tune-up race? Thanks in advance for the advice!

PRs: Mile-4:33 5k-16:24 10k-34:37 

2013 Goals: Sub 1:20 HM , Sub 16 5k, Sub 34 10k

Judging from your PRs, you could probably step out your door right now and run a sub 1:20.  The hardest part for you might be reigning it in and running slow for the first half.  If a sub-6 min pace is your goal, run the first 10 miles at this pace and see if you're up for a quicker pace for the last 5k.

As far as tune up races are concerned, a 5 or 10k a few weeks out should be sufficient.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Bottle Opener

My PR's are fairly similar to yours just slightly faster and my half marathon PR is 1:15:51 (and I've run a dozen other ones between 1:16-1:18), so if you ran the anytime in the last year or so you should have no problem running sub 1:20 even if you just do the work you did for those shorter races.

Did you have a training progression in mind for this race?  What has your training been like during the last 6 months?

Racing for Beer & Glory

http://www.roadkillracing.com

Kentucky Runner

Yea I ran in college. I never really got much faster than I was in high school due to some injuries and other things. I graduated last May. I have never been much of high mileage guy. I focused on the 1500 my Senior season, but I also ran a couple 5ks. Last summer, I took some time off sprinkled with some light running. My legs needed some rest after all those years of competitive training and racing. I did light mileage in the fall 30-40 a week, mainly just easy mileage. A few tempos and fartleks here and there. Raced a turkey trot 10k for fun inabout 35:40 or so. I really started to try and get back into halfway decent shape this winter. I got up to 50 miles a week with most of my runs under 7 minute pace average and some tempos.

Then 3 weeks ago, I sprained my ankle pretty bad on the edge of the sidewalk when it was snowy and icy. So, I couldn't run for a week. I did a few alternate workouts. The next week I did some light running. This week, it is still weak but I have got in about 30 miles. Pretty much all easy except for one moderate 6 miler at 6:30 pace. So, I am trying to build myself back up again. I still feel like Ive got enough time to get in alright shape as I am still 9 weeks out from my race. I had a broad plan, but it got messed up by my injury obviously. Now, I am just trying to build my mileage back up with mainly easy to moderate mileage to allow my ankle to continue to heal. Then hopefully, I can start running with more intensity about 5 weeks out or so from the race.

PRs: Mile-4:33 5k-16:24 10k-34:37 

2013 Goals: Sub 1:20 HM , Sub 16 5k, Sub 34 10k