Best running shoes for supination with front foot strike? (Read 82 times)

OCRacer

I have high arches which leads to underpronation and I also tend to strike a bit on my forefoot. This has led to shin splints and plantar fasciitis. I currently wear Ascics Nimbus but wondering if anyone with similar issues can recommend other shoes. Thanks!

Christrickery

I've had good luck with both Saucony Kinvara and Altra Torin. Just know that Sauconys wear on the outside edges rather quickly so I at least don't get more than 300 miles on a pair.

Cyberic

I have high arches which leads to underpronation and I also tend to strike a bit on my forefoot. This has led to shin splints and plantar fasciitis. I currently wear Ascics Nimbus but wondering if anyone with similar issues can recommend other shoes. Thanks!

I have high arches and strike a bit on my forefoot too.

I wear all kinds of neutral shoes. Never wore Nimbus, but I have worn a few pairs of Cumulus. I have no secret formula. Personnally, though, from trying many things, my body seems to prefer 8-10 mm drop shoes to 12-13mm drop shoes like Asics and Mizuno trainers, the two brands I was wearing my first two years of running.

Adidas Supernova Glide Boost shoes work great for me and have great sole durability, and I also like Saucony Ride 9s, but although tougher than the Kinvaras Christrickery mentioned, the Ride 9s outer sole is not as tough as Adidas' Continental rubber. My Ride's sole was completely ruined in my normal high friction spot (outside edge of my left foot) after 500 miles, which is respectable shoe mileage, I guess.

Latent Runner

Like you I have high arches and also like you I've gravitated to Asics GelNimbus and GelCumulus shoes; I find the Nimbus a bit lighter and as such better for racing, and the Cumulus a bit heavier/more supportive and as such, better for lots of LSD style training.

The only thing I might suggest is to try and relearn your stride toward what I call a "heal-touch/midfoot-crush" landing.  Also like you I used to suffer from severe shin splints, and by consciously working on keeping my toes up a bit during my landing, I both slightly changed my stride and eliminated shin splints (haven't suffered those nasty apparitions since the mid-1990s).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
          • 2-mile: 13:49
          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
          • 5-Mile: 37:24
          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13