Buying Running Shoes On-line (Read 1034 times)

va

I didn't spend a lot of time looking around, but I just bought a pair of ASICS GEL-NIMBUS VIII from efootwear.com for $89.99 plus $8.25 shipping, and I thought this was a good price. In the brief time I looked, I didn't see any lower price (the MSRP is $120). I ordered on Friday afternoon, and received them this morning. Just tried them and am happy. Smile
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think online is definitely the way to go once you know what shoe model(s) work well for you. I recently purchased a new pair of my NB 1222s...typically $135 in the store, but I was able to find them for $102 and free shipping online. If I had medium width feet (instead of wides) I could have saved another $20 or so, too. Though, as fast as I seem to go through shoes, I think my next pair will be a cheaper model that was my second choice when I tried the 1222s on in the store back in early Sept. They would be $90 in the store, but I could have them for ~$70 with free shipping online (I'd save $20 if I had medium width feet, again...stupid duck feet costing me extra $$). Froogle.google.com is definitely the way to shop for running gear. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I used to buy my shoes exclusively at running stores. I wanted to promote local business and qualified people. I had bad experiences with the unqualified personel at these stores lately and I found a deal for my Asics Kayanos for 65$ (US) while they were selling for more than twice that price at the store. So I went with the web offer. I haven't found the same deal for the latest Kayanos lately, but I still get some pretty good prices. For the premium I'm paying at the local running store, I would expect better service.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For the premium I'm paying at the local running store, I would expect better service.
          Yep. Brick and mortar retailers really can't afford to not go all-out for their customers when the web offers such amazing deals and free shipping in most cases, too...plus no sales tax. I paid about $8 for my full price 1222s back in Sept. So the total for my shoes was about $143 (and that doesn't even include the gas to drive over an hour each way), rather than the $102 I paid online. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I paid about $8 for my full price 1222s back in Sept.
            Wow. Now that's a good deal! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bah, that's what happens when I post before the coffee has had a chance to reach my brain. I meant $8 in sales tax. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Brick and mortar retailers really can't afford to not go all-out for their customers
                I dunno. My local running store: -Provides great service -Watches me run before EVERY shoe purchase, to make sure my needs have not changed -Provides free coaching -Calls me frequently to ask me how my running is going -Supports local training runs with fluids and energy products -Offer discounts to members of local clubs All this for just $10 per pair of shoes that I buy from them rather then at Zappos. And they are even on the web: http://www.teamnashvillesports.com.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's how a running store SHOULD be, IMO. We have a good one in Grand Rapids, but it's still an hour drive away for me. They own the NB store in GR, too, and I got a good fitting there (though I think the non-branded running store does a better job with fittings and running support--they also sponser lots of runs in the area and offer a running club that I would join if I lived closer). Here's the store in GR: Gazelle Sports k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That's how a running store SHOULD be, IMO.
                    Time to move to Nashville Big grin
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Time to move to Nashville Big grin
                      Don't tempt me...I'm already sick of our "winter" weather and it's still technically Fall! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

The closest running store to my house does watch you run before purchase. It also organizes local races, etc. The problem is that they can't seem to keep their employees. It seems that I was always being served by someone that just started working there and that's not necessarily into running! Also they kind of watch you run while zigzagging between the clothing racks. I'm not sure how helpful this is. Finally, I really got upset with them when they organized a race that happened the exact same day than another local winter race organized for years by another competing store. The only winter race in the area! It's part of the biggest chain of running stores in Canada and it seems they opened a couple of stores here in Montreal and are trying to kill the existing local stores that already did so much to the running community. Angry I'm now avoiding this store although it's only 5 minutes walking distance from my house. I'm now doing the extra distance and buy from their competition. I will buy from the web only if I'm saving 30$ or more, even if I know what I'm getting. I like trying the shoes first. -R
                          Val123 - Can you please include the site where you bought your Asics Gel Nimbus VIII online? Do you know if they ship to Canada.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Val123 - Can you please include the site where you bought your Asics Gel Nimbus VIII online? Do you know if they ship to Canada.
                            Try this for some prices... froogle.google.com Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

va

It's www.efootwear.com Yes, they will ship to Canada. Their site says: "Proudly shipping to the US, US Military and CANADA". Btw, if you find a better price, please post a follow-up note to this topic. Thanks!!!
                                Head to http://www.footrx.com/ for shoes. Jamie is the man, and he won't steer you wrong. I buy all my shoes from him.