Garmin Forerunner 305 in South America? (Read 26 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Hey all. Can't find my answer in searches, or on FAQs on the Garmin website ...

Does a Garmin Forerunner 305 work in Colombia and Chile?

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. I'll be traveling to Bogota, Colombia next week, and to central/southern Chile in March/April (first overseas travel in years - I'm freaking thrilled). During both of these trips I would like to run, and ideally track my workouts, etc..

Thanks, all.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

BillO

Yes, it will work anywhere in the world. It may take longer to get the initial satellite fix though. The GPS system is global. Took mine to Lima and Easter Island last year (305) and it worked fine.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Yes, it will work anywhere in the world. It may take longer to get the initial satellite fix though. The GPS system is global. Took mine to Lima and Easter Island last year (305) and it worked fine.

Thanks, Bill. I recall that satellite radio had location limitations (North America, only, at least when I was an XM subscriber) and I wasn't sure about the GPS system that Garmin uses. I really appreciate the info and sharing of your experience.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

kcam

Just a reminder ...  GPS is an acronym for Global Positioning System.  I've used my 205 all over the globe!

BillO

Thanks, Bill. I recall that satellite radio had location limitations (North America, only, at least when I was an XM subscriber) and I wasn't sure about the GPS system that Garmin uses. I really appreciate the info and sharing of your experience.

Yes, satellite radio uses different satellites (obviously) with different orbits.