Can I use old shoes to run on sand? (Read 859 times)

On On

I guess I forget at times that people take these things so seriously. My point was and still is just run, don't sweat the small stuff. Now, if an old shoe did cause you pain or injury then why would you go back to it? As for running barefoot on the beach, are you talking 20 miles or a quick mile and back? If it is just for a short trip go enjoy yourself and the experience. I will agree that there are many hidden things in the sand which can cause injury. Also sand by itself can wear down your skin after running on it for a long time (learned from experience). So again, I guess I was not seriously trying to give you advice but offer a comment to not worry about somethings so much and just enjoy your running experience.

...---...

Five months later, I'm still rehabing/affected by an ankle and knee injury I got from a little simple, *easy*, relatively short jog on a beach. Tread cautiously.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Now, if an old shoe did cause you pain or injury then why would you go back to it?
        My original thinking on this was due to the fact that the problem with the shoe was worn out cushioning... they did work, but started bothering my shins when my running increased and the cushioning gave up. I figured, that given that, there would be less of an issue with the sand but seeing all the feedback I got, I'm thinking beach running might not be an answer and I've been convinced that the old shoes really do just need to go in the bin. I'll be living in the woods on an island that isn't inhabited (apart from a couple scientists) and no roads (hence the beach). Also, I'll have no running water so the garden hose suggestion is a bit moot, though it would be nice Smile I'm leaning now towards just giving the running a miss for the 5 months I'll be there but I'm toying with the idea of trying to find some trails that aren't too rough instead. I have relatively new shoes and would prefer to not need to buy new ones for trails... do you think I can get away with low weekly mileage (very low likely) on trails on a regular shoe then?
        The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
        • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
        • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
        • Complete a 10K fun run
        TJoseph

I would take the new shoes. I am not sure what your monthly mileage is, but I usually go through a pair of shoes in 3 - 4 months. If you are going to be there for five months, you may need more than one new pair.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

I have relatively new shoes and would prefer to not need to buy new ones for trails... do you think I can get away with low weekly mileage (very low likely) on trails on a regular shoe then?
            Trail shoes give you a bit better traction and a bit more protection from stubbing your toes on rocks, etc. They tend to be a bit stiffer too. Having trail shoes is, IN MY OPINION, a luxury, not a necessity. You can use road shoes on trails. You can use trail shoes on roads. Just depends on your body. Have fun in the woods!

Roads were made for journeys...