Will you upgrade? (Read 1010 times)

Macs are for people who don't know how to use PCs.  

too true.  I've had this pc for going on 9 years now.  Of that time, Its probably been running for 8 years and 350 days.  If you know how to run it, it will last forever. 

so there.

I built a computer in 8th grade (4 1/2 years ago)  and have replaced the video card twice and cpu once, both for performance nerd purposes.. hard drive, psu, mobo, and cd drives are still kickin on the good old XP. I do like Macs though, the price is just a bit much for me.
          Ubuntu rocks!

And my new favorite killer app is Google Voice: truly the biggest killer app to come to telephones since Alexander Graham Bell.

The Verdict? "There's no app for that!" 

I got sucked into the Mac vortex.

I went in to check out the Snow Leopard upgrade for my MacBook at $29.99, and walked out with a 20" iMac, free printer and and free iPod Touch. I'm in heaven....

Oh yeah, I did get the upgrade for the MacBook too.

You forgot two words -- "Macs are for people who don't want to know how to use PCs." They prefer to spend their extra time running rather than on hold to the PC "customer service" line.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

PCs are for people who don't know how to use Unix.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Heh, but PI makes the best compression shorts, baby.  It's ALL about the leg grippers.  Leg grippers keep 'em from riding northwards... Tongue

I just clip them to my thighs with my Apple shuffle.

xor

I think some of us are confusing the concepts of "personal computer" and "operating system" and "graphical user interface".

I can run Unix on a variety of machines.

The underpinnings of the MAC OS is Unix.

When we say "Apple vs PC", we really mean "the MAC GUI and OS versus Windows".  Vista being the primary target because it is a POS.  Both the Mac and the thing we consider the PC utilize similar hardware.

And just for fun, a primary architect of VAX/VMS is now a big cheese at Microsoft.

Unix utilizes the concept of a "magic number".  Then there's x-windows (a GUI started in Unix land) which is conceptually backwards in some ways from how we consider regular ol' windows.

While Unix has the reputation of being hacker-proof, this is a huge mistake... although some of the biggest old-school hacks really mooched Unix applications (namely, sendmail) rather than the OS itself.  But anyway, before Microsoft became the evil target, Unix systems at universities were the targets.  Been there, done that.

Ok then.

Send comments to /dev/null

segmentation fault (core dumped)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Naw, I was just responding in a snarky way to a snarky post.

Arguably, iMacs are personal computers (i.e., PCs).

protoplasm72

I haven't been following the Mac v. PC wars for the past few years.  Does Mac still go all psycho girlfriend on you if you try to build your own machine or upgrade major hardware? The buy my hardware or die philosophy is a major reason windows dominated them and the reason I'd never buy an Apple product larger then an ipod.

I built my pc almost 4 years ago and it's still going strong.  Amazingly this is my last OS install date.

Original Install Date:     9/17/2005, 3:48:22 PM

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson