2 runs a day... good/bad & why? (Read 800 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

I don't have time to run more than 3-4 miles at a time, but I'd like to start running around 5-8 miles a day. Do you think slowly adding a second run would be a good idea? Thoughts?

Bring it on.

More running is almost always a good thing. However, most of what I've read suggests that doubles are best implemented into the schedule of someone running in the vicinity of 70 miles per week. Someone running fewer miles would get more benefit from increasing the length of their single runs. Of course, it also depends on your goals. If you are simply looking to get more exercise, then any additional running will suit your goal. If, on the other hand, you are looking to train for a distance race, then doubles probably aren't the way to go.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Hawt and sexy

At the 20-30 mpw range, there is really no good reason to do doubles. Doubles come into play for those with much higher mileage seeking to build a bigger base and adding more short recovery runs. It can be done, but it would be better to increase distance if you are training for an event. Like, berner said though, if this is just for fun, knock yourself out.

I'm touching your pants.

mikeymike

Yes. If you are limited to 3-4 miles per run then adding a 2nd run some days is a great way to increase your miles per week.

Runners run

I don't have time to run more than 3-4 miles at a time, but I'd like to start running around 5-8 miles a day. Do you think slowly adding a second run would be a good idea? Thoughts?
            If it is because you just don't have tikme to run for a hour or so.......sure why not? If it because you can only run 3-4 miles and then you are too tired to go further. I think two adays wouldn't give you enough recovery time.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

A Saucy Wench

If you only have time to run 3-4 miles per run then ABSOLUTELY doing doubles is great. Will you get the same benefits as running 8 miles straight. No. You wont. Does it mean that because 8 is better than 4 + 4 you shouldnt do doubles. No. You do what you can do. You will still get more benefits than doing 4 + 0 Now if you are training for a longer distance event and you NEED the consecutive time on feet I would press you to examine if you REALLY dont have time. Or just not ideal time. But if you are just wanting to build up a bit of mleage then go for it. I also think it is a nice way to transition the body to higher miles. I am a big fan of inchworming miles. (increase length of runs OR increase number of runs, then do the opposite for awhile)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

Ideally you'd lengthen those 3-4 mile runs, but if time is a limiter than go for the doubles. It's the next best thing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

All the books say to wait until your mileage is higher to do 'two-a-days' but the book doesnt run your schedule..and so if that's the way your schedule works out then trash the book and run what and when you can...... If your schedule doesnt allow for you to run 5 to 8 once per day, then do the two-a-day runs....... Yes Is surely wont hurt you..... Tongue

Champions are made when no one is watching

JimR

Absolutely! George Malley (held American record for 3k steeplechase) , who posts as 'malmo' on Letsrun says do doubles no matter how much or how little you're running. Keep the pace well down when you introduce them. Once you're used to them, do your normal stuff on one of the runs, keep the other one always very easy. I do them whenever I can, I can squeeze in an extra 4 miles every day at noon and, what's nice about them, I can run 'em real slow and easy and not worry at all about pace. Your issue is one of time, not conditioning. So it makes even more sense for you to run doubles for your mileage goals.

Its all about you and what you want and what you have time for, not what somebody says in a book. If you don't have time for the longer runs then adding more short runs is the way to go. I am in the same boat. 5 is the most I can get in on my lunch hour and weekends these days revolve around kids soccer games. So I started adding 4 miles in the eves whenever I go to my son's soccer practice.
                      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                        Another thumbs up for doubles. If you are going to run long races you'll need some long singles in training, but even then a few doubles are a good supplement.
                        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          Commuting to work by running is a great way to work in a two-a-day. And it's good for the polar bears!