Been sick since before Christmas (Read 668 times)

ckerr1999

I haven't been able to run since before Christmas. If you look at my training log I was runnng up until Dec. 19, averaging 25-28 miles per week. Given I have been off for so long how long will it take me to get back to where I us. I am a little concerned since I only started running this past summer. So I am still a very new runner.I got a new pair of runners over the holidays, and they are still sitting in the box waiting to be used. The doctor has me on antibiotics right now. I am hoping to b back to running this Saturday. But I have said that every week for the last 3 weeks. I also bought a garmin 610 ast week as it went on sale. (<$300). But again its sitting in the box. I havent had the energy to set it up yet. Thankfully the marathon I am targeting isn't until the end of October. Thanks for the advice.

npaden

Start running and see what it feels like.

I was worried after missing a few days over Christmas and then being sick that it would take me a while to get back on schedule, but after a few very slow runs I was able to take a couple more days off and now I'm right back on schedule.

My heart rate is still a few beats higher than I would expect for the pace that I'm running, but I feel like I'm right back in the swing of things.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

an amazing likeness

^^^^ This nails it.

Each person's experience is unique. My experience is that cardio comes back faster than muscle strength...you'll have some soreness. That's to be expected.  Recommend you start out by walking for 30 - 60 minutes for a few days, then start jogging part of the walks and build from there.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I agree with this, as well. Don't worry too much about distance or speed at first - just get out there when you can. Smile

I started running this summer and was up to about 20 mpw before I pulled my groin. Yesterday was my first run in 3.5 weeks and I was about a minute slower than usual. I felt it more in my lungs than in my legs, but my legs are definitely sore today. Today's run felt much better than yesterday's and my pace was roughly the same. I plan on just taking it day-by-day.

Feel better soon. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Prince of Fatness

Agreed, or you can even try going out for a brisk half hour walk and see what that does.

Not at it at all. 

ckerr1999

Thanks everyone.

A Saucy Wench

It wont take as long as it will feel like it will the first few times.

Just go out and run, do NOT push the pace or try to get back where you were.  Just run.  Run easy for at least a week until you are sure you aren't going to kick-off a relapse.   Looking at your log I would keep the runs in the 2-3 mile range.  Nothing long, nothing tempo.  Then go by feel after that.

My experience is for a period of time you will feel like you have lost major ground, your speed is low, your endurance is shot, you can't hit your old paces.  Then the cobwebs will shake out and all of a sudden it will be like you never took time off at all.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Buelligan

Coming back after getting sick, injured, or just taking time off is all a part of running.  The key is not getting discouraged when you get your bad self back out there.

Runners run.  They might not run all the time or real far or real fast, they just run.  After you've restarted countless times like I have over the last few decades, getting started again is like an adventure you can relish, not an arduous climb back up a hill you fell off of.

Don't put any pressure on yourself for the next month as far as performance, but by all means get your butt back out there.

ckerr1999

Finally got out for a run today. Still not quite 100% yet, but definately an impovement. Only did a short 2 miles. Will need to take it easy for the next week.

It wont take as long as it will feel like it will the first few times.

Just go out and run, do NOT push the pace or try to get back where you were.  Just run.  Run easy for at least a week until you are sure you aren't going to kick-off a relapse.   Looking at your log I would keep the runs in the 2-3 mile range.  Nothing long, nothing tempo.  Then go by feel after that.

My experience is for a period of time you will feel like you have lost major ground, your speed is low, your endurance is shot, you can't hit your old paces.  Then the cobwebs will shake out and all of a sudden it will be like you never took time off at all.

+1 to all of this - I am in a similar situation to you, OP, in that I was consistently sick for the entire month of November (one thing after another - flu, stomach flu, some sore throat thing, sinus infection, stomach flu again....) and I am just now getting back into running. What I notice is that my heart and lungs are fine but my legs are a little sore after running for half an hour. Which, frankly, makes me want to rend my garments and weep, because I worked damn hard to get back into shape in 2012 after having my son in October 2011, and before I got sick I was almost at the point of running a 10k PR. but the good news is that I clearly didn't lose as much aerobic fitness as I expected during the 2-month layoff. And I'm sure that's the same for you. Just remember, you have nothing to lose by taking it slow at first. The suggestion to go for walks first is a very good one.

tl;dr. I feel your pain. Good luck!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The OP said nothing about his or her symptoms other than that they have persisted for weeks and that they have required antibiotics. Nothing. We know nothing about whether this is some mild persistent sniffle or something that is deeply serious.

How can anybody provide advice to run or not run?

A Saucy Wench

The OP didnt ask for advice on whether to run or not.  The OP stated an intention to run and asked how long we thought it would take  to get back to pre illness performance

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

icom100

Ive been a runner off and on for years now. Im just getting started back into it. I have been sick for several days. I tried to start running again, but got a relapse of the flu. My advice, for what its worth, would be to make certain that you are feeling "normal" before you start running again, and make sure youre not running a fever of any kind. As far as milage goes, since you have only been running since the summer, if I were you, I would start running with the goal of only hitting about half my weekly mileage the first week, if you make it through the first couple of runs without any ill effects, no pun intended. If you hit that goal, then boost it up to 3/4 of your normal mileage. Then depending on how good you feel, you can ramp it back up to normal. You have your whole life to live the running lifestyle, don't push to hard and get injured, or so sick youre out for a long time. The new shoes and gps system will still be there when you get goin.

God bless,

B

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The OP didnt ask for advice on whether to run or not.  The OP stated an intention to run and asked how long we thought it would take  to get back to pre illness performance

And how can you answer that question without knowing what the OP had?