Do you think running is painful? (Read 1062 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Not in training.  The last few hundred yards of a 5k are pretty painful.  The last four miles of a Marathon can suck out loud.  Otherwise no.

Usually the pain starts a lot earlier than that for me, in a 5K race.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

If it hurt, I wouldn't run.

I run.

Who are we kidding, Running is painful, painful to get out in the cold, ignoring the "crazy guy" looks running in the rain, trying to not get the stink of tech clothes spread into the rest of the house, juggle schedules so you can get that weekend long run in, finding the shoes that don't give blisters after your favorite shoe has changed drastically for no good reason, explaining that you are not terminally ill to be weighing only 125 lbs, trying not to limp so as not to hear another lecture about how I am ruining my joints with running etc etc.

But the feeling I get after a fast finish run, seeing the world wake up as you run, the run after storm with the clouds to one side, bright sunshine the other with a rainbow in front of you, seeing places and sights most people will never get to see makes me forget that pain.

MTA Stupid auto correct and paragraphs on iPad

ERG

Easy run?

Long run?

Tempo run?

Interval run?

Uphill?

Downhill? 

If you are racing , and it's less than 5k, you'd better be in some sort of hurt (or riding on the edge of it), or you aren't doing it right.

an amazing likeness

I haven't had a pain-free run since 11:50AM, Oct 29, 2009. But those posters aren't for runners...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

No matter what Nobby says, races are very uncomfortable and painful at the end... in a good way. I have very few training runs that are in the same category of discomfort.

xor

As is usually the case, people are meaning different things by the word "painful".

RWOL has brought us the term "pain cave".  I would like to send that one back.  Mahalo.

skygazer

Before I picked up running, one day I was talking about it with a very good friend of mine who's probably never been athletic in all her life. And her response was running/exercise=pain. I didn't quite understand why she thought that way. Now her kids are entering elementary school and she had them playing a few sports. I guess she has come to realize that running/sports is a lot of fun, even just running around. Just look at the kids you would know what I mean. Running outside is especially liberating.

Another thing I noticed is for a lot of over-weight people (my friend is one of them) who's been inactive most of their life just moving around is not comfortable (why they never want to become active), running would be unimaginably painful for them (they imagine it'd be pain considering how out of breath it's for them just "walking" up the stairs (so they never take the stairs)). Well, the people who created those ads, and their target costumers as well, most likely are among this group of people.

It hurts near the end of a race. But you have 100% control of it. You can choose to stop the discomfort if you want to. But you won't. (something more satisfying than giving up the hurt).

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm old enough that the first mile of pretty much every run is somewhat painful.  Especially since I run early in the morning most days. 

The nice thing about my early morning runs is that the courses start with a gentle downhill half mile.  I'm barely conscious, it's dark...maybe I'm somnambulating.

Roadrunner's Apprentice

Fatigue?  Oh yeah.  Exhaustion?  Check.  Side stitches?  Rare but I can work through it.  Sucking wind?  Yep, especially when I'm pushing myself hard.

But all that goes away after the workout.  Out and out pain?  My feeling is if it truly hurts I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

Runshortii

I think we are talking about muscular pain  or pain in the lungs here, as opposed to pain due to a specific injury. You should only feel pain in a race, and in a masochistic sort of way, it is good pain: you're hurting, you want it to stop, you fight with the urge to stop or ease up; we all love and hate this at the same time, I think, when you dig really deep (otherwise you are not racing, you are just running al ittle faster than normal)

This. When I see those posters I don't think of an injury type pain... I think of the burning in your legs or the muscle fatigue during a race. When I race a 5K it hurts, but in a "good" way. I don't think you can race a 5K or less full out and not have some sort of discomfort. Should a regular training run be painful though? No, I don't think so.

As is usually the case, people are meaning different things by the word "painful".

RWOL has brought us the term "pain cave".  I would like to send that one back.  Mahalo.

"Pain Cave" is a cyclists indoor training area.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

MrNamtor

I don't find training or racing to be painful in any way.

Someone said that if racing doesn't hurt you're not really racing. I'll have to think about this. I am not a very experienced racer.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Of course it's painful. If it weren't we wouldn't know to slow down or stop. People who don't perceive pain destroy themselves. Finding that threshold of tolorable or dangerous pain is what training is supposed to teach us. Racing reinforces it.

It's exhilarating to squeeze through that tunnel vision into the finish line knowing you left little behind. Your lungs and legs burning.

Just one man's unwavering opinion.....subject to change

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

skygazer

So (some) people do run painfully (and still enjoy it)!?