65 years old, overweight, want to run (Read 203 times)

sk8termom

Thanks for having me here! I got the OK from my doctor to start a gradual walk to running program.  I know it will take a long time to get there, but I want to try. I need recommendations for a very gradual walk to run program.

I appreciate any responses!

an amazing likeness

There is a well-proven and successful program designed just for folks in your situation.  It is called Couch to 5K, often abbreviated C25K.

There are lot of apps, and websites dedicated to C25K, give them a look to find one you're comfortable with.

You are very, very, very smart to seek out walk to run approach...the best thing now is walking. Time on your feet building the muscles, tendons, ligaments and all that stuff. Just walk 30 min every day. Build that to 60min. Then look at the various C25K programs.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

sk8termom

Thank you for your great ideas! I'm not up to walking 30 minutes at a time yet, so I need to build up to that. I'm at about 15 minutes now.

an amazing likeness

15 minutes is perfect. Every day. Then when push it up a few more minutes to 20min when 15 is easy. Then 20 will become 30, and so on.

No matter how casual, your walking miles are same distance as everyone else's miles -- they count just as much...each one will move you forward on your journey.  Relentless consistency in getting out there is your goal. The hardest step each day will be the first one out the door.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

+1 to everything milktruck said.

Good luck!

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

Welcome to a whole new world. Take it slow and easy. Find joy in every run. Marvel in how good you feel after you have finished each workout.

Here is a link that will get you going. https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20847509/running-101/#

I intend to live forever . . . or die trying.

lindasaffell

Fighting senescence

Hi, and I hope it's going well for you!  I've been in a very similar situation, and frankly I found even C25K to be a little too pushy for me (or maybe, I am a little too type-A to take it as gradually as you can/should).  More recently I have used Jeff Galloway's beginner 5K training program (via Garmin Connect, yes I know Garmin has a cyber-attack issue right now).  Things I like better about Galloway's run-walk-run training idea:  he does a good solid TEN minutes of warming up and cooling down - I find as an older beginner, this makes a lot of difference; also, he urges us to switch to walking BEFORE getting tired out.  This makes most of the training more encouraging and enjoyable, IMO.  If you, like me, are not training especially to compete with anyone but yourself, you could do worse than to give this a try.  (Not intending to disparage C25K if that works for you, of course!)

Happy Garmin newbie

Renewing my interest in running, sloooowly

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

One of my favourite commercials on TV right now talks about turning "one day" into "day one". The idea being to just get started. Listen to your body and make sure you are walking in decent footwear. It's much easier to get going and stay moving if your feet don't hurt. Wink You can do it! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

kcam

Getting in shape is work, and hard work at that (don't fool yourself into thinking it's gonna be 'fun' or 'joyful')..  It doesn't come easy.  Know that going in but persevere and you'll get in shape over time.  I've been running for 30+ years and I don't find every run 'joyful', maybe it's just me.  I DO find immense satisfaction in every run and in staying fit over the years.  I agree with finding comfortable shoes and clothing, also try to get out before it gets hot and try to find a shaded place to walk/run.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thank you for your great ideas! I'm not up to walking 30 minutes at a time yet, so I need to build up to that. I'm at about 15 minutes now.

I think walking is great for endurance training (even better on hilly terrain)  I’m lucky as I have dogs which always keep me reasonably fit with approx 15//20 miles of walking each week. 

I agree about getting good suitable shoes and also stretching as part of your daily routine.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

sk8termom

Thanks so much for your amazing responses!  I have been walking about .6 miles per day. Went to the track today and was able to do 40 steps walking, 20 steps lighting jogging for 1/2 mile. This is a composition track and easy on my body. Will be trying to do this 2x weekly, walking 20 minutes the other days/

TammyinGP

that's great progress!  I think you are taking a smart approach and you've been given some sound advice.  good luck as you continue to build on what you've already accomplished! Can't wait to read about how you ran your first mile non stop! It's not that far away!

Tammy

sk8termom

Thank you Tammy! I will get there, slowly but surely.

At 65 it would be a good idea to add lifting weights twice a week .

preventing muscle loss is very important.

Spam crap