winter buildup (Read 1859 times)

SMART Approach

I get your point - But a down cycle each year is not a bad thing - To me the most logical time is when the weather is the worst and there are no races to run.

I am not logical - So I usually run the least in Summer - Too many other things I like to do.

Eddy - I think its a great time for easy miles and 1-2 easy to moderate workouts a week.  1 that touches LAT - Nothing crazy: 20 minutes at LAT or 5x1 mile is plenty.  The other one that touches faster speed - Could be striders or 1-2 minutes on / off.  Or as we in WI often have to do ... the dry pavement fartlek - If you happen to come accross an area of pavement without ice and snow ... Run fast across it until next patch of ice and snow.

I also think its a nice time for group running

+1  More easy miles is always better but  think about what you can maintain in your lifestyly. Also, don't completely eliminate all up tempo stuff - just less volume in winter for faster stuff.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Why is it sideways?

Rest the body, rest the mind.  If you are eager to restart training it was probably long enough.

Agreed--keeping in mind the difference between being eager to train and being eager to run (the first will probably take longer.) I always run well off of a break.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That's awesome.  My own personal studies have shown that the reverse is not as successful -- training for 1 month and taking the other 11 off hasn't produced much in the way of good results.

Maybe you just need to adjust your definition of "good results" --- increase weighting factor of "leisure time available" and decrease weighting factor of "race speed results"

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.