The 49th Anniversary of Doctor Who! (Read 475 times)

runfoolery

"On this day 49 years ago, the Doctor first appeared on TV screens across the UK. 10 regenerations and nearly 800 episodes later and Doctor Who remains the longest running and most successful sci-fi TV show in the world!"

I have to admit, while I often enjoy the revival series, and some of the episodes have been spectacular, Jon Pertwee is my favorite Doctor

In other news.... 49 years ago yesterday President John F Kennedy (USA) was assassinated.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

My family understands--all Who fans in my house! This is the first year in several that we haven't spent the day after Thanksgiving driving up to Chicago TARDIS (we're in Finland for a semester). Luckily, we were able to get the latest season online. Can't wait for the Christmas special!

runfoolery

Sadly, I've never made it to a DW convention. I'll have to try it sometime, or at least go to a Con with a significant Who presence. I see Sylvestor McCoy and Sophie Aldred are at this year's Chicago TARDIS, which very cool.

It's a shame so many of the 70s actors have passed on - Jon Pertwee, Nicholas Courtney, Mary Tamm, Elisabeth Sladen... I think in most cases they just lived their time, but still sad

Chasing the bus

I like the writing in the recent series, the others I find less compelling. My 20yo daughter is a BIG fan.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
            Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I didn't start watching till the 5th doctor. 

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Imminent Catastrophe

For some reason I always think of Peter Cushing. Then he showed up in Star Wars.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Back in the '70s, they showed 4th Doctor episodes on PBS in the afternoons. I never got into it then, but the new series hooked me with a single line: "Lots of planets have a north."

I now watch and enjoy the old episodes, too, but got into the whole thing sort of backwards. Which is appropriate for a time-travel show, I suppose.

runfoolery

Yup - I got into it backwards too, relatively speaking. My local PBS would show it all in large blocks, starting with Tom Baker (4) through to whoever was current, and then they would sometimes backtrack into 3.

It's a shame so much of 1 and 2 are lost. I like old movies so the old pacing and storytelling works well for me. One tip to anyone who might be watching is to break up your viewing - just watch one episode a day or so. A lot of the pacing and stuff is totally off if you watch the stories altogether because they were designed weekly episodes, there were no VCRs, so they repeated a lot of stuff...

I believe I started watching in the mid-80s, when it would have been Colin Baker who was current, but since they kept on showing all the Doctors through, I got familiar with all of 3-7. Still haven't gotten around to watching all the eps on DVD though.

I am tempted by the mega box set of the current 6 seasons, but I'll probably just download or netflix them whenever I feel the urge.

Meat Wagon

Puker

In other news.... 49 years ago yesterday President John F Kennedy (USA) was assassinated.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

The police box on the grassy knoll in the Zapruder film should've been your first clue.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

doctorjen

I'm currently working my way through the newer seasons when I'm on the treadmill.  My dh is a giant fan, and has watched whenever he could find the Doctor on PBS, or wherever since the early 80s.  I watched, or dozed through, many an episode in his dorm room back in the day.  Now, my kids are into it, too.  My #2 child is a college freshman and was thrilled to find that someoneat school recognized her "The Angels have the Phonebox" T-shirt.  

Wandering Wally

Coincidence? I don't think so.

The police box on the grassy knoll in the Zapruder film should've been your first clue.

So the assassination of JFK is a fixed point in time then.  Hmmm...

Seriously though, I've been enjoying the Doctor since the Tom Baker years and am really looking forward to what the 50th anniversary will bring.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Meat Wagon

Puker

I'm currently working my way through the newer seasons when I'm on the treadmill.  My dh is a giant fan, and has watched whenever he could find the Doctor on PBS, or wherever since the early 80s.  I watched, or dozed through, many an episode in his dorm room back in the day.  Now, my kids are into it, too.  My #2 child is a college freshman and was thrilled to find that someoneat school recognized her "The Angels have the Phonebox" T-shirt.  

My 13 yo's favorite shirt...

She really wants the Angels have the Phonebox shirt that your daughter has, but I'm getting her another one with a Dalek on it, just 'cuz I'm mean.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.