Best way to carry two phones? (Read 104 times)

Frederika

Hi, all.

New to running consistently and trying to make a habit of running in the mornings before work. The problem, is that I have a demanding job that requires keeping my work phone on me at all times in case there's an emergency. For personal reasons, I prefer to keep my personal phone on me, too. Is there a good way to carry two (not small) phones while running? Ideally, my work phone needs to be easily accessible in case it rings.

Thanks muchly.

Julia1971

I have the same issue when I run-commute or run during my lunch break.

If you don't mind them, a FlipBelt might be a good solution.  Depending on how large your phone is, the ones with two openings are probably large enough to carry two phones and both phones are equally accessible.

I don't really like belts so I use a bondi band or similar product on both arms.  (I also have an Amphipod phone holder that I wear quite often but I find it's too bulky to wear on both arms.)  I've also invested in tights with one or more thigh pockets and during winter runs, will put the phone(s) in there.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'll second the flip belt. I've been able to run with 2 bottles and a phone in there, no problem, so 2 phones should be easy. It's a little weird at first, but you get used to it, and it's pretty secure.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If you are female, you might consider the Koala Clip.  Depending on the size, you might be able to squeeze two phones in there.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dumrunner

If you are using an iPhone as your personal phone, an expensive solution is to get an Apple Watch with cellular service and use that to track your runs and receive personal calls. Then you would only have your work phone to carry.

I believe there are similar solutions on the Android side, I am just not familiar with them.

an amazing likeness

How about an armband on each arm -- there are hundreds of options in terms of size, shape, etc -- and it would be somewhat balanced.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Maybe get a running stroller and put the phones in it!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

berylrunner

Rick

Most Ultra running vests have two large front pockets to hold water bottles.   Should hold phones ok.

That being said, you can't even spend and hour without a phone?  Crazy.   My best runs are gadget free.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Yeah, I concur that carrying a phone while running is nonsensical, but I also understand that for various reasons some people NEED to.

The idea of a hydration vest is the best solution! There are several small ones that have no rear pocket for a bladder, and just the front bottle pockets. At Decathlon Sports I saw one like that for $20. I don't see it on their website, though.

Another good option might be a larger hydration/gear belt like the Ultimate Direction Utility Belt or the very similar Naked Running Band.

And yet another option are the lycra "compression" running shorts that have big elastic pockets built in.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Julia1971

Most Ultra running vests have two large front pockets to hold water bottles.   Should hold phones ok.

That being said, you can't even spend and hour without a phone?  Crazy.   My best runs are gadget free.

Not sure about the OP's situation but I'm a supervisor who works in a building that is...  How should I put this?...  subject to emergency evacuations and lock-downs.  (My favorite was the fire drill during my post-run commute shower which led to me shivering outside in the cold while waiting for the building to be cleared for reentry.)  So, I carry my work phone with me any time someone might think I'm on the clock/in the building - like lunch runs - so if something happens, I can communicate with people.  My boyfriend's company allows their employees to pair their personal and work phones, which makes me envious.

Also, +1 on the vests.  I didn't mention it in my first post but for summer run commutes, I wear a hydration vest if it's a 10+ mile run into work.

berylrunner

Rick

Yes, that came across rude.  Just wanted to open some discussion as this forum is so quiet.   Understand the work and emergency situations,  but can we admit that we have become too dependent on phones.   My last race people wasted way to much time on their phones.  Group runs are interrupted with the bings of alerts. Loading apps to track routes and constantly checking.  I guess call me old school.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Julia1971

Yes, that came across rude.  Just wanted to open some discussion as this forum is so quiet.   Understand the work and emergency situations,  but can we admit that we have become too dependent on phones.   My last race people wasted way to much time on their phones.  Group runs are interrupted with the bings of alerts. Loading apps to track routes and constantly checking.  I guess call me old school.

It's okay.  Now, when your running partner points and rants at the women wearing two cell phones, you can give them a reason why that might be the case.  Smile

I actually like sports tech but agree that it can be annoying when people don't use it respectfully.  I keep my phone on vibrate, though, and try to turn off app notifications because I do hate how intrusive all of this has become.  I don't want to stop what I'm doing to get an alert from Grub Hub about great sushi in the neighborhood or whatever.  So, I hear ya.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think there's a difference between a) carrying a phone and b) looking at/talking on your phone while running.

I've started carrying a small personal phone since the Koala Clip I mentioned earlier makes it fairly easy to.  I don't use it at all before, after, or during the run.  But it's nice to have in case I take a bad step and roll an ankle and need a ride home.  I've also turned on Google tracking so that my sig other can check in on where I am during my run.

(I actually have two personal cell phones - my main one that I use as my phone, and then a small cheap phone that I just use for running, checking in my gear bag at races, etc).

And as noted, there are certain jobs where you may need to be available.    A doctor who is on call, for example.  Being able to carry a phone is the difference between being able to go for a run or not.

Re: combining work and personal on one phone - depending on your career, that may not be a good idea.  In business litigation, we sometimes have to take forensic images of employees' work phones.  If you use one personal phone for both, then that means we're imaging that phone.  Which means that we may or may not be able to exclude your personal content.

That's one reason I have a completely separate work phone - never do personal stuff on the work phone and vice versa.

(and yes, this means I have 3 phones)

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Julia1971

Re: combining work and personal on one phone - depending on your career, that may not be a good idea.  In business litigation, we sometimes have to take forensic images of employees' work phones.  If you use one personal phone for both, then that means we're imaging that phone.  Which means that we may or may not be able to exclude your personal content.

That's one reason I have a completely separate work phone - never do personal stuff on the work phone and vice versa.

(and yes, this means I have 3 phones)

We're never going to get that option at my job for client confidentiality reasons but I had always assumed the encryption keeps the data separate but it's good to know that there can be circumstances where they take all of it.  (As an aside, litigation is also why so many managers don't put anything in writing anyway.  "Say it forget it, write it regret."  Edited to add: thinking about some of the things I've seen people write in email and thinking that adage probably isn't followed as much as I think.)

I do very little personal stuff on my work equipment.  I will allow my staff to text me they are sick/running late because I don't actually check my work phone before I'm on the clock but that's it.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

We're never going to get that option at my job for client confidentiality reasons but I had always assumed the encryption keeps the data separate but it's good to know that there can be circumstances where they take all of it. 

Nope - encryption won't do that - it just prevents the phone from being imaged without the passcode.  Some phones you can partition, and depending on the make/model of the phone, we can sometimes do a partial image.

Edited to add: thinking about some of the things I've seen people write in email and thinking that adage probably isn't followed as much as I think.)

It's amazing how many people will type something sarcastically or tongue in cheek, not realizing how different a statement will sound/look when it's quoted in a legal filing or newspaper article.