Skim Milk vs. Almond Milk (Read 336 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Ethical considerations aside, why do most health-conscious people seem to prefer almond milk to skim milk?

Emphasis on "seem to..." I haven't taken a poll or anything, just seems like when we get into discussions on these boards, almond milk is often mentioned on cereal and such.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

#artbydmcbride

Lactose intolerant?

Runners run

Bruno

My middle child had a milk allergy so we used almond milk.  He has since outgrown the allergy.

Docket_Rocket

I am not lactose intolerant but milk never sits well with me for some reason, so I use almond milk for everything.  I know there are certain conditions that make milk less tolerable, so it could be that too (rather than a straight lactose intolerance).

If there is none, then soy milk.  When I do drink milk (final choice) I use whole milk rather than skim.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

montag

Super Pro Lurker

I don't know if there is a health reason to go for almond/soy milk over regular (whole) milk. Personally I prefer the taste of cow milk. My sister is actually doing a PhD bovine nutrition and I'm helping her do a study on milk fat in a particular brand of milk now. If you buy the milks that let cows graze they tend to have better types of fat in them. Same thing with the fat content in cow meat from cows that graze more. So it's not just an ethical thing, but also a health thing when it comes to animal treatment. I recently found out though, that cattle that craze contribute like 350% more to greenhouse gases because cows that eat more grass burp up that much more methane. I am not kidding. NOTHING CAN EVER BE SIMPLE. Just chiming in here because I really hate those almond milk commercials I keep seeing on hulu. They're so snarky! Not that I have anything against almond milk.

A Saucy Wench

From a taste perspective, in coffee and cream soups and other dairy heavy recipes, (unsweetened) almond milk has a much richer, creamier taste, makes the stuff taste more like you are cooking with whole milk or cream.  I make a dairy free corn chowder that tastes really rich.

I do not care for almond milk on cereal, but I also despise skim milk.   However I only eat cereal maybe once a month.

I don't tend to drink either straight.  If I had to pick I would pick almond milk over skim, but probably 2% over almond milk.

I can't drink a lot of dairy without eventual issues.  I use almond milk 90%. 
               But if almond isnt available I'll use dairy, I can't stand soy or ricemilk.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

i couldn't start the day without my skimmed almond milk fix.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

bhearn

WTF is almond "milk", anyway? Sounds like a bizarre concept.

Yes, I'm asking instead of Googling. I'm not lazy -- Googling would be even less effort.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Best choice: whole milk - best for your weight

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23320900

Or if you want to be unreasonable hyperbolic about it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2356806/Could-SKIMMED-MILK-contributing-obesity-epidemic-Low-fat-dairy-encourage-weight-gain-say-experts.html

Personally, I can't drink "blue" milk.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

WTF is almond "milk", anyway? Sounds like a bizarre concept.

An almond can lactate just as easily as a coconut or a soybean. Or a muscle, I suppose.

Dave

'cause we're all nuts!

I'll be here all week, folks.  Enjoy the grass-fed, free-range, organic  beef, and be sure to tip the waitress.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

#artbydmcbride

I don't know if there is a health reason to go for almond/soy milk over regular (whole) milk. Personally I prefer the taste of cow milk. My sister is actually doing a PhD bovine nutrition and I'm helping her do a study on milk fat in a particular brand of milk now. If you buy the milks that let cows graze they tend to have better types of fat in them. Same thing with the fat content in cow meat from cows that graze more. So it's not just an ethical thing, but also a health thing when it comes to animal treatment. I recently found out though, that cattle that craze contribute like 350% more to greenhouse gases because cows that eat more grass burp fart up that much more methane. I am not kidding. NOTHING CAN EVER BE SIMPLE. Just chiming in here because I really hate those almond milk commercials I keep seeing on hulu. They're so snarky! Not that I have anything against almond milk.

Runners run

I drink unsweetened almond milk.    Not for the taste, only because I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to calories and macro-nutrients.  I found it to be an acquired taste, like coffee or whiskey.  Except, it doesn't put hair on your chest.  Rather, I find myself having strong urges to watch Sex and the City and get my nails painted.  

xhristopher

I've never tried it and was surprised to learn almond milk has so little protein.

This seems like as good of a time as any to mention Nobby's Nuts.

Go ahead and nibble Nobby's nuts. Put them in your mouth. They are packed with salty protein. Apparently you can now extract "milk" from them too.

joescott

Probably I'm not one of those "health-conscious people", but just for taste I love all my wonderful dairy stuff from real cows.  It's awesome, including my homemade kefir (from cow's milk) that I've started getting into the last month or two.

Now, I don't have anything against almonds.  I love almonds, stuff made from almonds, and I kinda like almond milk, too.  But almond products give me gas, and I mean serious gas.  One morning when my wife and I fail to wake up you will know the cause of death, displaced oxygen due to too much almond stuff the day before.  Maybe I have inverse-lactose-intolerance or something.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.