What do you carry on long trail runs? (Read 103 times)

gdultra_run

I have been trail running for about 10 years now and have running pack has evolved over that time period.  I recently posted what I carry in my vest https://youtu.be/EdsBv9ZwKPE but always looking for new ideas and ways to make it lighter and improve my safety on the trail.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe you meant to post this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6IzOTJg76E

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

It depends on how long the run is, and where.

On runs less than 2-3 hours I only carry my MP3 player.

On all day adventure runs in the middle of nowhere, I take water, food, athletic tape, emergency blanket, toilet paper, lighter, flashlight, sunscreen, lube, bandana, a little Swiss army style knife, sometimes a little camera like a GoPro. Sometimes a LifeStraw. The athletic tape can be used to repair gear, clothes and shoes, or to repair you (cuts, blisters, scrapes, sprains).

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

A Smith and Wesson 500 magnum whenever I can but occasionallly I want to go minimalist with a whistle.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

T Hound

Slower but happier

I run w that 12 set vest in your video, some good things others not.  At the back end of a long race try getting those chest straps fastened especially with cold hands. Even AS vonteer couldnt do it. Another time those side zippers opened on their own and i lost my watch charger and another charge cord. Lucky i didnt have license/keys in there.  Somebody was nice enough to let me charge w theirs. Those small bottle openings are painful if you want to mix or for AS volunteers but ultraflasks are an easy substitute, exceot they dont fit in the bottle pockets though they work in side pockets.   Im not able to figure out how to secure trifolded poles despite watching video. Other than all that, its a great vest.   I will say it is very comfortable and fits well and doesnt move around.  Has been very durable and used for several years.

On To your question...

Im trying to cary as little as possible, for like 100 mi race: Blister kit , a little duct tape wrapped around pencil for my ass, nutrition charger eblanket headlamp/backup lamp, stocking for ice.  ( for solo stuff if im worried about exposure a bivvy and out on my own and i should get a splint for a longer solo but havent tackled like an overnight solo run or multiday yet). Also  poles if i could attach them lol. Ultraflasks 600 cc with straws. If not avail at a drop bag/trunk or Aid Station Sunscreen bug spray lube. Oh and Light weight waterproof jacket or windbreaker depending on weather.  Baby wipes, always!

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

dumrunner

I always carry a headlamp, a lightweight jacket (I use a Patagonia Houdini), and a space blanket on long runs in the mountains, even in summer. You never know.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

A Smith and Wesson 500 magnum whenever I can but occasionallly I want to go minimalist with a whistle.

I was considering the same, but I bring TP instead.  Not quite minimalist, but I'll get there.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Kalsarikännit

pencil for my ass

Interesting choice.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

an amazing likeness

On To your question...

What question?  There was no question. The OP is trolling for clicks on his video channel...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

What question?  There was no question. The OP is trolling for clicks on his video channel...

which is why I never clicked, just added my nonsensical input. being a spoiler is such great merriment!

Reading the comments above, I was thinking, and here's something that I'm sure will generate very few comments: which gun is best for trail running? 

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

rlopez

I'm with Ms Girl. "tape wrapped around pencil for my ass."

Say more about this because damn.

Smith and Wesson .500 is a fun choice. And lightweight too.

rlopez

which gun is best for trail running? 

I'll bite.

Kind of depends on what you think you need protection from. Snake gun is a way different thing than a cougar or, gulp, bear gun.

But maybe it is for the crazy guy following you.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I'm with Ms Girl. "tape wrapped around pencil for my ass."

Say more about this because damn.

Smith and Wesson .500 is a fun choice. And lightweight too.

I'd prefer the ass-tape over the S&W 500.  If wiki is correct, that little hand-monster can produce more foot-pounds (haha) of energy than a 30-06.  Um, no thank you.  I shot a .475 Linebaugh once (5 rounds) and that was enough for me.  Could have used some ass-tape for that as well.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

rlopez

I'd prefer the ass-tape over the S&W 500.  If wiki is correct, that little hand-monster can produce more foot-pounds (haha) of energy than a 30-06.  Um, no thank you.  I shot a .475 Linebaugh once (5 rounds) and that was enough for me.  Could have used some ass-tape for that as well.

Our buddy Dirty Harry used a model 29 - a 44 magnum. This 500 is basically that gun, but you know, bigger. Bullet calibers don't really match actual bullet diameters, which can be a bit maddening. Anyway, a ".44" is really more like 0.429. 10.9mm. A 50 magnum is 12.7mm, so significantly bigger. The shit hurts to shoot and is very very very heavy to carry.

ELnEC

a little duct tape wrapped around pencil for my ass

Another call for precision in drafting posts.

Is it

1) duct tape, or 2) pencil

that is for ass.