the science of training and the industry of training (Read 312 times)

I am also in need of help.  A trolley operator has lost control of his trolley and it is hurtling down the tracks, faster and faster towards a group of five workers on the tracks, unaware of the danger they are in.  I am standing by a lever, which can divert the trolley down another track where there is only one worker.  The workers on either track will surely be killed if they are hit by the trolley.

Sportsjester, should I indulge in consequentialism and pull the lever because killing one person is a better outcome than killing five people, or should I apply the categorical imperative and allow the trolley to kill the five people because the action to kill one person to save five shouldn't be universally applied?

If you had been coached by Jester you could have outrun the trolley to warn both the group AND the individual on time Wink

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I should add that HS coaches do not "develop" talent, they guide it. Kids show up at their school with innate talent, it is not something that can be created in just anyone. 

And thank you for that....

Which is my point from the beginning. Coaches can't make anyone faster. With kids they simply let them mature, grow, and become faster as they get older, only to claim that's their accomplishment.

Salazar rode the coat tails of Galen Rupp, and had to resort to doping his runners because he couldn't teach him to be any faster.

Since you're willing to go find coaches who know nothing about me, why don't you put your effort into finding a world class athlete and tell them there's someone who could teach them to run 20% faster. See how many of them contact me....

Funny that nobody has mentioned the VO2 study I posted of African pygmies, the Ma Junren story, or even the quote of one of my students.

Not to mention that this is a public quote of one of my internet students who attacked me for years until he had the guts to try it...

"there's a hilly trail I run pretty regularly...about 3 times a month. It's got some slow, gradual inclines and some rather steep switchbacks that kick my ass. I'm a sprinter, not a distance runner. Anything over 5-6 miles and I'm ready to quit. 2-4 miles is what I like to run. It's long enough to get a good sweat going and short enough where I'm not bored out of my fucking mind.

This particular trail loop I run is 3.26 miles according to a GPS based running App I use. If I run it by myself, I cruise in at about 24:00-25:00. I'm not trying to set the world on fire with my distance running skills. If I were to push myself to the max, I'd probably top out at 20:00-21:00.

Anyways, my office has been closed due to some flooding, so I took the week off. I decided to watch Robert's lame YouTube videos and do my best to replicate his running technique. I don't fully understand the technique, nor do I feel comfortable doing it. It's awkward.

I pulled up the App I use and here are the last 6 run times for this course:
      6/18 - 24:45
      6/22 - 24:58
      6/26 - 24:52
      7/12 - 24:15
      7/19 - 24:49
      8/3 - 24:12

I ran the same course yesterday and the only thing I changed was I tried to use Robert's technique on the hilly parts. Those parts are where I really slow down. Normally when I run up hills, I lean forward and bounce of the balls of my feet. I tried standing more upright this time and lengthened my stride, almost to the point where it was uncomfortable. I pulled my arms up to my side like a god damned T-Rex and let my hands hang limp...(that's the only way I can keep my arms from swinging without sticking them in my pockets). I'm not even sure if I'm mimicking his style correctly, but I cruised to the end of my loop at 22:47 and felt about the same as I normally do.

I like to bash Robert as much as the next guy, but I also will give credit where it's due. I can't definitively say why I ran faster than normal. It could have been adrenaline. Could have been that I wanted to finish faster, just to piss myself off. Could have been a lot of things. But I was certain of two things:

1. I looked like a fucking idiot running up those hills
      2. I wasn't any more tired than normal, despite finishing about 90 seconds faster than usual
      "

Not to mention that I have many more quotes I could post...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

T Hound

Slower but happier

I did actually grab the domain www.donaldtrump.ai and hook it up to a random tweet generator. But I haven't updated it since the day he took office. Remember when his outrageous tweets were from *before* he was president? If so then maybe this will take you back to the good old days.

I got a “win bigly”!

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Since you're willing to go find coaches who know nothing about me, why don't you put your effort into finding a world class athlete and tell them there's someone who could teach them to run 20% faster. See how many of them contact me....

20% faster for world class athletes? Nike better get moving on their next special, "Breaking 1:36"

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I did actually grab the domain www.donaldtrump.ai and hook it up to a random tweet generator. But I haven't updated it since the day he took office. Remember when his outrageous tweets were from *before* he was president? If so then maybe this will take you back to the good old days.

If you're into that kind of stuff, reddit has a great section called "Trump Criticizes Trump"

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrumpCriticizesTrump/top/?t=all

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

OK, updated with this thread's material. What I need to do is go back and incorporate all that stuff about why treadmill running is not running.

http://www.hearn.to/jester-o-matic.html

Looks like most people around here now realize that it is just as productive to argue with Jester-o-Matic or IJCGEJ as it is to respond to the OP.

Listen, sunshine, if your IQ was higher than 28, maybe you would realize that if you follow my method, you can run 38% faster. No chess coach will tell you the basic facts of running mechanics. If you study German Shepherds, you will note that their knuckle touches the ground with an impact of 66 times their weight. If you want to talk science, then tell me why German Shepherds are better runners than you are?

It's all very amusing. Complete flip-flops (Nike told coaches not to let me train their athletes/coaches don't know who I am), no verifiable evidence to back up claims, almost every post is an attempt to solicit customers,  no internet search turns up anything regarding teaching soldiers a unique method of walking and running other than a couple articles that were written by people who have no magical claims, no internet searches show hits of any kind relating to Jester claims, etc.

