very late with the weekly report, but hey, here it is:

M - 45min run

T - SRD

W - 45min run

T - 45min run

F - 45min run

S - 45min bike

S - 1h20 run

longest long run since APR 2018. Sigh. Managed two runs under 9:00 pace, so there is some improvement.

still trying to figure out my job situation... it looks like I solved the impossible two-body problem.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Getting your stomach scooped out really sounds painful and I've never had anything comparable done, except throwing up.  

EDIT: Oh, I almost would have liked to read the thoughts of your bathroom break as an intro. I'm imagining something like..."If I'm out of here in the next 30 seconds I can still break 84 minutes." Sort of the Columbo version.

Could the GI issue be some kind of sickness that just decided to hit you that day? Sort of a 24 hour flu that was amplified by racing? Anything off earlier that week for stomach or food issues possibly contributing to it?

I didn't think that way, just because I wasn't looking at my watch.  My thoughts were really just "oh sh!t" in both senses of the expression.  Along with a later realization that I might have just done something really awful, since that part of the race was on a military base....

I really don't know what the cause is, and that's what frustrates me.  Had I eaten something problematic the day before, this would have been totally expected.  But I was SUPER careful - as careful as I was before CIM.  But I have had several similar instances in the last 3 weeks, which is one reason to get checked out.

As for the scoping, for the stomach they go in through the front end...  It's called an upper endoscopy.  That lets them see the esophagus, stomach, and first part of the small intestine.  For the rear half, options are a colonoscopy or a flex-sig.  The colonoscopy goes a lot further, but requires a lot more "prep."

For an upper endoscopy or a colonoscopy, they sedate you to the point where you're unaware of what's going on - aka "twilight."  For a flex-sig, they'll let you stay awake, and even watch on a TV if you want.  The flex-sig is uncomfortable, but not painful - they pump you up full of air first to inflate the intestine, which feels like awful gas.

Thus ends a brief discussion that is more than anyone wanted to know....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

is this the endoscopyAHEAD forum? hehe

Running Problem

Problem Child

It's called an upper endoscopy.  That lets them see the esophagus, stomach, and first part of the small intestine.  For the rear half, options are a colonoscopy or a flex-sig.  The colonoscopy goes a lot further, but requires a lot more "prep."

For an upper endoscopy or a colonoscopy, they sedate you to the point where you're unaware of what's going on - aka "twilight."  For a flex-sig, they'll let you stay awake, and even watch on a TV if you want.  The flex-sig is uncomfortable, but not painful - they pump you up full of air first to inflate the intestine, which feels like awful gas.

Thus ends a brief discussion that is more than anyone wanted to know....

I think I'll set some those ad filter tracking things into WTF mode on YouTube now.

"Hey Alexa/Google/Siri find me videos on endoscopy." Would this be odd to say in a public bathroom around lunch time? Asking for a friend.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Wow.  Apparently I killed the thread.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

I can take 50% of the blame if that is ok with you.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I can take 50% of the blame if that is ok with you.

We had a good run! 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

kcam

Well, alrighty then ... anybody wanna discuss my last colonoscopy?!  No?  Great!

Well, I tried my old 3X3200 with 4X200 workout yesterday over lunch.  Successful?  Yes ... and No (don't you hate it when people answer with that?).  I learned that I'm not fit enough to truly do that workout yet, but I'm close. 

I did the first 3200 just fine, 400 jog, second 3200 starting to feel it towards the end, 400 jog, third 3200 I got all skeered and bailed on it at 1600.  Jogged 200m then did another 1600m repeat to get in the full 9800m at threshold pace.  I was worked though and could only manage 3 200's afterwards.  The 1600's were actually run faster than the 3200's (didn't try to do it but a 1600 is just plain easier mentally than the 3200).

It's a 2 mile jog out to where I do my intervals and, of course, a 2 mile jog back to work afterwards.  That 2 miler back to work after the workout was brutal as I was so tired.  Normally, I can just cruise back to work no problem.  I was a little shaky the rest of the day, my employer did not get their money's worth yesterday afternoon!  About 12 miles total for the day

Today I ran 7.5 at easy pace.  No soreness or tightness anywhere but could feel the fatigue in my legs.  Seems like I'll live to run another day which is good because I'm on my club's 50+ team for Sunday's Oakland Marathon relay.  I think I'm starting the race off with a 7.something mile leg.  Should be fun.

Running Problem

Problem Child

kcam Could you have been going too hard for the 3200s? Apparently this workout is REALLY popular right now (all over strava, and here) so I'm wondering if you just started too hard because you like the workout so much and halfway through that third set of 2 miles it was too much. Possibly doing them at 7:30/mi pace may have been more beneficial but at least you saved the 200m workout. Nice paces too.

