Sunscreen (Read 1118 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I use the spray type sport sunscreen on sunny days, especially runs of an hour or longer. Although the aerosol version is more expensive, I find it much faster and more convenient to apply ... meaning I'm more likely to use it. Its also less messy and therefore easier to use when I'm not at home (e.g., at races).
    DW just bought that for me (manual spray, though not aerosol). 90% of my running is done before 6:30 am so it's usually a non issue. they say you shouldn't try anything new on race day, but I am goign to use it for Saturday's marathon.

The shirtless wonder

I didn't like the aerosol because it made my bathroom floor sticky and also made me sticky, and I tried both Neutrogena and Coppertone Sport.
      That's very true. Never apply that stuff indoors! I always apply outdoors. Make sure you remove your watch and sunglasses when applying it or you'll have a sticky film on them. Greg
        celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I am bad about sunscreen. I mostly run before 7 am and I tend to forget later in the day. I use the aerosol ones with my kids because they cant run away that fast. I use a sensitive skin one on my face when I ski, but I tend to just wear a hat when I run.
          I'm in the same boat. I never wear sunscreen, and the little exposure I get early in the day or in the early evening pales in comparison to the damage done while marching and teaching drum corps. I go with a hat to protect my face, sunglasses for my eyes and nothing else (except normal clothing). If I have to (aka my mother is visiting), I use the aerosol version. Tick spray/deet, however, I'm all about. Lots of lyme here, and I run through a lot of wooded areas/parks. Chris

Chris
          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

kcam

I use Neutrogena SPF 55 with Helioplex. It's what my wife picks up at Costco. It's actually pretty good in that it doesn't sting my eyes. I sure hope it works cuz I run every day at noon. Guess I'll find out in 15 or 20 years.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I use Neutrogena SPF 55 with Helioplex. It's what my wife picks up at Costco. It's actually pretty good in that it doesn't sting my eyes. I sure hope it works cuz I run every day at noon. Guess I'll find out in 15 or 20 years.
              Really...doesn't sting the eyes? How's it feel to your skin? I have a really hard time finding sunscreens...I have yet to find one that is "sweat-proof" and that Coppertone sport burns like acid when it gets in the eyes (also contributed to eczema flare-ups on my face when I used it the first Spring that I was running). I've done a month of tanning the last two Springs to at least help keep me from burning as my runs in the sun get longer. But I'd rather just find a sunblock that doesn't make me miserable.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I use Solbar. Very waterproof. I can't get ANY sun on my face. But, now they're saying waterproof sunscreen is destroying the Bay. Great...

- Anya

kcam

Yeah no stinging of my eyes. Now, I don't put it on my forehead as I wear a hat but I do put it on the rest of my face and my arms and neck and with any other sunscreen by the time my run is over my eyes are burning because I invariably rub some into my eyes. Whoa, that was a long sentence. The Neutrogena doesn't seem to ever bother my eyes.
                    I also apply sunscreen year round. I have a few different brands that I use on my face, usually specifically for faces or sensitive skin so they won't cause breakouts (i.e. Shiseido, Clairins, Lancaster, Lancome). I try to apply at least 20-30 minutes before running to make sure it's absorbed. Then I splash a little bit of water on my face and wipe around my eyes to avoid it melting and running in my eyes. I usually wear sunglasses and/or a hat as well. For my legs and shoulders I like the Coppertone spray too.
                    Giant

I use OMBRELLE spf 30 sport by L'Oreal and love it. It is sweatproof, waterproof and frangrance free. It has Parasol and Mexoryl.

The shirtless wonder

Sunscreen burning my eyes doesn't concern me because my own sweat stings like crazy.