Speeding up at the end of easy / long runs (Read 649 times)

OK. I finally got on board and I have deliberately slowed my easy run pace significantly. I was doing easy / long runs at around an 8:55 - 9:05 pace. I have dropped that back to about a 9:30 - 9:45. I kind of like it, and I feel much fresher for speedwork and long run days. It took me a while to come around, but I feel like my hard days are much more productive since I backed that pace off, and adding miles has been much easier. My question is this... I have gotten into the habit of speeding up the last 1/2 mile to mile on easy runs. Not to race pace or anything, just more of a "comfortably hard" level. I guess I just like the feeling of finishing out the run strong. Will this help or hurt my overall training or performance, or is it not an issue? Should I just maintain pace right through the finish instead? Thanks for any input.

"I aim to misbehave."

Feeling the growl again

Help. At least on the days you're feeling good on the run. If it's an off day just continue to finish easy. The idea is to remind the legs of turnover and get a little refreshing pickup in without actually doing enough work to necessitate extra recovery. At least it works for me...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Help. At least on the days you're feeling good on the run. If it's an off day just continue to finish easy. The idea is to remind the legs of turnover and get a little refreshing pickup in without actually doing enough work to necessitate extra recovery. At least it works for me...
        That was my gut feeling. I assumed getting by body and mind used to speeding up at the end of a run can only help me finish strong at races. Thanks for the input.

"I aim to misbehave."

some folks would argue that... what you are doing is really just ruining a good easy run...
          Hannibal Granite

I do this on a lot of my easy/recovery runs. As long as you aren't racing the last part of your easy runs, or trying to maintain a harder than normal pace for a long time (more than a few minutes, maybe up to a mile) then it won't hurt and will likely help. Obviously, if you are feeling worn-down or tired near the end of a run don't feel you should be speeding up though, then just maintain easy pace till the end.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

I do this all the time too. I just have this mentality that I should always finish strong. But I'm not anywhere near an expert. But I don't think its hindered me yet

Prince of Fatness

I may be a little more conservative than most. I do this sometimes but not always. When I do, it's during my long run. I figure that way I'll get more bang for my buck doing it after I've been out on my feet for an hour and a half or so. I think that keeping most of my easy runs just that, easy, has helped me.

Not at it at all.