My RB bailed on today's downhill workout so I might just do the 9 mile tempo run Hanson's suggests.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

kcam

Absolutely.  I thought I was going at the 'correct' pace but the 'correct' pace is not the same day to day depending on how you feel / daily stress levels / recovery level from last workout / weather etc.  In retrospect, I shouldn't have gone so hard early on.  As always, it's best to go at 'effort' level and not 'pace'.  It's all good though, as long as I didn't break myself!

PS - another tough thing about this workout is that I'm by myself.  I feel like that's the toughest way to do intervals.  Even on your own on a track would be easier mentally than a bikepath with no one else on it.  I think it's beneficial though, as it simulates doing the hard work out there on a road-course race.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm too busy watching my bracket turn red to identify as a runner today.

Also, it's going to be cold and windy so I don't WANT to identify as a runner.

Marathon training has all kinds of aspects I was unaware of. Apparently there is a mental side to this running thing.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Failure, and a success last night. Failure for running by feel hitting my pace. Success for recognizing how "too fast" feels. Kind of creates stomach, and side pains. Not looking at the watch was difficult mentally since I wanted to SOOOOO bad. I mean...it's RIGHT THERE. While I probably won't have to run by feel for a while (post boston) I really thing it's worth exploring more of. I just need to back off the pace more, run by feel more, and accept when there is a headwind it will make me slower. The funny thing....some of the slowest paces I ran were actually goal pace. I don't know why I couldn't stick to them. The ending was the worst part. I misread the watch and combined with "the finish line is right around this corner" (instead of at the beep" I hammered out a "strong finish" just to blow up gloriously 0.15 miles from the finish. Heart rate tells the whole story. Nope....6:55 isn't goal pace. It's a different training pace and the workout proves it. Kudos to those who told me to run by feel, learn to run in wind, and train for everything. Legs felt much different last night than they would have running downhill for a few miles. Plus I know how running way too fast will feel, the IT band problems I THOUGHT I have aren't too bad on the flats, and I can at least go 10K at sub 7 pace. It also got a lot of miles done which makes hitting 60 easier. Unsure what the OFFICIAL plan says for this week. I think I need 25 for the rest of the week so MAYBE Saturday will be shorter than 16 (scheduled) which might be nice with weather.

interview in about 1.5 hours. I'd LOVE to get this job just because it's out of my current office. I'm over this place and coming in with the "don't care" attitude might be reflected in work/reviews/attitude. I was slightly irritated when I said "someone should have brought donuts" (I'm usually the one spending $13 for a dozen on a random Friday) and someone says "I was all on board for you to bring them." Yeah...that is my office.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Absolutely.  I thought I was going at the 'correct' pace but the 'correct' pace is not the same day to day depending on how you feel / daily stress levels / recovery level from last workout / weather etc.  In retrospect, I shouldn't have gone so hard early on.  As always, it's best to go at 'effort' level and not 'pace'.  It's all good though, as long as I didn't break myself!

PS - another tough thing about this workout is that I'm by myself.  I feel like that's the toughest way to do intervals.  Even on your own on a track would be easier mentally than a bikepath with no one else on it.  I think it's beneficial though, as it simulates doing the hard work out there on a road-course race.

As someone who does 95% of my training alone I find it easier. Aim for the pace, stick to the pace, and I have no one to compare myself to. I don't need to "keep up" with a faster runner or run easier to stick with a slower runner. I set the training pace based on where I'm at, or what I think I'm at, and go for it. If you check my Strava runs you'll see I do a lot of bike path running for Tuesday and Thursday runs. My speed work previously was back and forth on a road next to a school on lunch. It's also easy to quit sometimes because "no one will see" so it just requires a different approach. No one sees mean no one to compare to and no one to tell me I'm doing good. Also no one to distract me. Plus running NOT on a track, at least for me, simulates race day more because "run to that tree" is like running to the finish line or catching someone. The watch doesn't ALWAYS dictate the end of the race and with the current attmepts to run without looking at the watch you have to do SOMETHING other than "run to the beep" sometimes.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Pretty much disagree 100% with all of that, in the most respectful way possible.

We're getting that moisture from sky stuff again.  I though we were done with it.  Was thinking of going to the old dirt track for a few laps after work, won't be as nice but I still might.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

As someone who has struggled mightily with LT pace this cycle, I cannot stress enough that you need to run by feel. I use my LT pace as a cap in how fast I can go, not a target. Therefore, if I went out in this 3x2 mile workout at what felt like LT pace, but was actually 10 seconds slower, I wouldn't intentionally put in more effort to get to LT pace. However, if I was 10 seconds faster than LT pace, I certainly would intentionally slow down.

You should honestly run every single pace that way: easy pace and MP are caps, not targets.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)