Post COVID support group and discussion (Read 205 times)

Alright.... I did a 'quick' search, didn't find a similar topic or group within RA, and decided to reach out to this forum.

COVID sucks.  We all know it.  My guess is that most of 'you' haven't had it yet.  But some of you have.  For those who have had it, we all recognize that my experience is different from yours.  The physical, emotional, and spiritual challenges of acquiring and navigating COVID are real.

For purpose of baseline, I've loosely categorized COVID into 8 different levels (based on my personal thoughts and discussions with many who have either witnessed another category or perceived that category to be consistent among all who have had COVID.

1. Asymptomatic

2. minor 2 (or 3) day flu ("it's only a flu" type of people)

3. Horrible pain and fever, dissipates quickly (4 - 5 days), no long term implications

4. High fever for 7 - 10 or more days, but no need for hospital stay or medications beyond Tylenol or fever reducing medications

5. Hospital - oxygen challenges, inability to breathe confidently beyond survival breathing

6. Respirator required

7. Coma (near death)

8. Death

With this thread, my hope is to navigate how to get back to normal and have a support group of similar challenged individuals (post COVID) help me navigate some of the physical and emotional challenges of getting back to doing what I want and need to do actively.

In many ways, I feel resigned to retire from activity and give up completely on any future athletic goals beyond an occasional 5k race or a 5mile run through the neighborhood in the future or 10 mile scenic bike ride.  But I don't want to prematurely resign myself from my goals and retire from some of those passions.  My PCP has advised me not to do anything until I go through proper testing and go through complete stress test and other tests to ensure it's safe to begin training again.

FWIW, within the scale above, I was at level 5 and spent 4 days in the hospital.  I contracted COVID a month ago today, with symptoms beginning on 7/15.  I've been out of the hospital for 2 weeks now.  I need a 3 hour nap every day and lack all energy.  I'm unable to eat properly or digest things appropriately.

I'm willing to create a separate group within RA pertaining to COVID support (and encouragement) if none exist.

If one exists, I'd love to join.

Cheers,
    Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Julia1971

Thank you for sharing your experience and starting this thread.  I'm glad you're out of the hospital and feeling better.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I’m so sorry, Brian. I’m glad you’re improving. Hopefully without any long term issues.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wow. Thanks for sharing your experience.  I am sorry you are going through this.  I hope your health continues to improve and you bounce back such that you can train and enjoy athletic activities again.  Hang in there!!

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

I did create a group for this:

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/PostCOVIDSupport/

Feel free to join.  I recognize that this group may develop slowly over the next few weeks / months with minimal activity at this stage.

Life Goals:

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Brian, thanks so much for sharing.  I have relatives in Texas who are convinced this virus is not as bad as people are making it out to be.  Their ignorance is frightening.  Sad

Hello.

About 3 1/2 months ago, I began this thread.  I'm finally now healthy enough to begin training.

The depression side of COVID sucks.

The direct symptoms of COVID sucks.

The inability to exercise was difficult.

The fatigue was horrible.

--

A couple weeks ago, I signed up for Ironman Florida 2021 (Nov 6, 2021).

I still am awaiting my cardiologist appointment (12/9), but I'm ready to begin training again.

Looking for a green light to race.

Looking forward to chasing a carrot over the next 12 months.

Stay safe.

Stay healthy.

Avoid COVID.

Be wise.

Thankful for my health regardless of cardiologist test results.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brian - thank you for your story. Although it sounds like an awful journey, I'm glad to hear you can start exercising again. Best of luck to you.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I’ve been wondering how you’ve been doing and concerned by your quiet log. I hope you get the go-ahead to get back to things.

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow - it's been a long, tough journey for you. Glad to hear you're making good progress.  Good luck!

Thank you Zoomy.  My log is quiet online (and has been quiet on RA for a while).  I've been walking a lot (25 miles per week), and now sprinkling in a run/walk here and there.

I just got back from my longest run since the week before COVID.  I did 4.4miles at a very slow pace.

But I'm excited to be back and enjoying this fall / winter weather here in west Michigan.

Thanks!

Brian

I’ve been wondering how you’ve been doing and concerned by your quiet log. I hope you get the go-ahead to get back to things.

Life Goals:

Thank you!

Yes, this has been the biggest medical challenge of my life, and I'm truly grateful to be alive and grateful I get to enjoy whatever level of sport I might be able to enjoy now and in the future.
                          I think I might have taken some of the pleasures of sport for granted in the past.

Cheers,

Wow - it's been a long, tough journey for you. Glad to hear you're making good progress.  Good luck!

Life Goals:

Last week, I got a green light to begin training again.

From July 15 (day I got sick) until December 9th, I was unable to train (apart from some light training with run/walk intervals in the preceding couple of weeks).

On the 9th, my cardiologist gave me the green light.  I still have a couple more tests later this month, but I suspect (based on doctor's comments) that things will be ok.

Interestingly, (or at least interesting to me), both my primary care physician as well as my cardiologist looked me square in the eye and told me that my case of COVID was the worst they've seen all year within their respective practices.  (Neither of them are on the front lines).

Both of those doctors specialize in 'athletes' (even if they're old / middle age groupers that just do fun athletic things as a MOP'er).

Both of those doctors have said that they use my story as an example to other patients regarding how serious COVID can be.

With that said.... I've rested a lot and have 'slowly' got myself back to feeling fine.  When I started this thread I had no idea where I'd be at from a health perspective today.  I slowly allowed my body to tell me what I can do without ever pushing myself too quick.  I'm grateful that I gave myself appropriate time to get back to proper health, and I've enjoyed these last couple weeks running, biking, and swimming again in a manner where I can see myself at the start of a future starting line in 2021.

COVID sucks!

Avoid COVID!

Cheers!

Life Goals:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...I've enjoyed these last couple weeks running, biking, and swimming again in a manner where I can see myself at the start of a future starting line in 2021.

COVID sucks!

Avoid COVID!

Cheers!

I am SO glad to read this. I've brought up your story to anyone in our area who will listen. I hope you won't be saddled with any sort of chronic issues.

Now we can try to predict what races might happen, this year. I'm thinking it's not likely that we'll see anything earlier than the Grand Haven Tri/Du. I have deferred entry to several races from last year, including Bear Lake. I can't imagine that a Memorial Day weekend race will happen...but probably should train based upon the assumption that it will.

~ Sarah Kay

Grand Rapids Triathlon had a FB post this morning stating there's an upcoming announcement next week.

That race swims about "100 yards" from my house, and the start line is a mile from the house.

Hoping they race this year, and if so, I'll be volunteering or racing that day.

I'm also signed up for Ironman Michigan 70.3 (up north, but not Traverse City), but that's a deferral from 2020.

Then IM Florida (140.6).

Let me know if you're racing Grand Haven!

Brian

I am SO glad to read this. I've brought up your story to anyone in our area who will listen. I hope you won't be saddled with any sort of chronic issues.

Now we can try to predict what races might happen, this year. I'm thinking it's not likely that we'll see anything earlier than the Grand Haven Tri/Du. I have deferred entry to several races from last year, including Bear Lake. I can't imagine that a Memorial Day weekend race will happen...but probably should train based upon the assumption that it will.

Life Goals: