Max Heart Rate (Read 700 times)

I agree with the concept of using LT rather than max HR. As a new runner 7 yr ago, I was being told to not do speed work but run to max HR. Huh? Eventually I figured out that most training is below LT (which does move) - about when breathing gets comfortably hard or a little beyond. Divided that by 0.9 to estimate max hr so I had a number for the training zone formulas I could find. yes, that makes assumption that LT is near 90% max hr, but for me, that was less of a leap than using the 220-age (my max hr is about 20bpm higher than that forumula, the 220-age does a decent job of estimating my LT HR). There's many age-based formulas, and some do take sex and activity levels into account to make them a little more meaningful. Problem is that you don't know which of the random number generators, ooops, I mean age-based formulas, are the most appropriate until you do some kind of test or know it already. Scout's description looks like the one from Joe Friel's book (Total Heart Rate Training), which I just got recently. I really like his approach throughout the book. I don't necessarily agree with some of his terminology, but the basic concepts in terms of race goals (< 3 hr, 3-8 hr races, like for tri's and ultras) and modes (run, bike, swim, etc) have made a lot of sense to me and kinda clarified why some authors (aimed at marathons and shorter on roads) didn't make sense to me. friel also has some other tests in his book for newer runners who may not be able to sustain lt effort for 30 min. while i do wear a hrm for most of my runs (and i'll take a gps on some), it's mostly for data collections and spot checking along the way. i run mostly by effort, but like to play with numbers, graphs, and maps later.;) 3="" hr,="" 3-8="" hr="" races,="" like="" for="" tri's="" and="" ultras)="" and="" modes="" (run,="" bike,="" swim,="" etc)="" have="" made="" a="" lot="" of="" sense="" to="" me="" and="" kinda="" clarified="" why="" some="" authors="" (aimed="" at="" marathons="" and="" shorter="" on="" roads)="" didn't="" make="" sense="" to="" me.="" friel="" also="" has="" some="" other="" tests="" in="" his="" book="" for="" newer="" runners="" who="" may="" not="" be="" able="" to="" sustain="" lt="" effort="" for="" 30="" min.="" while="" i="" do="" wear="" a="" hrm="" for="" most="" of="" my="" runs="" (and="" i'll="" take="" a="" gps="" on="" some),="" it's="" mostly="" for="" data="" collections="" and="" spot="" checking="" along="" the="" way.="" i="" run="" mostly="" by="" effort,="" but="" like="" to="" play="" with="" numbers,="" graphs,="" and="" maps=""></ 3 hr, 3-8 hr races, like for tri's and ultras) and modes (run, bike, swim, etc) have made a lot of sense to me and kinda clarified why some authors (aimed at marathons and shorter on roads) didn't make sense to me. friel also has some other tests in his book for newer runners who may not be able to sustain lt effort for 30 min. while i do wear a hrm for most of my runs (and i'll take a gps on some), it's mostly for data collections and spot checking along the way. i run mostly by effort, but like to play with numbers, graphs, and maps later.;)>
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
    Purdey

Self anointed title

Sheesh guys... just run!