AM running considerations (Read 1049 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

there's no good reason on Earth for his marathon to be that early.
    JK is clearly shortsighted. One good reason: the earlier it starts, the earlier you finish, and the sooner you can get to drinking.

Lazy idiot

I don't know if you have kids, but if you don't, your wife's schedule may be something you can work around and still get some reasonable evening runs in. Sunset in Hilliard, OH on the Summer Solstice is 9:05pm (latest sunset of the year -- worst case scenario). If your wife is working 'til 10p, you could go for a run at 9:00p on those nights or slightly earlier. You'd still have decent light until about 9:38p (end of Civil Twilight), and more importantly, even if it's hot, running without direct sunlight is much easier than with it. It might still be 90° and humid, but it's much more tolerable without the sun beating down on you. I suggest this as a fellow night person who used to train like a vampire (the nighttime part, not the bloodsucking). If the only time you and your wife have during the week is say from 10:00~11:30, it would kind of suck for you guys if you went to bed at 10 every night. Something to think about. Cheers, Jeff
      We don't have kids yet, so I have plenty of options. It varies by day, but I'd say four of seven days per week she's not home until at least 8. My eating clock has been running late for over 20 years (I grew up eating dinner at about 8, so the usual of 8:30 now is no big deal). The one nice thing about getting that run in early is that I won't have to take twenty showers per day to stay cool and non-sweaty. Running in the evening might be more bearable than mid-afternoon, but I can't avoid the fact that I'm a sweaty pig. I'm impressed that this thread has gotten so much attention. I must have hit on something that a lot of people are passionate about.

Tick tock

When I run in the morning (aka during the school year while I'm teaching) I get up about 4:30 walk the dog, feed her, grab a granola bar, put in the contacts and am usually out the door by about 5:00 am. Gives me a good hour and half for exercising before I need to start getting ready to head up to school, take care of anything else. In bed by 10/10:30ish and I'm good to go, any later and I'll start dragging around lunch time.

Prophet!

So, JK, I guess then that you no longer have any problem with a marathon starting at 7AM. You know, one that is 2.7 miles from your bed. Roll eyes
          i have one that starts at 5AM, only 1.5 mile away from my bed...
          Scout7

JK is clearly shortsighted. One good reason: the earlier it starts, the earlier you finish, and the sooner you can get to drinking.
            That's why I'm all about booze on the course....

Why is it sideways?

That's why I'm all about booze on the course....
              Gettin' to be about beer:30, Scout?
              Scout7

God, I wish....Unfortunately, I have class tonight (Human Computer Interface), and it's only the second meeting, so I can't skip just yet. I want to get into a somewhat decent group for the project.

Prophet!

(Human Computer Interface)
                  is this like plugging in to the Matrix ?

madness baby

God, I wish....Unfortunately, I have class tonight (Human Computer Interface), and it's only the second meeting, so I can't skip just yet. I want to get into a somewhat decent group for the project.
                    So you can drink then run, but you can't drink then sit in class? You'll make more friends that way.
                    deb

Burninated Peasant

My schedule is pretty much just like the rest of these - alarm goes off at 5am, get dressed, get contacts in, use the bathroom, go to the front door to get my shoes on, run back to the bathroom, go back to the front door and head out by 5:30. Typically I won't drink or eat anything until I get back from my run, unless I'm going to be out for more than an hour and a half, then I'll have about 4 oz of water first. At least until it gets hotter. In a month or two when it's 80+ at 5am, I'll have to take some time to get my camelback ready if I plan on going more than 10 miles.