Strength Training after Running (Read 87 times)

Jonesey

I'm training for my first 50k which is in December. At the moment I'm doing a 16 mile run on Saturdays and a 6 mile on Sundays. I've been using crossfit during the week. i want to get more miles in during the week. Does anybody see an issue with running around 6 miles then doing strength training?

kilkee

runktrun

No.  I work with Hypo2 to strength train and I lift 2 x week after my track workouts.  The logic is that I need my easy days to actually be easy for recovery, and lifting after a hard track session is OK because the running is primary and the lifting is secondary.  However, I don't lift super heavy (mainly bar with low weights, kettle bells, and body weight/plyos) and I have skipped some lifts when I've been totally spent after running.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

kilkee

runktrun

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Joann Y

No.  I work with Hypo2 to strength train and I lift 2 x week after my track workouts.  The logic is that I need my easy days to actually be easy for recovery, and lifting after a hard track session is OK because the running is primary and the lifting is secondary.  However, I don't lift super heavy (mainly bar with low weights, kettle bells, and body weight/plyos) and I have skipped some lifts when I've been totally spent after running.

How much time are you spending on the 2 days that you lift?

Does anybody see an issue with running around 6 miles then doing strength training?

Nope.

I lift / strength train twice a week

Mid-week it's an hour at the gym after I've run earlier in the day

Sunday is a grind

I will run, lift/run, then finish with a run.

For example, last Sunday I ran to the gym (4 miles) then lifted, but I would run on the TM between sets / reps (another 5 miles) then finished with a run (2 miles)

I've added miles before and after as I get deeper into a training cycle, maxing out in the high teens but not going over 20

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

PDoe

Depends on the intensity of the 6 miles. Easy- no problem, Agressive- be careful on the stregth training to not overuse.

paul2432

When you say "then doing strength training" do you mean crossfit or something else?  Are you doing one right after the other, or run in the morning crossfit at night?

Worst case of running 6 miles and then immediately doing a full blown crossfit workout could be a little much.  You could try it and see how you feel.  Or run a little less or do a partial crossfit workout until you build up to it.

If you trust your crossfit coaches you could ask them for advice too.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I don't think it is a good idea to run and then do heavy squats or dead lifts.

if you are lifting heavy and trying to increase your weight lifted running first will hurt

your lifting.

if cross fit is just another part of your over all conditioning then it doesn't  matter the order you do things

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Jonesey

When you say "then doing strength training" do you mean crossfit or something else?  Are you doing one right after the other, or run in the morning crossfit at night?

I was referring to going for a run around 6 miles or leass then about a hour later doing some 5/3/1 type training. Mainly focusing on lower body. My idea is to use crossfit twice a week, run 4 days a week, and rest one day. One long run on the saturday and the others around 6 miles.