Frostbite? (Read 174 times)

ckerr1999

I went for an 11 mile run this afternoon and was outside for about 1.5 hours. Once I finished my run I took my gloves off as I walked back to the house. The walk was less then 5 minutes. By the time I got inside I think I had frostbite on all my fingers. My fingers were completely white and I didn't have any feeling in any of them. When I finished my run, the outside temperature was about -5C/25F. I am sort of a loss at how I could get frostbite in less then 5 minutes. I was pretty cold when I finished my run, and I guess once I stopped and took off my gloves I cooled down very quickly resulting in frostbite. Anyhow once I got inside I ran lukewarm water over my fingers and they were fine within about 5 min. Definitely a weird feeling to have.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Doesn't sound like frostbite...I'm no expert, but according to the Wikipedia article I found, it could be frostnip.

Sounds painful either way!  My fingers get cold easily, too.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

ckerr1999

Thanks. Definitely sounds like Frostnip. Very minor.  My fingers didn't hurt, but were numb.

Latent Runner

I went for an 11 mile run this afternoon and was outside for about 1.5 hours. Once I finished my run I took my gloves off as I walked back to the house. The walk was less then 5 minutes. By the time I got inside I think I had frostbite on all my fingers. My fingers were completely white and I didn't have any feeling in any of them. When I finished my run, the outside temperature was about -5C/25F. I am sort of a loss at how I could get frostbite in less then 5 minutes. I was pretty cold when I finished my run, and I guess once I stopped and took off my gloves I cooled down very quickly resulting in frostbite. Anyhow once I got inside I ran lukewarm water over my fingers and they were fine within about 5 min. Definitely a weird feeling to have.

Definitely not frostbite, and I've always thought the whole frostnip thing was a bit made up.

Either way, when this happens run cold water over them and then gradually increase the temperature as your hands (or feet which can suffer the same symptoms) warm up.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
          • 2-mile: 13:49
          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
          • 5-Mile: 37:24
          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
          LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

At +25F for a few minutes, it likely wasn't frostbite. Plus it doesn't sound like it hurt. Frostbite hurts, more so when you thaw it.

As already mentioned, look up Raynaud's.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              Joann Y

Raynaud's

Runslowalksalot

Yup, sounds like Reynauds,   I've got it too.  I've  got to be careful about keeping the fingers warm.   Even after soaking in  Warm water it takes a bit for the color and feeling to come back.

BeeRunB

Ah the white fingertips...I used to get that every once in awhile in winter up in New England. Don't worry about it. It ain't frostbite.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Raynaud's

Spelling corrected.  The question is, how did I do a copy/paste a wrong spelling from Wikipedia with a link to an article with the correct spelling.

Anyway, I have a mild manifestation of this, in which my fingers turn numb and yellow, even in cool temperatures.  It doesn't happen when I'm running (better circulation?), but when I'm biking or doing other outdoor activities.

Joann Y

Spelling corrected.  The question is, how did I do a copy/paste a wrong spelling from Wikipedia with a link to an article with the correct spelling.

Anyway, I have a mild manifestation of this, in which my fingers turn numb and yellow, even in cool temperatures.  It doesn't happen when I'm running (better circulation?), but when I'm biking or doing other outdoor activities.

I've got it too. Last winter I went for a 1-2 hour run outside, felt fine the whole way and then realized I couldn't feel my fingers. Freaked me out. I just thought how freaking stupid that I could give myself frostbite while running as a full grown adult. So dumb. Then slowly dawned on me what it was. Now it'll happen after exercise even on the treadmill if I get chilled after. Never really happens while running, usually after.

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

I've got it as well.  In my case, three fingers could be fine ... two will be just frozen.  Weird deal.

Tim