Can I be annoying and complain about the heat? (Read 592 times)

Now that was a bath...

Every single day the temperature is rising and I have two weeks & two days until race day. The temperature is currently about 74F in the shade at 10am but could be anywhere up to 80/90F during the race. I am finding it really difficult running in the sun. Add to this the fact that we have no ozone layer left here in NZ and I got sun burnt today at 10am (and I am really dark skinned). I am getting worried about how I will cope running in the heat of the day. If the 12K takes me 1:30:00 then I will be running until 11:30am and if the sun is shining then it will be much hotter than the conditions I usually run in. Should I train more at the hotter times of the day to get my body used to exertion in heat? Will the water offered at the water stations (every two KM over a 12K course) be enough or should I plan on taking my own fluids? Other than suncream and light weight running clothes - any tips for how to cope with the heat of the day? Claire xxx Modified because I forgot to complain properly. I hate the heat!
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      Hi Claire, I too get quite affected by heat and have had very poor races when it's hot and/or humid. I think that everyone is affected but not to the same degree. I feel that I'm particularly affected because I usually train early in the morning where the temperatures are at the lowest. To beat the heat at race time, it is better to do some training in the heat. It doesn't need to be all your runs, start by doing one a week. Also, you can avoid the direct sun rays by training late in the afternoon. Another way to do it is to overdress on some training runs. I heard that some athletic teams have used such training acclimation strategies for the Athens Olympics. - R
        Oh, Claire, that sucks! (where do you live?) I agree that some runs in the heat will help you prepare for and cope with the race. As for carrying your own water -- how are you now? Do you need fluids more than every 2 miles in the heat? I personally cannot stand carrying fluids during a race, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Suscreen, light clothes (light in color and in weight!) are both good ideas. Seriously, go with the least amount of clothes you feel comfortable wearing (unless you are comfortable running naked... because I don't think that's allowed Wink). This may suck to hear, but prepare yourself for a less-than-what-you-expected time. I read this in Runner's World, I think -- make three time goals for a race: a really fast, everything goes perfectly and you run your butt off time, a realistic goal, and a goal that, while not a PR or very fast for you, will make you happy. I did that for MCM and it helped when I didn't break four hours (4:02... grrrrr!) Good luck Claire! Cool
        2009: BQ?
          Hi Claire, I ran a 10K about 2 months ago under those temperatures and with humidity. The race started at 8, and the first half hour was ok but after 8:30 when the course was in direct sunlight it was BRUTAL (temp about 80 by then but it felt like it was in the 90s). They had water stations at about that distance and it was ok for me, but I didn't really train that distance with water, so if you do you may want to carry some. As for the heat, if you feel it affecting you, slow the pace down a bit. Like trishierunner said, you may not hit your ideal goal pace, but at least you won't kill yourself getting to the finish line. I'll hope for a cloudy, cool day for you just in case. So glad that you are getting to run your race! Good luck!
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi Claire, I ran a 10K about 2 months ago under those temperatures and with humidity. The race started at 8, and the first half hour was ok but after 8:30 when the course was in direct sunlight it was BRUTAL (temp about 80 by then but it felt like it was in the 90s). They had water stations at about that distance and it was ok for me, but I didn't really train that distance with water, so if you do you may want to carry some. As for the heat, if you feel it affecting you, slow the pace down a bit. Like trishierunner said, you may not hit your ideal goal pace, but at least you won't kill yourself getting to the finish line. I'll hope for a cloudy, cool day for you just in case. So glad that you are getting to run your race! Good luck!
            Ditto. My first (and, thus far, only) 10k was during a morning like that. I think that race actually started at 9am and it was miserably hot. Add to that a very poorly organized race and I don't plan to ever do it again. They did the 5k an hour before the 10, when it should have been the other way around. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just think of all those 'crazy' people training for Badwater ultra. They train for the conditions of the race. I understand it takes about 2 weeks for your body to adapt to new conditions. I myself don't like running in the heat and would rather not have to adjust but sometimes, what can you do. Train for the heat and ift cools down you'll be ahead of the game. Good luck. Ewa
              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

Prophet!

i run in hot and humid everyday - being in hawaii and all, poor me Smile . I think it does help to train at expected race conditions. For my last marathon i mostly run at night and early in the morning when temperatures are at cool 75ish..my wife on the other hand did most of her run in late afternoon when temperatures are still 80+ ..during the marathon, being not part of those that finish while the sun is still down, i was running on temperatures 80+ for 3+ hours...it hurt me..didn't bother the wife, part of it was that she is a superstar Smile but i think having ran in hotter part of the day helped her lots..maybe a good plan would be to walk through all the aids to make sure you get enough water in you instead of on you. Good luck - no doubt that you'll do super on your race.