Bridge to Terabithia (Read 718 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you have kids...RUN to see this while it is still in theaters. I caught a matinee today with my son and my friend and her son. She and I were pretty much sobbing by the end. Beautifully done, well acted. I think it may have been filmed in NZ, too...not sure, but WETA (LOTR effects studio) did the effects and there were quite a few NZ companies credited in the trailer. Nice to see Robert Patrick, too. I really liked him on the X-Files. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

GREAT movie! I was in tears as well as my (shhhh don't tell anyone) my dh.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Now that was a bath...

That looks like a great film. Hey, talking of Weta - I am thinking of applying for a job here... http://www.spookers.co.nz/index.html Weta do all the special effects at Spookers and I fancy a weekend job acting as a Zombie or chainsaw weilding serial killer. It would be right up my street! My daughter went to Spookers and got locked in a cupboard by one of the actors playing a serial killer. It really freaked her out even though she knew it wasn't real. I have to wait until I have been driving six months though as they don't let me drive solo after 10pm until I have been driving for that long! Unfortunately, Bridge to Terabithia isn't out here yet but I will definitely keep an eye out for it! Claire xxx
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          I remember loving that book as a child but I know the movie is gonna make me cry so I might have to wait for the DVD release.
          ---- Cynthia
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cynthia, I knew that the little girl would die and I was dreading it. But I had no idea how much it would upset me...and the actress who played her really made her so real--she was the kind of young woman every little girl dreams of being. Such a beautiful movie. I definitely plan to buy the DVD once it is released. I predict that it will become a real classic. Very timeless tale. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting...I just discovered that Leslie was played by the same actress who was that little gum-chewing brat in "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory." She really has some amazingly diverse talent! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Cynthia, I knew that the little girl would die...
                Hey, how about a spoiler alert before posting something like that!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, how about a spoiler alert before posting something like that!
                  It's not really a big secret...the book's been around for a while...(1977) Wink I knew that detail going in, but it didn't change the movie for me. I wouldn't want to take a child to it without knowing that, though. There are quite a few angry parents out there that took their kids thinking it would be a warm/fuzzy/feel-good film from what they saw in the trailers, which it is...but not in quite the way most had expected.

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah that is all I even remember about the book. The girl dies. Don't remember the plot or the character names or anything. But it was just that powerful in the book, sounds like the movie stays pretty true to it.
                    ---- Cynthia
                      It's not really a big secret...the book's been around for a while...(1977) Wink I knew that detail going in, but it didn't change the movie for me. I wouldn't want to take a child to it without knowing that, though. There are quite a few angry parents out there that took their kids thinking it would be a warm/fuzzy/feel-good film from what they saw in the trailers, which it is...but not in quite the way most had expected.
                      DH and I had NO idea that was going to happen. I've never even heard of the book and I was (and am) a MAJOR book worm.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Imminent Catastrophe

***SPOILER ALERT*** Still, for those of us not in the loop, it's common practice to warn readers you're about to reveal a critical plot point. Reminds me of some jokers who drove past the crowds lined up to buy the Harry Potter book yelling "SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE", ruining the ending. I know you didn't do it intentionally, but just realize that you might be spoiling it for a reader. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ossbPGIVikU

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Guess I didn't know it was such a big secret, being that it's on the ALA list of most banned books in school libraries (because of the death issue) and was a Newbery winner (not obscure) 30 years ago. I read a newspaper article about it before seeing the movie, so I guess I didn't view the plot as secretive, unlike a film like "The Sixth Sense." But I don't think that knowledge would ruin the film for anyone--it certainly didn't for me. In fact, I think it helped me to emotionally prepare for what I knew was coming and to enjoy the bonds the 2 main characters developed, with the knowledge that the young boy would need his strength to deal with the loss of his friend at such a young age. It still came as a bit of a shock, since the viewer doesn't actually see the character's demise. I'm glad I was able to prepare my son, too, as he lost his grandfather just 4 months ago. k

~ Sarah Kay

jokers who drove past the crowds lined up to buy the Harry Potter book yelling "SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE", ruining the ending.
                            Perfessor, do you even realize what you just did?

Dog-Love

I had no idea that Dumbledore dies...huh...one less book to read. Anyone want the ending of The Crying Game.
                              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Perfessor, do you even realize what you just did?
                                LMAO!

~ Sarah Kay