Indianapolis Monumental Marathon (Read 89 times)

doctorjen

Does anybody know if Monumental tends to fill, or will registration remain open until close to the race?

Anybody run it and have any comments?

I'm pretty sure it's open up until or near the race. My plan is to reserve a hotel and then not sign up for the race until the last minute in case I need it for a BQ.

I've run it twice (2010 and 2012), and I've PRd both times. Mostly flat. Temps are pretty good that time of year for what I like to run in.

Downtown Indy is a nice place to visit for a day or two. We've got little ones, so we went to the Children's Museum the day before the race.

It's not a completely closed course, in that you're running in coned off sections against traffic in parts. That makes it a little uncomfortable at times, but it's not too bad. They have pace groups, too, which is nice. Seems like a growing marathon.

Feeling the growl again

It's a fast course.  I have not run it so I don't know about it filling.  The only wildcard is that wind velocity and direction can have an impact on this course.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ball of Fury

IMM did sell out last year, but I think it was due to cancellation of NYC.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

BruceD555

I ran it last year and am signed up to run it again this year as well. As others have mentioned, the course is flat and fast. You start off downtown and be prepared to just go by time and not pace over the first few miles because the tall buildings and tunnels mess with your GPS signal. Based on the starting time it's actually still dark when the gun goes off but the sun rises shortly after you get going. Crowd support was pretty good during parts but I heard the spectators were fewer than in previous years because of the weather. The only real rise is over by the Butler Campus but I think that comes around mile 15 or 16 and it really is no big deal.

Last year the temperatures were great - starting was around 42 and it kept right around that for the whole race. However, it also started sleeting when I was around mile 23 and that eventually turned to a cold rain (though that was after I had finished, thankfully). The post-race area had a Steak-n-Shake tent that served chili but I didn't feel like eating anything that soon afterwards.

As Cosmo said, Indy has a whole lot of things to do - especially if you have children.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Ball of Fury

I ran it last year and am signed up to run it again this year as well. As others have mentioned, the course is flat and fast. You start off downtown and be prepared to just go by time and not pace over the first few miles because the tall buildings and tunnels mess with your GPS signal. Based on the starting time it's actually still dark when the gun goes off but the sun rises shortly after you get going. Crowd support was pretty good during parts but I heard the spectators were fewer than in previous years because of the weather. The only real rise is over by the Butler Campus but I think that comes around mile 15 or 16 and it really is no big deal.

Last year the temperatures were great - starting was around 42 and it kept right around that for the whole race. However, it also started sleeting when I was around mile 23 and that eventually turned to a cold rain (though that was after I had finished, thankfully). The post-race area had a Steak-n-Shake tent that served chili but I didn't feel like eating anything that soon afterwards.

As Cosmo said, Indy has a whole lot of things to do - especially if you have children.

We are signed up for the marathon as well...maybe I can see Taper Bruce in action!!

BruceD555

I might be tapered out by this time ...  this one is only 4 weeks after my fall goal race so my IMM plan is to do it as a "fun" run this year.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Ball of Fury

I might be tapered out by this time ...  this one is only 4 weeks after my fall goal race so my IMM plan is to do it as a "fun" run this year.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!  Now I will have to be the crazy one.

Bottom line is that it's a decent size race, and a nice race, w/out the hassle of a large race. Last year I waited until the last minute to get in line and I walked in from the front .   It's nice that the full and 1/2 are sharing the same course for about the first 7 miles, and then the "fullers" meet up with the "halfers" during the last 2 miles...

Until I run a faster race somewhere else, it will be one of my favorite marathons.

doctorjen

Cool.  I'm thinking about it for a BQ attempt, if training is looking good.  I'd like to wait until September to sign up.  I like those mid-size races - I've run Chicago, which was a lot of fun but of course really crowded.  I recently ran a half with 125 total participants, though, and I was completely alone running through farmland for 5 miles, so I'd like a little more company than that!

C-R

It's a fast course.  I have not run it so I don't know about it filling.  The only wildcard is that wind velocity and direction can have an impact on this course.

Ding.

Course it set to be fast as long as the winds come from the usual location (N-NW). First year I ran it they came in the from the S-SW and it was an epic suckfest for the last 6-7 miles. That considered it is a good course and Indy is a great town (but I'm a homer - Go Colts!)

I don't recall the marathon being full but I think the half has sold out.

Its a good one.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

I did the half the first 3, maybe 4 years of the race. The year with the northerly wind coming up Meridian was strange. I believe the race has closed before, but I also know that at least once I registered for the half on the day prior. I doubt it'll close with all the marathons around here in the fall.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I did the half the first 3, maybe 4 years of the race. The year with the northerly wind coming up Meridian was strange. I believe the race has closed before, but I also know that at least once I registered for the half on the day prior. I doubt it'll close with all the marathons around here in the fall.

Last year the full did fill mainly due to NYC. I had a buddy that ran the full (who was suppose to run YNC), but was registered for the half.  Later, I think they moved his time/result to the full, which was nice of them.

doctorjen

I'm back with more questions!

I'm still on the fence.  My marathon training has gone well, but my recent half which I was hoping would tell me my current fitness was a disaster. (It was super hot and humid, so I'm just basically discounting it.)

Does anyone know about city logistics on race day?  Are there road closures which would make it tricky to quickly get to the airport from the race?  Is there parking reasonably close to the start/finish?

I'm trying to limit my out of pocket - I have enough frequent flyer miles for my plane ticket, but I was hoping to only have 1 night in a hotel.  The only flight out on Southwest after the race is 2:30 pm.  That obviously would give me limited time to rush back to the airport after the race, since it's an 8 am start.

Feeling the growl again

I'm back with more questions!

I'm still on the fence.  My marathon training has gone well, but my recent half which I was hoping would tell me my current fitness was a disaster. (It was super hot and humid, so I'm just basically discounting it.)

Does anyone know about city logistics on race day?  Are there road closures which would make it tricky to quickly get to the airport from the race?  Is there parking reasonably close to the start/finish?

I'm trying to limit my out of pocket - I have enough frequent flyer miles for my plane ticket, but I was hoping to only have 1 night in a hotel.  The only flight out on Southwest after the race is 2:30 pm.  That obviously would give me limited time to rush back to the airport after the race, since it's an 8 am start.

There are multiple parking structures/lots south of the start area within walking distance (LINK).  Come up from the south on I-70, for races starting in that area I've used the Pan Am garage on Capitol several times.

The race runs north, so stay somewhere south off of I-70 and drive up from there.  You will have a quick shot back to the airport via 70 and the course does not interfere with that as it runs north.

MTA:  Barring traffic from the race slowing you getting back to the freeway, the trip from downtown to the airport is like 10 minutes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills