What's your coldest run ever? (Read 169 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

CanadianMeg and JRMichler for the win, but last Thursday I went 1.8 miles at -13F, wind chill was -39F.  Other recent days have been single digits but less windy, and I'm not inspired to do more than 2 miles.

Oh, you guys want to use windchill; hold my beer!

In Fairplay, it would be -20-30 bulb temp, with 30mph winds coming off the Mosquito range. So, 60 below zero out in the open. I ran in the afternoons, so it was probably -25 with windchill. Of note, often my Toyota pickup was the only car around that would start in the morning without help, and I didn't use a block heater.

In Central Oregon, I remember leaving to walk to school one morning and it was -42. Not much wind that I remember, but feet were definitely numb after the half mile there!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

AndyP19

I think I'm spoilt here in Melbourne, while it can become about -3 rarely (Centigrade) usually it's pretty good running weather.. heat is more a problem here than the cold!

jeffdonahue

Not sure actual temp but with wind chill it was -18F in upstate NY when I went to pick up my son from college.  I did about 9 miles and at one point the wind made my eyes water, and then the cold froze the tears so my eyes froze shut.

Not sure actual temp but with wind chill it was -18F in upstate NY when I went to pick up my son from college.  I did about 9 miles and at one point the wind made my eyes water, and then the cold froze the tears so my eyes froze shut.

Owww.  I once did a legit run with my husky in -6F for 3 miles. He loved it.  I survived.  Actually, it wasn't that bad since there was no wind to speak of.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Maybe I should have said Canadians are excluded from bragging about running in the cold. Cold isn't an accurate description when you can say the degrees and not have to specify F or C because they are the same number. The races held in Antartica are not that cold.

For base temp, I think it was probably -38*C (-36*F) or -39*C (-38*F).

Windchill, coldest is -46*C (-51*F) or -48*C (-54*F).  That was probably only a mile or so just to say I'd done it.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

jsfuller

My two coldest runs are Feb 14, 2021 at -19F (actual) plus about 10 mph wind, and a year ago tomorrow, Jan 7, 2022 also at -19F in Running Ahead and -20F on my household thermometer, but no mention of wind in the running log, so probably in the 5-10mph range. I usually note if it is dead calm.

I have a picture with icicles on my eyebrows from a recent -8F run, but I don't know how to upload it here (so I made it my Avatar, since I didn't have one).

And I'm still in the US. Last I checked, Minnesota was not part of Canada. We just get some of their weather.

Xmas morning it was I believe 20 below with wind chill and I nearly froze my dick off with my 3 mile hobbyjog. It's ok though it's rarely used, my dick I mean. So there's a masochistic component to this clearly but plenty of winter left here in WNY so I'll be back later to try to break my masochistic records.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

kcam

Xmas morning it was I believe 20 below with wind chill and I nearly froze my dick off with my 3 mile hobbyjog. It's ok though it's rarely used, my dick I mean. So there's a masochistic component to this clearly but plenty of winter left here in WNY so I'll be back later to try to break my masochistic records.

Read through this thread for some ideas / help there ....

Dick Hurt in the Cold Morning

RiverSide-Jogger

moderate climate over in here in Ireland means we don't get the extremes of cold.

But in winter months I regularly jog in temps of -2 celsius.

This works out at 28 °F.  Not all that cold really.

If there's frozen water on the road surface I tend to give it a skip.  Just keep to the cold dry days.

All business

I did one in 0F (about -18C) many years ago when I lived in Chicago. I was bundled up, and did 6 miles.

My log notes: "I saw a parked SUV that had "you're killing the environment" written on the snow on its hood. That made me laugh."

Thanks for a reason to look back on old entries!

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Runnerx2012

No reason provided