oops, no Chicago Marathon for Lance (Read 928 times)

Hawt and sexy

Wow. I am all for the ban from cycling as that is what happens when a cycists signs for their professional license and is found to have used PED's. I get the ban from Triathlon as he would have been competing as a pro and the WTC is enforcing the WADA decision.

I don't understand the Chicago Marathon declining his participation as part of the LiveStrong Foundations marathon team. Are they professionals? Will they recieve monies for placing at Chicago? If so, then yes, ban him if and when USA Track and Field decides to enforce the WADA decision. If not, let him run.

Unfortunately, USATF is an organization that also signs to enforce bans given by USADA and WADA. The Chicago course is certified by USATF and must follow USATF rules. If Lance wishes to continue in sport, he needs to participate in non-Olympic sports or stick to uncertified courses.

I vote professional wrestling. That would be fun.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Ceffeine addicts

Dang.  I hope beer is a good masking agent or I'm hosed.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

He knew the rules- he systematically and repeatedly broke them for years, and lied about it for years. For his arrogance alone he deserves contempt.

He achieved fame he did not earn, set up a foundation whose lawyers defend him and which purports to fund research to find a cause for cancer when in fact little of its revenues go for this purpose, and until recently he owned a jet presumably paid for by Livestrong (unless cycling pays well enough to allow the purchase of $11 million jets.)

In my view he deserves whatever he gets.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

jvcc06

Roll eyes

Here we go again. Weeee!

Runners run

xor

Edit: this post no longer makes sense because the thing I was replying to has been removed and I was too much of a lazybones to quote it.

-----

Cancer prevention related activities?

Huh.

I could use me some of that.

(Livestrong got out of the cancer research grant business several years ago)

I am in the middle of my annual round of tests.  Yesterday was bloodwork and MRI. Today was CT w/ contrast day.  I'm grumpy as hell. Monday is bone scan and something akin to the woot "bag of crap" I think.

MoBramExam

Guess Lance Armstrong values are not Chicago values.

Feeling the growl again

2) Livestrong does donate money to cancer research.  Is it the most efficient charity in terms of money raised vs money donated?  Probably not, but it is a legitimate charity that donates millions of dollars to cancer prevention related activities.

The myth is alive and well, and you are incorrect.

Link:

"Gifford found that the brand name was used in an unusual way, as there is a for-profit active lifestyle website also called Livestrong. In addition, the foundation has scaled back its research funding, although many people still assume Livestrong is a research-based foundation. 

Livestrong’s CEO, Doug Ulman explained the motivation for pulling research funding. “Most organizations are about the disease. They’re about trying to solve a disease, and we are about trying to im­prove the lives of people that are battling the disease.”

So in addition to the continuing myth that Livestrong funds cancer research, once the non-profit built a good name for itself Armstrong used that goodwill to sell an almost identical domain name (livestrong.com vs livestrong.org) and pocketed money from that transaction.  Illegal?  No, but it sure raises some eyebrows on ethics.  It fooled me, I went looking for the non-profit site and ended up on the for-profit site.

Livestrong gives zero dollars to research today.  It stopped a number of years ago.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oooh. A whole new thread defending doping and lying and cheating.

I mean, defending poor discriminated-against, misunderstood, well-meaning cheaters.

How long til funny photos start showing up?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The point here is that he isn't "competing" -- he's hobby-jogging to raise money to help cancer victims and their families. Letthe potential donors judge his cheating/innocence in that regard. Why cripple the fundraising effort? Does it really punish Lance the Athlete?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Hawt and sexy

How is this hurting fund raising? Lance could run a marathon every day and charge people X dollars to run with him. He could do the same on a bike if he wished. He just can't do these things at an event where USADA or WADA is involved. Honestly, I see this as an opportunity for a series of races that Livestrong can create in order to allow Lance to enjoy athletics. If Lance's rep is too tarnished, the idea would just fail.

Now excuse me while I laugh at the idea of a sub 3 marathon being a hobby jog.

I'm touching your pants.

Depends on how much EPO you've used Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Depends on how much EPO you've used Smile

And how many extra hours you take that you don't count in your finish time.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

The point here is that he isn't "competing" -- he's hobby-jogging to raise money to help cancer victims and their families. Letthe potential donors judge his cheating/innocence in that regard. Why cripple the fundraising effort? Does it really punish Lance the Athlete?

There was an Outside article a few years ago about a journalist who deliberately doped with several agents so he could report on the effects (which were huge, from his description).  He felt the need to search around for an event that he could participate in that did not record placing so his doping did not affect other athletes (he used some bike ride in France).

The point is, the Chicago Marathon records places.  LA is fast enough that he could impact some people who do indeed care about this.  If he wants to hobby jog a fundraiser, there are plenty of cancer walks out there he could do that are truly non-competitive.

I have a big issue anytime the charity bearing his name is used as a shield for his personal misbehavior.  The foundation has plenty of other people it can use to raise money to remind people that cancer exists, in case they forgot.

#artbydmcbride

Livestrong isn't the only organization that has scaled back funding research.  You can't just throw money at scientists and have them come up with new and and exciting lines of research every month.  Many of them, Susan G. Komen for example, spend much more on mammograms, cat scans, counseling, wigs, transportation, etc. than for research.

Awareness programs and prevention programs are a need also.

Runners run