Watching the NYC Marathon (Read 100 times)

KillerB

Is anyone else sick and tired of the NYC Marathon coverage? Imagine watching the Super Bowl or World Series and having to break away to hear about the home town of the players.  Now this year we are having to listen to the report of the breathing and heart rates of 10 runners.  We get to see the painting of the lines on the road.  Also, why don't the get some hosts who really know running.

KillerB

Yeah, but people actually watch those other events. I'm sure the ratings for nyc are pretty underwhelming. We lonely few who care should probably be thankful it's on tv at all.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Is anyone else sick and tired of the NYC Marathon coverage? Imagine watching the Super Bowl or World Series and having to break away to hear about the home town of the players.  Now this year we are having to listen to the report of the breathing and heart rates of 10 runners.  We get to see the painting of the lines on the road.  Also, why don't the get some hosts who really know running.

KillerB

You're just bitter because you didn't have Gebrselassie on your NYCM Fantasy team.

Dave

Well I just tuned in and caught Molly Huddle's finish and also the top 3 men finishers.  That was pretty darned cool.  Guess I missed all of the boring parts.  It looked like a nice Fall day in NYC from the television, breezy and cooler.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

pedaling fool

I like the back stories and the following of athletes vitals.

What I don't like is that there wasn't much update on the athletes stats per mile, i.e. pace at every mile and how it relates to finish times; also think there's something wrong with the mileage position updates. For example, Mary Keitany seemed to be on pace to beat the course record, based on her time at the 25-mile point, but she came well below. BTW, I taped the marathon, so I'm going to have to go back and verify this, but nonetheless I wish there were better updates for athlete positioning.

And, I also wish they would show the athletes in the rear, not just the winner, too much time showing the leader. I never heard anything about Gwen Jorgensen, much less show video. BTW, she came in at 2:41:01...pretty good for a non marathoner in her debut.

And Huddle, of course, was outstanding, but once she lost the lead group, we didn't hear or see how she was doing.

pedaling fool

Oh...and about them blue lines...

Do they just weather away after the marathon? How long does that take? And if it rains on marathon day, does it start its wearing away?

I like useless information...I think the term is Infomaniac 

Julia1971

And, I also wish they would show the athletes in the rear, not just the winner, too much time showing the leader. I never heard anything about Gwen Jorgensen, much less show video. BTW, she came in at 2:41:01...pretty good for a non marathoner in her debut.

And Huddle, of course, was outstanding, but once she lost the lead group, we didn't hear or see how she was doing.

One of my pet peeves while the announcer was introducing the elite women was that Jorgensen, in my unscientific estimation, got more applause from the crowd than Huddle did.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be a hater and I have complete respect for what she did. 2:41 at NYCM on what her training reportedly has been is crazy.  And maybe I was too far away from the start to get an accurate read.  However, it seemed that way to me.  If this were a triathlon, I get it.  But given that this was a road race and Molly is one of the best American female road racers right now, I didn't get it.  I don't know.  Maybe it's harder to understand what Molly is accomplishing.

Julia1971

Oh...and about them blue lines...

Do they just weather away after the marathon? How long does that take? And if it rains on marathon day, does it start its wearing away?

I like useless information...I think the term is Infomaniac 

I'm sure it wears off pretty quickly  In fact, it was pretty beat up on race day.

pedaling fool

I like the back stories and the following of athletes vitals.

What I don't like is that there wasn't much update on the athletes stats per mile, i.e. pace at every mile and how it relates to finish times; also think there's something wrong with the mileage position updates. For example, Mary Keitany seemed to be on pace to beat the course record, based on her time at the 25-mile point, but she came well below. BTW, I taped the marathon, so I'm going to have to go back and verify this, but nonetheless I wish there were better updates for athlete positioning.

I just watched it again and they had Mary Keitany at the 25-mile point with 2hrs 13 minutes elapsed, if that were the case, she would have obliterated the course record. To their credit, one of the announcers did say that she had about two miles to go at the 2:14 point (I missed that one while watching on race day), and since they kept the 25 mile status posted through out the rest of the race I was wondering why people were not excited about seeing a new course record set.

DaBurger

One of my pet peeves while the announcer was introducing the elite women was that Jorgensen, in my unscientific estimation, got more applause from the crowd than Huddle did.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be a hater and I have complete respect for what she did. 2:41 at NYCM on what her training reportedly has been is crazy.  And maybe I was too far away from the start to get an accurate read.  However, it seemed that way to me.  If this were a triathlon, I get it.  But given that this was a road race and Molly is one of the best American female road racers right now, I didn't get it.  I don't know.  Maybe it's harder to understand what Molly is accomplishing.

I bet Jorgensen got more applause, Olympic gold medalist for the USA is pretty hard to misunderstand and sounds like a much bigger deal to most people than American record holder.

Know thyself.

I bet Jorgensen got more applause, Olympic gold medalist for the USA is pretty hard to misunderstand and sounds like a much bigger deal to most people than American record holder.

The-us (as in "this" with an accent)

Julia1971

Yeah.  I guess I get it.  I just didn't like it at the time.  (Also, laughing at myself for using "pet peeve" instead of "irked".  Like I have an ongoing dislike of people who cheer for one athlete over another. Smile )

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

While they were following the leaders there was a lot of drama in the battle for 3rd in the men's race and both 2nd and 3rd in the women's race. Huddle and Kipyego were about a minute and :45 seconds respectively behind Chepkirui with 5 to go and both caught her. Huddle was trailing Kipyego by about 20 seconds during the chase, then closed the gap to 8 seconds at mile 26 before Kipyego realized she was closing fast and put on a spurt to pull away. None of this was mentioned until the final 400m of the race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.