The Fast and the Furious (Read 802 times)

I had the TV on while cooking breakfast this morning and heard an ad for a movie with the following quotes:

"Million dollar quarter mile" and "These guys are professional runners".

I was pissed when I turned around and found out it was an ad for Fast 5.  Anyone else think they should remake these movies about running instead of cars?

Elite street miler and ex-convict Dominic "Dom" Toretto and his crew: Jesse, Leon , Vince, and Dom's girlfriend Letty, use three modified 1995 Nike Pegasus’ to perpetrate a string of high-speed, purse hijackings, stealing over $600 in merchandise. LAPD officer Brian O’Conner is sent undercover on a joint LAPD-FBI investigation to apprehend the gang. Brian uses his cover job at The Athlete’s Foot, an aftermarket shoe store, to make connections and infiltrate the local running scene. He enters his modified 1992 Adidas Marathoner into an illegal race with Dom and two other runners by bartering the receipt, but loses to Dom's modified 1993 Nikes after going out too fast and not carbo loading the night before. Brian gains Dom's respect, however, when he arrives in time to prevent Dom from being caught by police responding to the race. As they flee, Dom and Brian accidentally venture into southern California's "Little Saigon", encountering Dom's rival, Johnny Tran and his gang, who open fire with safety pins from their race bibs; rupturing the a nearby nitrous tank and destroying the shoes in the resulting explosion.

I might watch that.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      Julia1971

I think it could work if it were bank robberies...  And, they could wear Vibrams to throw off the CSI people - I'm thinking no footprints on those things.

As a runner, I look at chase scenes in movies a lot differently now.  Most often, it's along the lines of, "there is no way that bad guy could run that fast for that long without stopping unless he's training for something".  Sometimes, I say it aloud and the person I'm with says something like, "movies are about suspending reality, so shhhhh!".

As a runner, I look at chase scenes in movies a lot differently now.  Most often, it's along the lines of, "there is no way that bad guy could run that fast for that long without stopping unless he's training for something".  Sometimes, I say it aloud and the person I'm with says something like, "movies are about suspending reality, so shhhhh!".

I always think that!  As if instead of "I live my life a quarter mile at a time" drag racing cars they're secretly out there "living their lives 26.2 miles at a time" off camera.

Julia1971

I might watch that.

Have you played the game Balderdash?  You would rock the movie category.

@h2bubbles: I think you've got a winning pitch.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just last night I saw a zombie that could barely stagger a 20:00 mile chasing a beautiful young blonde who was clearly in prime physical shape.  On late night TV, that is.  How was it that he was always on the verge of taking her into his grasp?  For what it's worth, he was wearing dress shoes, and she was barefoot.

Oh roo roooo!

h2bubbles, that is REALLY REALLY FUNNY!  Thanks for the laughs!

Julia1971

Just last night I saw a zombie that could barely stagger a 20:00 mile chasing a beautiful young blonde who was clearly in prime physical shape.  On late night TV, that is.  How was it that he was always on the verge of taking her into his grasp?  For what it's worth, he was wearing dress shoes, and she was barefoot.

Ugh!  So annoying.  Usually the woman doesn't think maybe she'd run faster if she removed her high heels...

Tivo has been recording episodes of The Outer Limits for me.  Yesterday, I watched an episode called The Zanti Misfits.  Grown men, including members of our armed forces, weren't able to outrun what looked like really big beetles.  Here's a clip from YouTube.  The lady did remove her high heels.  But, she kept falling flat on her face for no apparent reason as no obstacles were in her path.

sincerely silly

lady did remove her high heels.  But, she kept falling flat on her face for no apparent reason as no obstacles were in her path.

I wonder sometimes if some people (myself included) in real, crazy, life/death situations would just freak out and lose motor control and fall on my face all the time.  I've tripped plenty of times for no reason just being distracted playing soccer or basketball...to be fair I usually roll and make a decent recovery. =P  My point is, is it possible to be so scared that you forget how to move?

shin splints are my nemesis

sincerely silly

I think it could work if it were bank robberies...  And, they could wear Vibrams to throw off the CSI people - I'm thinking no footprints on those things.

I'm reminded of Men In Black, when Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) is super impressed by future Agent J (Will Smith) being able to chase down some alien in the beginning on foot.  I guess Will Smith was a good guy and not a bad guy, and also a very in shape NYPD officer, but still. :-) Running!

Julia1971

I wonder sometimes if some people (myself included) in real, crazy, life/death situations would just freak out and lose motor control and fall on my face all the time.  I've tripped plenty of times for no reason just being distracted playing soccer or basketball...to be fair I usually roll and make a decent recovery. =P  My point is, is it possible to be so scared that you forget how to move?

I think it's definitely possible.  I didn't mean to make light of people in those types of situations - just the movie cliche of the woman who can't seem to outrun a slow moving monster.  In this case, I would have just waited for the bug to catch up with me and stomped on 'em with my pretty high heel shoes.  Smile  And, I trip all the time, too.  My parents actually bought a one-story house because I would fall up and down the stairs so often because I was running them too fast.

She was slowed by severe Achilles tendinitis and plantar fascitis caused by not easing more moderately into barefoot running.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

sincerely silly

I think it's definitely possible.  I didn't mean to make light of people in those types of situations - just the movie cliche of the woman who can't seem to outrun a slow moving monster.  In this case, I would have just waited for the bug to catch up with me and stomped on 'em with my pretty high heel shoes.  Smile  And, I trip all the time, too.  My parents actually bought a one-story house because I would fall up and down the stairs so often because I was running them too fast.

Oh, I know. And they lose their shoe and get their clothes stuck on everyyything. Haha. I guess I was just wondering if there was any basis to being a total hapless klutz in such a situation. Here's to never having to experience one!

And those are very good parents. :-)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

She was slowed by severe Achilles tendinitis and plantar fascitis caused by not easing more moderately into barefoot running.

She did the fall-on-her-face for no reason thing, too.  PF, probably.