I'm relatively new here, so I got roped in.

Also, two of my coaching friends have got back to me, they have never heard of Nike or any other sponsoring company blacklisting any coaches, trainers, doctors, etc. from working with high school kids, or even mentioned any. There is NO gossip in Portland and Eugene about some guy to be avoided. They thought it was pretty funny.

I think I can safely join the ranks of people who dismiss the jester without any doubts.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Still kicking

Anyone remember the bodybuilder dude on RWOL, who's dad took a video of him running a 400m, he claimed he had a new training method, and was going to set a new marathon record? That was about 5 years ago... and I'm thinking this guy is about 5 years older now, than that guy was then. Same story, different presentation.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

sport jester

Biomimeticist

It's all very amusing. Complete flip-flops (Nike told coaches not to let me train their athletes/coaches don't know who I am), no verifiable evidence to back up claims, almost every post is an attempt to solicit customers,  no internet search turns up anything regarding teaching soldiers a unique method of walking and running other than a couple articles that were written by people who have no magical claims, no internet searches show hits of any kind relating to Jester claims, etc.

I'm relatively new here, so I got roped in.

Also, two of my coaching friends have got back to me, they have never heard of Nike or any other sponsoring company blacklisting any coaches, trainers, doctors, etc. from working with high school kids, or even mentioned any. There is NO gossip in Portland and Eugene about some guy to be avoided. They thought it was pretty funny.

I think I can safely join the ranks of people who dismiss the jester without any doubts.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

That's my whole point, I'm not, "soliciting," The method I teach was used by early humans 23,000 years ago. I openly describe how to learn it, and the joke of this whole thread is how many people tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about, yet refuse to spend 60 seconds trying something new.

Not to mention that I stated coaches, not Nike, told potential students not to train with me, and that was over 10 years ago. So whoever you spoke with, had absolutely nothing to do what I was doing with Nike at the time...

Nice try though.

Maybe you should start with the tape exercise. I'm not soliciting. That a more efficient way to run exists, is documented in stone to be faster than Usain Bolt, and you're far too cowardly to even try it for yourself, is the joke of this story.

As for use, this was one of my Nike runners... (and I have the e-mails to prove it...)

""My name is Chris . I've run for 13 years. I've run the last 11
                      Portland Marathons. I am 46 years old. My PR is 3:40. I need to be
                      about 10 minutes faster to qualify for Boston.
                      I noticed with Roberts style of running my upper body stays more still.
                      Tonight we ran out of Nike Town. My front inner thighs started to get
                      tired after the first mile. I felt fast for the first half of my 5 mile
                      run. Toward the last mile I could no longer keep in good form. My legs
                      and feet were more

comfortable running parallel.
                      With more practice I'll be able to go further, I plan to use this style
                      to
                      train for my next Marathon." Thanks, Chris"

Since I use heart rate comparisons at the same speed, this was one of my student's measurements.

" His heartrate to speed measurements were traditional and how I teach it (KR):

2% incline 147BPM /136 BPM (KR)
                      3% "           154BPM/138 BPM (KR)
                      5% "           167BPM/BPM (KR)
                      7% "           173BPM/151 BPM (KR)

Given running economy is the cornerstone of improving running skill, unless any energy savings are measured, then altering how you run is no improvement.

One of my other Nike runners,

"I noticed that the pull VS push was more efficient. My arm swing was
                      lessened and my head wasn't bobbing as much. My heel strike wasn't as
                      great, which decreased the amount of friction between my shoe and the
                      ground.
                      My calves, hamstrings and gluteus maximus felt like they were being
                      worked more than usual. I also felt like I could run at the higher pace
                      for a longer period of time."

Oh, and this quote is from my Nike handler at the time,

"I don't think Alberto wants to take that chance
                      with his runners. It's possible if you were to take an elite high
                      school runner and show your claims that way first, then I think people
                      will be clamoring for your methods. Just my take, but, most of these
                      elite need to see experimentation happen at least a level lower than
                      them before they're willing to risk a "radical" change in their
                      mechanics."

Which of course is my catch-22, you want me to prove what I teach with elite runners, and the elite want me to teach someone to beat them before they'll take notice. 

And those at lower levels are far too interested in protecting their egos than they are running faster...

Since I have e-mail record, what I did with Nike and the athletes I trained is fully documented. 

Not to mention that I'm still waiting for any poster here to prove they've ever trained anyone. I mean sure you can demand my credentials, yet I'm still waiting for anyone to post a link to anyone who improved through their teaching...

NorNev

I've read every article and link in this forum, do I win anything?

I've read every article and link in this forum, do I win anything?

This fine certificate!

Dave

Ben Obert

That certificate is a more intelligent piece of work than all the other posts on this thread combined.

Update: my other friends coaching in Oregon got back to me. They've never heard of some "Nike blacklisted rogue coach", either. Another former Oregon team mate who's involved in the running industry in Oregon, but not employed with Nike, also thinks the claims are ridiculous, and has never heard about such a person.

All the respected biomechanists and kinesiologists in the running world are known and searchable online. If they have ANY success, or published papers, people know who they are.

The whole thing is a bunch of crap.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Send me their contact information, I'll gladly introduce myself.