Treadmill question - Belt not staying centered (Read 62 times)

It seems the family treadmill is having some problems since we moved.  The belt no longer stays centered.  I've followed the instructions on adjusting and tightening the belt and while it will stay centered at .5 MPH, as soon as there is any weight or speed added, it immediately begins shifting to one side.  I spent about 45 minutes last night continually making small tweaks and adjustments only to have the same thing happen each time.

A little about the treadmill...it is a Horizon (T500 I think), it's seven years old and so far all we've had to do is lube and tighten the belt.  We bought it at Dick's .

Has anyone else had this issue?  Were you able to fix it?  Right now I think my best solutions are a) bring in a technician or b) get a new one.

Thanks,

Matt

Feeling the growl again

Verify that the machine is level in its new location.  If it's relatively level, I can see no way that adjusting the tensioning screws on the back roller would not eventually center the belt.  Does it always go off in the same direction?  If so I don't know what to tell you, eventually you'd have the back roller so angled I can't imagine it could climb off in that direction.

There is the possibility you already have the roller so uneven that it can't function right to hold the belt centered.  Have you removed the plastic covers over the corners, covering the adjustment bolts, to visually verify that the roller is somewhat even side-to-side?  If it goes off one side then the other, perhaps you have the roller too uneven.

I would completely removed the adjustment bolts (the roller will come loose from the machine) then re-install while carefully counting rotations to make sure you have the roller exactly even.  Then try adjusting again.  I would make the adjustments while someone is walking on it so you can be behind to observe the belt and how it reacts.

Other than that, all I could think of is that the belt stretched unevenly, but I've never actually heard of that happening.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills