Yoga for Core Strength? (Read 2113 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have some core-specific workouts that I like (primarily Cathe Friedrich stuff), but after a while of doing the same 3-4 workouts over and over and over I get bored, then find myself making excuses not to do them.  Crunches and planks get boring, even if they incorporate balance balls, medicine balls, and free weights for variety.

I know a lot of folks do yoga and I'm a fan of DVD workouts (especially as the weather starts to turn to crap in a couple of months).  Does anyone have specific videos to recommend?  I'm eyeballing this one...the reviews look good and it looks like it has a good variety and ability to pre-mix segments.  Any other suggestions?  

I definitely want to work on my overall flexibility and core strength, especially as we're entering cyclocross season.  Repeatedly lifting my bike to run up steps, hills, and over obstacles is using a whole new set of muscles and my lower back is a bit achey and weak feeling after yesterday's race (particularly because I am short and I have to lift my bike that much higher relative to my waist, because of my stupid squatty legs).  I'm suspecting that yoga or something similar would be just the thing to give me strength on and off the bike during these events (which use an entirely different muscle set than running and road riding...probably pretty similar to mountain-biking requirements).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...I like the idea of doing upper body 1 day/week and lower another day.  Definitely up for consideration.

~ Sarah Kay

jdais

I have done the p90x yoga and that was good, but doing the same video over and over gets old fast.  I'm also considering this video: Athlete's Guide to Yoga.  Reviews on Amazon look good for customization. 

"The Main Menu of the DVD lists the following options: Preset Sequences-Customized Routine-Play All. Selecting the Preset Sequences leads to the following submenu options: Strength (Base), 57:05; Flexibility (Build), 48:26; and Focus (Peak), 47:05. There are also three problem area premixes (Building Core Strength, Stretching the Shoulders, Opening the Hips, Encouraging Recovery), as well as the Customized Routine option mentioned above."

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

Oh roo roooo!

If you belong to Netflix, try ordering some of the yoga DVDS you think you're interested in and take a look before you go out and plunk down your hard-earned $$.

Another idea is to try your local library.  The county I live in has a GREAT program where the entire catalog of every library in the county, including DVDs, music, etc., is available online.  You can request any item in the catalog to be sent, free of charge, to the library of your choice for pickup.  Usually takes a few days.  I don't know if you have anything like that available to you, but it's a wonderful resource, and there is an amazingly large variety of high-quality modern yoga DVDs, not just a few 1960s-era leftovers or PBS-type shows.  This would be another way to determine if a particular DVD is one you want to purchase.

if you are looking very specifically for yoga focusing on core strength, you might look for things by Rodney Yee--I believe he has a couple specifically oriented this way, and I find his style quite agreeable. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you belong to Netflix, try ordering some of the yoga DVDS you think you're interested in and take a look before you go out and plunk down your hard-earned $$.

Another idea is to try your local library.  The county I live in has a GREAT program where the entire catalog of every library in the county, including DVDs, music, etc., is available online.  You can request any item in the catalog to be sent, free of charge, to the library of your choice for pickup.  Usually takes a few days.  I don't know if you have anything like that available to you, but it's a wonderful resource, and there is an amazingly large variety of high-quality modern yoga DVDs, not just a few 1960s-era leftovers or PBS-type shows.  This would be another way to determine if a particular DVD is one you want to purchase.

if you are looking very specifically for yoga focusing on core strength, you might look for things by Rodney Yee--I believe he has a couple specifically oriented this way, and I find his style quite agreeable. 

We've never bothered with Netflix...I very nearly set up an account, then they raised their rates.

I didn't even think of the library--that's a good suggestion.  I've done inter-library loan for audiobooks.  I should see what our system has for DVDs.  Our actual branch is tiny and tends to have a very limited selection, but the entire system is pretty big.  Great idea!

I've also heard very positive things about Rodney Yee, over the years.  I'll definitely have to see if I can find some of his videos, specifically.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Darn, just looked online to see what I might be able to get through the library and there is very little in the entire system.  Just a few really novice-level DVDs and some specialized ones for pregnancy and people with fibromyalgia.  That's pretty much it.

~ Sarah Kay

I've been meaning to try some downloads from Yoga Download. It's mainly podcasts with a pdf guide to the poses, but there are a few videos. The site looks like a yoga smorgasbord.

wickedlady

I go to corepower yoga here in Denver and it's great.  They also have on-demand yoga classes through their site, corepoweryoga.com might be worth checking out Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cool...I didn't even think about the online options, though I don't have a laptop and there isn't room where my computer is to do anything without burning to DVD, first.

~ Sarah Kay

running yogi

Cool...I didn't even think about the online options, though I don't have a laptop and there isn't room where my computer is to do anything without burning to DVD, first.

I regularly practice with www.yogatoday.com for the last 4/5 years. They have three teachers with three different styles. They have both a paid and unpaid subscriptions.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I regularly practice with www.yogatoday.com for the last 4/5 years. They have three teachers with three different styles. They have both a paid and unpaid subscriptions.

Oh, that's neat...individual workouts appear to be $4/download.  I'm definitely going to check these out--looks like there are some running and cycling-specific workouts, too.

~ Sarah Kay

running yogi

Oh, that's neat...individual workouts appear to be $4/download.  I'm definitely going to check these out--looks like there are some running and cycling-specific workouts, too.

yes, and they have a 'Light Practice' category in the Community>Blog section. They are very help too.

wickedlady

yes! Yogatoday is AWESOME. Practiced almost exclusively for a few years with these classes.

Turtle

I know it is cheesy, but have you tried searching Youtube? I have found a couple excersizes that I like, just to change things up. Good luck!

Spectrum Health Irish Jig 5K - March 15, 2014

Gazelle Girl Half Marathon - April 13, 2014

Grand Rapids Half Marathon October 19, 2014

“Why are you going to choose failure when success is an option?” 
                                ― Jillian Michaels

“Unless You Puke, Faint or Die, Keep Going!” 
                                ― Jillian Michaels