UGHhhhhhhh GRrrrrrrrrrr (Read 702 times)

I am so mad right now I could spit nails. This past Monday my puppy Callie was spaded. Picked her up on Tuesday and things seemed to be fine. Well they weren't. By Tuesday night she got the runs and had stopped eating. I called the vet yesterday morning, told them what was going on and they basically said to watch her for the next 24-48 hours. I asked them SEVERAL times if it could be due to the meds she's on. I was told no. Fast forward to this morning (day didn't start off that great due partly to being up all night long with sick puppy) Dh does a quick look up on her medication (Rimadyl which is a pain med) Well all her symptons are those of intolerance to the med (something they've known about for over 7 years). So we stopped the meds and called the vet. They want to see her this afternoon to see if she's dehydrated etc. I guess what I'm so pissed about is that the tech's should know about problems from meds that they routinely give out (they told me themselves) and should of told me to stop giving it to her yesterday. Guess since she's "just" a dog it doesn't matter. They aren't going to be too happy with me today when I go there! Signs of Rimadyl intolerance may include appetite loss, vomiting and diarrhea, which could indicate rare but serious side effects involving the digestive tract, liver or kidneys. If these signs occur, discontinue Rimadyl therapy and contact your veterinarian. This is what I WOULD have read if they had given me a pamplet with her meds. I need to be smacked for trusting the vet and not checking on the meds before (I) gave it to her Sad

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I can understand your anger. My wife is in Vet-Tech school right now and is learning all about those types of things. And we have a friend that is in Vet school, and they both are learning not all vets are the same. I would personally change Vets if possible.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Sorry to hear it. Good vet care is really hard to come by.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Sorry to hear it. Good vet care is really hard to come by.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Poor baby. I am glad you guys looked up the med and saw the need to take her off of it. Maybe a word to the vet about the vet tech and the lack of advice on the meds would be better than just changing. Won't save Callie from what she just went through but may help a pet in the future.
            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
              Poor baby. I am glad you guys looked up the med and saw the need to take her off of it. Maybe a word to the vet about the vet tech and the lack of advice on the meds would be better than just changing. Won't save Callie from what she just went through but may help a pet in the future.

Even with kids you have to watch everything...can't just kick back and relax assuming everything's taken care of. Just got a prescription awhile back for my son and as the pharmacist was handing it over, he got a weird expression, took it back and said, "Just a minute". Turned out it was double what it should have been. He said even if we'd taken it, the most that probably would have happened is vomiting and diarrhea. It was a physician filling in for my regular one. I haven't needed to go back for anything yet, but when we do, I will mention it. I hope Callie starts showing signs of improvement soon!! Let us know!
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, poor puppy! I hope she is already feeling much better. Sad k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

keeping you and callie in my thoughts...i hope she's feeling better! Poor girl....
                      Thanks guys!! Well first thing out of the vets mouth was an apology. He'll be making sure that he talks to the tech ( I spoke to her today and she didn't cause it's supposedly such a rare thing but that's no exuse) He is leaning towards the meds being the problem but is putting her on antibiotics just in case it's due to infection. She's going to be on the bland diet (rice and ground steak) for the next couple of days. She has drank a bit of water today. So now it's just a wait and see thing. If she's not doing better by Saturday morning she'll be going back to the Vets. Please keep her in thoughts! Our last puppy died at 10 months due to a heart defect and I don't think I or the kids could handle losing her.

Poor puppy. I hope she fights this off soon.

Michelle

shyrunner07

aww, poor girl...I'm glad to hear that she is starting to drink some water again...Sounds like your vet is being very thorough- between you and the vet, callie is in some very caring hands...Smile that tech though...sheesh, sounds like she needs to be schooled on her people skills! Roll eyes
                            How's she doing today?

Michelle

How's she doing today?
                              I was just signing on to ask the same thing. Hope she had a restful night and is getting back to her normal self this morning.
                              http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                                I agree about the tech shy! Thanks for asking Michelle and Alan! She is doing MUCH better today. She finished yesterdays breakfast and had a little bit more this morning and is drinking tons of water. She slept MUCH better and her stools are finally starting to firm up. Oh and she's takes meds WAY better than any of my kids did.