Ryan Hall's New Life (Read 212 times)

pedaling fool

He's now a powerlifter and has added about 50lbs to his frame

Interesting interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFlKMFstkoQ

Marylander

Wow, that's a pretty big shift if he's wanting to be competitive in powerlifting with a legit federation. I'll have to check out the interview when I get some time. Even with gaining 50 lbs he's still really tall for his weight as a powerlifter (at ~5'7" I was considered a bit tall for the 181 class).

GC100k

"Powerlifter" is overstating it. He's pretty much average gym bro at this point.

He's really really super proud of his new found muscle and strikes a pose in every photo. I've always liked him, but stopped following him on social media. He's gotten really narcissistic and obnoxious about it. And he lifts less weight than I do so it's not like he's some great inspiration.

That sounds negative. I'm all for him. Just not really interested in some beginning lifter's minute by minute updates.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

He is not a power lifter,

i saw a video of him benching and his form is horrible

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

GC100k

He is not a power lifter,

i saw a video of him benching and his form is horrible

The one I saw it wasn't a bench press, it was a decline press with his butt way off the bench. When I'm benching something near my limit without a spotter, and I never have a spotter, I figure I can go for it because if I get in trouble I can always lift my butt up and decline press it up. I also use the safety bars.

Marylander

Oh, when I hear "powerlifter" I immediately think someone who is competing. Good luck to him either way. I figure if you've got the physical qualities to be an elite distance guy that you're very unlikely to go elite in the opposite end of the spectrum but it'd be interesting to see. I know there was a guy who went from high end powerlifting (and maybe strongman) to doing ultramarathons at a decent level. I can't remember the name though.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Marylander you don’t look like a runner.

i agree the bone structure for the 2 sports are opposite.

GC100k

To be fair, in the interview Ryan never said "powerlifting", it was Lance who called it that. And in this interview Ryan didn't talk about lifting at all except to say that he did it.

L Train

I've only seen the first 30 minutes so far, but I liked Ryan in the interview, generally.  There was some humility there, and a recognition I think that what he was doing was not good for him physically and maybe more importantly mentally.  Obviously I've never been as serious as him, but definitely recognize the "I was working harder and going backwards" thing.  Good for him for finding something else.  I agree, he didn't refer to himself as a powerlifter, but it seems like he's trying to find a healthy balance in life.  And he still gets to use his knowledge coaching, and doing so with his wife, living in a beautiful place.  Good for him.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Look he was a great runner,

and he and his wife adopted several kids.

that by itself gets my respect.

Thanks for sharing,

was better than I expected,

was interesting to see Lance talking about where to train for lactate threshold...

300m- 37 sec.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah thanks for posting as that was a great interview. He did seem to divide opinion in his running heyday with some people thinking he was a flake because of the DNFs. He comes across as a good and decent guy and in a happy place right now with the new pastime. He’s obviously still passionate about running as he’s now a coach and probably a good one.

I thought it was interesting him saying he felt great when running, but felt shit the rest of the day at his marathon weight. And the hardest running workouts he was changing shoes mid run for the last half at MP!  Ryan Hall gets the thumbs up from me. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

He's now a powerlifter and has added about 50lbs to his frame

Interesting interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFlKMFstkoQ

Wow, so that's what Ryan Hall is up to.  A coaching career and some lifting.  It actually was a pretty nice interview.  I was entertained, which I really wasn't expecting.  Thanks for the link.

His body transformation is amazing!  From a scrawny skinny stick running man to a buff dude with handsome shoulders ...LOL.

Glad he has found some new interests with coaching and lifting.  Still, I wonder if he will ever get a wild hair and return for a later life running comeback.  He is so talented.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt