2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'll be rooting for you, Brew. If you run 3:04 without having broken 20 in a 5k yet, you officially have the weirdest PRs in this group. I think you can do it!

Important update about my butt: It has healed, at least for running purposes.

I'll GLADLY be the weird one. I'll put a fat * next to it and claim downhill and wind assistance. #LongHairDontCare. I'll even run CIM by feel if I get into 4/20/20.

Glad your butt healed. Maybe you won't sit on it so much now so you can run more.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Good luck in your Mt Charleston, mr. manager.

I went to the Lakeport track to do a workout, decided a nice progression would be nice.  Was way too nervous about the hockey game and started with an amped 6:30 first mile.  So at that point it became a tempo cause that’s about what I can hold.  And I didn’t even hold it, I slid back a bit on the next miles.  Still 3m in 19:40 ish isn’t terrible and I didn’t feel complexity dead after (unless you count the effects of the heat).  Was thinking of a 10k this weekend so I think I’ll take it easy and give that a go.  Benefits fire departments so that seems very appropriate.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

-10 days to the marathon!!!

I should probably start to worry about crazy stuff right? All I can think is whether I should try and push from the start to get a 3h20 or take it easy with the 3h20 pacers and see how I feel at mile 20. I have never ran a full marathon at full potential (always walked after mile 20 - see my PB...). This year I think I have a chance, and I do not want to ruin it by running for 20 miles at a very good pace and then walk again, but training seems to be at 3h20 as I feel very well at that pace and my long and mid week runs have been around 8:30 per mile with easy relaxed run.

I am sure I will think more about this, so enough for now...

today it was my last VOmax on the track as called by Pete... 3X1600mt. at 5k pace with 2 minutes jog + 4 miles (warm up - cool down). I am very happy with the outcome, especially considering that I was out the door at 5:15 am and on the track at 5:30/45...

The main aim was to run constantly with a good effort but with attention to running form.

I am very happy to say that I kept a very constant 90' per lap throughout the workout, hitting 6 minutes each 1600 mt. what made the day was how easily I recovered after each repetition. My heart beat monitor was around 170/172 during the 1600 but as soon as I stopped it was immediately down to 135. Also, in my last 1600 the heart beat monitor stayed below 160 (I wasn't in any pain or under any stress Smile

I have done what I could and came back from a couple of colds well, so I can be happy with the training.  Now it's time to run slow, take it easy and recover and enjoy watching London over the weekend Smile (good luck to this weekend runners by the way!)

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

darkwave

Mother of Cats

today it was my last VOmax on the track as called by Pete... 3X1600mt. at 5k pace with 2 minutes jog + 4 miles (warm up - cool down). I am very happy with the outcome, especially considering that I was out the door at 5:15 am and on the track at 5:30/45...

The main aim was to run constantly with a good effort but with attention to running form.

Nice workout - I'm thinking you can break 19 for 5K with that.

As for the marathon, conservative start is always better.

Brewing - what time does your race start?  I'm racing on Sunday, but will try to track you if I can.

SC - very good news on the butt!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - what time does your race start?  I'm racing on Sunday, but will try to track you if I can.

5:30 AM PST Saturday April 27, 2019. Tacking available here. Bib 1581 (corrected thanks to kee), but I'm sure you can search the internet and find my real name.  .  Six tracking points. I'll be curious to know what it tells you just to compare it to CIM. Looking at the details I have three followers. I feel so popular!

Race Weather:

Start is 47F with 43% humidity. Winds out of the West/West North West at 6 mph.

End (North Las Vegas) is about 75F and 30% humidity. Winds out of the South at 3 mph.

The weather looks about as good as it's going to get. The 15+ mph headwinds I was looking at a few days ago seem to have gone away. Maybe this is just like the Monday Marathon everyone was worried about would be rained out and people like Jmac pull a massive PR out. Guess it's my turn. My heels and feet hurt. Can I go back to training where the body parts didn't hurt for explainable reasons? Marathon tapering sucks.

keen have fun this weekend. Make a new friend. Oh and finish under your own strength.

SC Maybe I'll try and break 20 for the 5K after this race so my times reflect it. MAYBE I'll get a 4/20 entry, HM PR AND Marathon PR on Saturday.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Marco - That's a really nice VO2 workout. I wish I could get out of the door for a run that quickly. I've been lollygagging way too much lately and have been getting out late. I also agree with DWave regarding a conservative start. You can (almost) always speed up later if you start a little slow. If you start too fast you'll have no choice but to slow down later.

Brew - I'm one of your followers, since I'll going to/at DD2's soccer game while you're running. Oh, and I think you fat-fingered your bib number in your last post.

The marathon LR this weekend is looking a bit iffy right now. DD1 has been out of school all week with the flu, and naturally it looks like I'm (the only other person in the house) getting hit with it as well. I was only ever thinking of hobby jogging this so it won't be a huge loss if I don't do it - and if I don't I may try racing a 5k the following weekend instead. If all the local fast people are recovering from a marathon maybe I'll be closer to the pointy end of the race!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Speed Surplus

ocramireob "3X1600mt. at 5k pace with 2 minutes jog"

Doing that at 6:00/1600 is very strong! Agreed that you're close to 19-flat if not under on a favorable 5k course.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

you guys convinced me for the marathon. I will start at 3h30 and see how I feel. The next question is really when / where should I start thinking "I am feeling ok, I can speed up things a bit" - maybe around half way or more around 18-20 miles ?

On the 5K thanks for the encouragement, I was happy with the workout this morning, especially because I was not too tired at the end. I'll test myself over shorter distances during the summer Smile

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

darkwave

Mother of Cats

you guys convinced me for the marathon. I will start at 3h30 and see how I feel. The next question is really when / where should I start thinking "I am feeling ok, I can speed up things a bit" - maybe around half way or more around 18-20 miles ?

For you?  21.

For myself, I mentally split marathons into 16 miles steady and a 10 mile race.  But....I think (could be wrong) that I've run more marathons than you, and also have (at the risk of sounding obnoxious) gotten a few of them "right."  So I'm confident in my ability to make that decision a bit earlier than some.

If I recall correctly, you haven't done many marathons, and your short distance PRs don't match your marathon ones, and you're already shooting for a time WAY above your PR.  Wait until 21 or even 22 to get aggressive.  Because the bottom can fall out very quickly if you make an error, and in my experience, people who have a speed surplus are more likely to misjudge how much they have left in the tank.

Also, there's nothing wrong with finishing a marathon with a big PR AND a distinct feeling that you had a bit left in the tank.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Thanks darkwave! I agree with your evaluation of where I am in terms of marathon running and experience. Also 21 does sound a very good distance as I had problems at 20 before, so even mentally, if I can get there strong I will be prepared to get a bit aggressive.

I am going to follow your suggestion, thanks!

Smile

Upcoming races:  

???

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Good luck, Brew!  I'm going to be biking the White Rim and so no internet or time to track, but I'll be looking for your triumphant report.

Marco - good advice from DWave and the rest. A conservative start gives you the best chance to not be walking and miserable in the late miles.

Keen - I hope you avoid the illness!

As some of you may have noticed I recently moved and so all my running routes are somewhat different than they had been.  In particular it's even easier to do trail running as I don't have to start out with a ~300 ft climb.

Speed Surplus

Thanks darkwave! I agree with your evaluation of where I am in terms of marathon running and experience. Also 21 does sound a very good distance as I had problems at 20 before, so even mentally, if I can get there strong I will be prepared to get a bit aggressive.

Smile

Just be careful not to set mile 21 as too much of a "goal." I did that in my first marathon - thinking that once I climbed a big hill around mile 18-19 or so that the rest would be "easy." LOL

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Running Problem

Problem Child

Smile

3:30 pace Mile 21 time is 2:48:12. 30K time is 2:29:18 I think.

3:20 pace Mile 21 time is 20:40:11 30K time is 2:22:18 I think.

You'll need something like 7:38/mi pace (4:45/K) to cover the last 12K in about 57 minutes.

EDIT:  Oh and I looked back at training...I did 800m speed work at 6:15 pace with a 2 minute rest so doing a mile with the same rest is impressive.

Keen Thanks for the heads up. I also might have seen you signed up FIRST for live tracking results so I expect a phone call when I finish successfully. Maybe a text if you're watching the game just don't reply to the live tracking messages.  Old people some times have problems with technology and if your kids are sick or playing soccer you'll have to figure it out. Hopefully you don't get sick. Again, you could always fun run it. Take photos, encourage other runners through rough patches, remind them it won't get worse or if it feels good it can only get worse?

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

You'll need something like 7:38/mi pace (4:45/K) to cover the last 12K in about 57 minutes.

EDIT:  Oh and I looked back at training...I did 800m speed work at 6:15 pace with a 2 minute rest so doing a mile with the same rest is impressive.

FWIW, I could do 3x1600 in 6:00 with 2 minute rest, but I would consider it a hard workout.  And I broke 19 two weeks ago.  Of course, I'm also fairly strong, so I'm better at sustaining speed over distance than some others.

I have a LOT of tracking to do this Sunday, with 4 different marathons.

Jim E

Brew - Running a Revel thing on Saturday? Good luck! I guess starting above 7000ft rather enforces a conservative early pace.

Marco - What they said. It's better to err on the conservative side with early pacing. I seem to have a theme going here.

I'm running the last leg of the Big Sur relay on Sunday. Blame RLK for this, she got both of us in as late subs two years ago, and they've been asking me to do it again. Maybe pulling up my mixed masters team from 7th to 2nd place had  something to do it. I doubt if I'm in shape to repeat that, but we'll see.