Endurance with Diet change to WFPB (Read 135 times)

Apple1

I recently transitioned to a WFPB diet after reading the book Proteinaholic. It has been about 2 weeks and I have noticed a decline in my running endurance. I was eating a high protein low carb diet for about 1 year prior to the change.

I am a new runner so I was working on increasing my distance every two weeks. I was at the point where I could run 3 miles fairly comfortably and now I am struggling to run 2-2,5 miles. Could it be diet related or just the weather? It has been very humid the last few times I have run. I tried to eat before my run, but it never sits well on my stomach. I do much better drinking half a protein shake before and the other half, after.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and did it get better over time. FYI my daily protein consumption went from 80g down to about 55g.

Before blaming your diet, you need to look at your total situation.

How often do you run?  If you want to improve, then five or six days per week are best for most people.

How fast do you run?  A new runner building mileage should do all running at an easy aerobic pace.  That means that you can carry on a conversation, speaking in full sentences, and do it without straining.

How many miles per week do you run?  Your body is capable of running a certain number of miles per week.  That number of miles changes as your fitness changes, it changes with your running speed, it changes with your state of health, it changes with life stresses, and it changes with your diet.

Are you getting enough sleep?  Is your body fighting a bug?

Running too far, too fast, too soon, without enough sleep, and with some added life stress will reduce anybody's performance.

Specialized diets are for people with specialized needs.  A new running building mileage is almost always best off with a normal balanced diet of real food.

Apple1

Before blaming your diet, you need to look at your total situation.

How often do you run?  If you want to improve, then five or six days per week are best for most people.

How fast do you run?  A new runner building mileage should do all running at an easy aerobic pace.  That means that you can carry on a conversation, speaking in full sentences, and do it without straining.

How many miles per week do you run?  Your body is capable of running a certain number of miles per week.  That number of miles changes as your fitness changes, it changes with your running speed, it changes with your state of health, it changes with life stresses, and it changes with your diet.

Are you getting enough sleep?  Is your body fighting a bug?

Running too far, too fast, too soon, without enough sleep, and with some added life stress will reduce anybody's performance.

Specialized diets are for people with specialized needs.  A new running building mileage is almost always best off with a normal balanced diet of real food.

You makes some very good points and it could be a combination of all of those things. I had just started to hit that distance and thought I would continue to be able to run 3 miles. I should know my progress won't always be linear. I do run 4-5 days a week and I am very consistent with that.

I am definitely eating a balanced diet. I am just not eating animal products. I don't think vegetarian or vegan diets are specialized diets just for people with specialized needs, but I do want to lower my cholesterol and keep type 2 diabetes in remission. I was just hoping there might be someone here that had switched diets and noticed a period of adjustment and could offer some personal tips.

Thank you for your advice.

Sounds like you have the important stuff under control.  One more point: If your present state of fitness allows you to run 2 miles 4 to 5 days per week, then you should be able to go out and run 3 or 4 miles once or twice per week.  If you try to run 3 or 4 miles several days in a row off a 2 mile per day base, do not be surprised if you crash and burn.  That could be what is happening to you.  It happened to me.

Christirei

Just looking at the nutrition issue, you might need more protein, if you have been used to 80 g of protein and then cut it by 40% it's going to make a difference, especially if you have switched to all plant based protein. Animal proteins are complete protein sources, meaning that animal proteins contain all of the essential amino acids that our bodies can't make for themselves. All plant proteins are incomplete proteins, so not one by itself contains all of the essential amino acids that you need. You have to be very purposeful in always eating plant based proteins in combination so that they do contain between all of them the essential amino acids. so just because you eat beans which contain protein, that doesn't translate to your body getting everything it needs, even if you are eating similar grams of protein. You need to do some research into the essential amino acids and best plant sources for them and then intentionally eat combinations that provide the complete list. Eating hummus with veggie chips and a side of quinoa salad made with some toasted nuts or something like that could be a good lunch....things like that...

Apple1

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

I am averaging 2-2.5 miles on my runs. I usually try to run longer on Sunday mornings and just haven't been able to make it to the 3 mile distance. I have not tried to do this with every run. I will just keep running and I am sure my distance will improve.

I am mixing my foods to insure that I am eating complete proteins.

an amazing likeness

Bluntly, but not without empathy and understanding for the question, you are not running enough miles that diet would have an impact. Unless you're near some sort of starvation, there are plenty of carbs onboard to support the miles you're running.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Apple1

Bluntly, but not without empathy and understanding for the question, you are not running enough miles that diet would have an impact. Unless you're near some sort of starvation, there are plenty of carbs onboard to support the miles you're running.

Thank you for this. I tend to overthink things and you are right.

I went back over my logs and discovered I had started running faster by quite a bit. I slowed down this morning and I easily ran 3.24 mi. I could have kept on running, but ran out of time.

running metalhead

All plant proteins are incomplete proteins, 

Wrong: http://www.jbc.org/content/177/1/29.full.pdf

Soy beans and many other beans and nuts are COMPLETE proteins.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

running metalhead

Just adding to what already has been said: 

You may be overtraining or accumulating too much fatigue. 

There is fortunately a free resource that can use CSV files generated by Runninghead: 

https://runalyze.com/de/login 

Runalyze works much like Trainingpeaks just with more analysis, it's just like this site made by a bunch of runners who also happen to be IT geeks and know their statistics.  You can import your logs in several formats, GPX, FIT, or CSV. 

All the graphs and options have explanations and links to more documentation. There is a frightening log of useful information.

There is one single indicator that is most useful: STRESS BALANCE. 

Well, I'm at the office so that I can't write too much... but just check it out and ask in the forums. IMHO Runningahead and Runalyze together are the best resource that a runner can have.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Apple1

Just adding to what already has been said: 

You may be overtraining or accumulating too much fatigue. 

There is fortunately a free resource that can use CSV files generated by Runninghead: 

https://runalyze.com/de/login 

Runalyze works much like Trainingpeaks just with more analysis, it's just like this site made by a bunch of runners who also happen to be IT geeks and know their statistics.  You can import your logs in several formats, GPX, FIT, or CSV. 

All the graphs and options have explanations and links to more documentation. There is a frightening log of useful information.

There is one single indicator that is most useful: STRESS BALANCE. 

Well, I'm at the office so that I can't write too much... but just check it out and ask in the forums. IMHO Runningahead and Runalyze together are the best resource that a runner can have.

Thank you . I will check it out. It sounds like it could be very useful. I have my running logs on this site, can I get them from here to there easily?

I definitely think I had simply increased my pace too fast. This week running at 14 -15 min/mile and I am running 3,2 mi with energy to spare.

Apple1

Wrong: http://www.jbc.org/content/177/1/29.full.pdf

Soy beans and many other beans and nuts are COMPLETE proteins.

This was my belief also, but I am getting used to people asking me how I get enough protein. I honestly feel great eating this way.

Thank you for all of your help everyone. This forum is great and no one makes a newbie feel dumb.

These guys are always very helpful...we're all an experiment of 1 and as such are all newbies...constantly learning. Please hang around and keep sharing your experiences.

I think people do not really know what amount "enough protein" really is. What we know is what we are told through marketing...from food pyramids through the diet fads. As endurance athlete's, we've all heard about iron deficiency and many experienced calorie deficiency while racing (a true bonk). But who has ever heard of someone with normal caloric intake falling to protein deficiency? Yet we spend so much effort (and $$$) to choke down absurd amounts of protein shakes, greek yogurt, and thank gawd for our daily ration of chicken breasts.

/end rant

Apple1

These guys are always very helpful...we're all an experiment of 1 and as such are all newbies...constantly learning. Please hang around and keep sharing your experiences.

I think people do not really know what amount "enough protein" really is. What we know is what we are told through marketing...from food pyramids through the diet fads. As endurance athlete's, we've all heard about iron deficiency and many experienced calorie deficiency while racing (a true bonk). But who has ever heard of someone with normal caloric intake falling to protein deficiency? Yet we spend so much effort (and $$$) to choke down absurd amounts of protein shakes, greek yogurt, and thank gawd for our daily ration of chicken breasts.

/end rant

Thank you and I agree. This is a great forum!

Reading Proteinaholic was a big wake up call for me. I had already cut red meat out of my diet and after reading this book I decided to go all the way. I feel really good.