What keeps you running? (Read 2110 times)

This is awesome!   

I love this thread!

. to be alone, to meet new people, and to catchup with friends

. for prayer time, for crying time, for bitching time, for me-time

. because I can and others cannot

. to set goals and to either achieve them or to miss them and have to go out another day to achieve them

. health, strength, and confidence

. run til I puke or walk til I can run

. to not give a damn what others think when a 49 y.o. woman is running around in a sports bra

. to know that I can finish it

. for the feeling of casually saying, "I only did x miles" today and watching people's jaw's drop or for the feeling of knowing that I woke at 5 am (I truly love my sleep)  and completing my training mileage and absolutely no one knows about it (not even my husband who is out the gym at 5am)

. to set PR's or, after my personal worst, still following thru with training.

. WINE

. because I'm a better person and younger now than I was 16 months ago, 10 years ago, or even 20 years ago.

Michelle

goat

Finder of good newts

My wife kicks me out the house if I get too grumpy.    I come back not so grumpy.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up

What keeps you running? Is it weight loss, the inner competitor? A race coming up?

Also, music or no music while running? Why?

I keep running because I love it.

Sometimes I run with music, sometimes I don't.  Why?  Because I either feel like hearing music or I don't. Smile

sker

I started running to lose weight. I quickly discovered how good I feel after a training run (both physically and mentally), and find myself craving it. Yes, it's kind of like a drug. It's not always easy or fun; the good feeling is always there at the end regardless of how easy, fun, or difficult the running is that day.

No music, I run early in the morning and want to hear everything: the birds, cars, other people, dogs, the wind in the trees. Especially after having two different dogs charge me on consecutive days last year. I like to have an opportunity to hear them coming Wink

I look my best blurry!

This says it all!  I'm with you and Mississippi!  

I love this thread!

. to be alone, to meet new people, and to catchup with friends

. for prayer time, for crying time, for bitching time, for me-time

. because I can and others cannot

. to set goals and to either achieve them or to miss them and have to go out another day to achieve them

. health, strength, and confidence

. run til I puke or walk til I can run

. to not give a damn what others think when a 49 y.o. woman is running around in a sports bra

. to know that I can finish it

. for the feeling of casually saying, "I only did x miles" today and watching people's jaw's drop or for the feeling of knowing that I woke at 5 am (I truly love my sleep)  and completing my training mileage and absolutely no one knows about it (not even my husband who is out the gym at 5am)

. to set PR's or, after my personal worst, still following thru with training.

. WINE

. because I'm a better person and younger now than I was 16 months ago, 10 years ago, or even 20 years ago.

My daughter challenged me to run in a 1/2 marathon during a family weight loss challenge, so I started training.  I lost 30 lbs, ran a 1/2 Mary, liked the feeling and ran another (neither time would impress anyone but me).  Having a goal such as an upcoming race helps push me out the door at 5:00 am.  But the feeling of accomplishment I have when I am done can't be replaced.  And the time to think things over, or simply forget everything and listen to the sounds of my feet (which are not quiet) has become a welcome addition to my life. No matter what the job, family or other pressures bring, the run always brings release and escape.

I always bring my music, but I only listen to it about half the time.

I keep running hoping it will get easier.  I'm still waiting!

2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

slow down... it might get you to "easier" faster... LOL

I started running for my health (see blessed heart attack story described previously) and stupidly fell in love with it. So now its a combination of love and health, and I guess loving being alive! Blush

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Pretty much what They said.  They said a lot.

Slice

Recently when I've wanted to slack off I realized that there will come a time when I am physically unable to run. When that time comes I will be mad as hell for every one of those times I could have and chose not to run. That has made me lace up in some nasty weather, days I have zero energy, and days when I only have 30 minutes to spare.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Recently when I've wanted to slack off I realized that there will come a time when I am physically unable to run. When that time comes I will be mad as hell for every one of those times I could have and chose not to run. That has made me lace up in some nasty weather, days I have zero energy, and days when I only have 30 minutes to spare.

How's the knee?

I hear you.

There's three basic reasons for me. Most of my runs are out and back or a loop from home, so ....

1. For the last half of most runs what keeps me going is that I have to to get back home.

2 .For the first half its because I think I'll look stupid standing still or walking when I'm dressed up in my running gear wearing a Garmin.

<implied 3.>The real mystery for me is what gets me to START every run & and do it almost every day. Who knows?

MTA: <implied 3.>

Running - cheaper than therapy

tomatolover

I feel the same way...10 years ago i was diagnosed with MS...Freaked my shit out (and then some) and taught me to NEVER take for granted what your body can do...Along with injecting my ass with an uber pricey medicine everynight, I count my blessing on each and every run.  Both my physical AND mental state are so much healthier since i started running and, for my sanity, I honestly fear the day that i am unable to run.

tomatolover