Can't get away from cigarette smoke (Read 257 times)

JustLikeJF

Everywhere I go it seems that peoples cigarette smoke is invading my world. We live in a condo, a nice one but the neighbors smoke pours in our windows. Several neighbors smoke so it's bad. I've had to buy serious window fans and remove my screens to get it to go away. This just makes me want to lash out verbally when I'm in public and someones smoke if drifting into my face but I don't I just walk away.

I was at the dog park today and two people were smoking at the beach and it was terrible. It seemed every where I stood the wind would shift and the smoke would follow, I finally stomped off in disgust.

The funny part is that in the end I feel bad for getting angry at people because I'm breathing their smoke and if you discuss it with any of them they have no problem making me (and you) feel worse for imposing on their freedom, that's going to change though soon, I'm getting fed up.

I used to take my wife dancing years ago. After a while I noticed that both of our clothes had cigarette burns in the mid to upper thigh area and figured out it was from walking through crowds of people some of whom were holding cigarettes at their side in their fingers so I started to look for it and wound up bitching at people for almost burning my clothes. It works, most people apologized and some people left altogether (bye!). that's going to be my new stance soon, zero tolerance. I'm seriously sick of cigarette smoke.

Feeling the growl again

My wife's guitar teacher and sometimes his band play at a local bar; it's a wonderful date night to go watch.  Except the entire place is smokey, including a couple regulars who do cigars.  Clothes go straight into the washer.  We would go out more often if not for the smoke.

Actually we pretty much gave up on bars before we got married, for the same reason.

I've worked in oncology for more than a decade.  I want nothing to do with smoke.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JustLikeJF

Me either and in fact just sent an email to the dog park facility asking them to install no smoking signs. Amazingly I again feel bad for that action but that's going to change very soon.

We used to love going out dancing and did it for about 7 years every Friday night religiously. Before the state banned smoking in all public places the law was that they still had to have smoke filters installed. I still had to step out several times a night and breath fresh air. Most clubs had them but never turned them on anyway.

Going out dancing was instrumental in making us as close as we are today. Smile I love my wife.

I despise cigarette smoke. My parents smoked and I swear I grew up with my face either in my shirt or sticking out of a window. Car rides were unbearable. My complaints in the car as a kid were "are we there yet?" and "put it out, I can't breathe". I think those electronic cigarette things are catching on a little bit and smoking is in decline in general because people are becoming more health conscious. Maybe one day we won't have to deal with the stink anymore.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

I despise cigarette smoke. My parents smoked and I swear I grew up with my face either in my shirt or sticking out of a window. Car rides were unbearable. My complaints in the car as a kid were "are we there yet?" and "put it out, I can't breathe". I think those electronic cigarette things are catching on a little bit and smoking is in decline in general because people are becoming more health conscious. Maybe one day we won't have to deal with the stink anymore.

Honestly, I'm not certain that the electronic cigarettes are any better. Personally, I've done no research, but I have noticed that a number of businesses around here consider the e-cigs as part of our state's smoking ban. Although they don't expell smoke, they do send out nicatene laden vapors.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I am so thankful I live in a smoke-free state, and can enter restaurants and bars without sacrificing my comfort and risking my health.  I suggest you campaign for a comprehensive ban in your state.  BTW, the bars didn't go out of business as they were predicting during the campaign.

I realize this wouldn't help you with the condo situation.  Sorry about that.

I am so thankful I live in a smoke-free state, and can enter restaurants and bars without sacrificing my comfort and risking my health.  I suggest you campaign for a comprehensive ban in your state.  BTW, the bars didn't go out of business as they were predicting during the campaign.

It's certainly the norm now. I know for a fact that CA, NY and WA all require smoke-free venues, and while there's a loophole in Georgia's law, in practice I can't think of a single bar or restaurant here in Athens that allows smoking.

Unless something has changed recently, the big two where smoking in bars is still legal are Vegas and New Orleans.

In any case, the "we'll go out of business" thing was always a load of crap. I'm guessing exactly zero bars have ever gone out of business because of no-smoking laws.

MTA: No sure Lemmy would approve, but now he's got heart problems, so there's that.

JustLikeJF

Thanks for the sympathy. I live in a smoke free state as well. Got a reply from the dog park people today that said outdoors............not covered by the ban. Amazingly I used to smoke many years ago. Do I deserve one of those annoying little smacks in the back of the head for complaining now ? Yeah probably, never the less cigarette smoke still sucks. I guess I'm less tolerant now because I'm already working with a handicap................................I used to smoke.........................in my eye's breathing the second hand smoke is just going to continue the damage, it's more of a fear.

I did some online research, 6 states now ban smoking in all condo buildings, anywhere, even in units. Can't wait for that day.

Thanks for the sympathy. I live in a smoke free state as well. Got a reply from the dog park people today that said outdoors............not covered by the ban. Amazingly I used to smoke many years ago. Do I deserve one of those annoying little smacks in the back of the head for complaining now ? Yeah probably, never the less cigarette smoke still sucks. I guess I'm less tolerant now because I'm already working with a handicap................................I used to smoke.........................in my eye's breathing the second hand smoke is just going to continue the damage, it's more of a fear.

I did some online research, 6 states now ban smoking in all condo buildings, anywhere, even in units. Can't wait for that day.

Just saw your bio! Congratulations on quitting and staying quit after being a 3-pack a day smoker. That couldn't have been easy.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ditto!  All these business owners have found that people like ME are FAR more likely to go sit in their bar or restaurant when I don't have to inhale poison or reek of smoke for the rest of the day.  It used to be that if I went to a bar with friends that I had to shower before bed to not have that smell in my hair keep me awake and stink up my pillow.  And we non-smokers are not spending so much $$ on smokes that we have more cash to spend on eating out more often, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JustLikeJF

Just saw your bio! Congratulations on quitting and staying quit after being a 3-pack a day smoker. That couldn't have been easy.

Thanks, it was one of the two hardest things I've done in my life to date. It took three days of laying in a pile of blankets and pillows in front of the TV not eating the entire 3 days (everything's a trigger) , sucking on lemons the whole time. Never looked back.

Great avatar....................Lemmy Big grin

MoBramExam

The individual who owns the business should be allowed to operate smoking or smoke-free.

The customer should be allowed to choose if they want to patronize the business or not.

Everyone should be happy.

superspike113

Honorary Old

I live in WA where we are smoke free in all bars/restaurants and within 25 feet of the entrance of any public building. I enjoy it. However, I did not vote for it because I believe it should be up to the proprietor to decide.  I think its strange that anyone smokes these days knowing how bad it is for you.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

I live in WA where we are smoke free in all bars/restaurants and within 25 feet of the entrance of any public building. I enjoy it. However, I did not vote for it because I believe it should be up to the proprietor to decide.  I think its strange that anyone smokes these days knowing how bad it is for you.

IIRC the California law allowed establishments where the owner(s) are also the only employees to permit smoking. That may have changed, but I recall at least one bar in SF that allowed smoking for exactly this reason.

On the whole, given the size of the hospitality industry, the number of people employed there and the health risks associated with secondhand smoke, I think banning smoking as a matter of employee health and safety is a reasonable thing to do. Being able to patronize smoke-free venues is a huge benefit IMO, but it's not the most important reason.

JustLikeJF

I think its strange that anyone smokes these days knowing how bad it is for you.

I always think that to myself, never wanted to say it out loud.

I'm on the fence about the establishments choice thing though. Left up to them and nothing would have ever changed and then our choices would only be smoking establishments, just my theory.

In our state it started out no smoking within 200 feet of the building but they amended it to 15 feet . When I walk into the grocery store I get a face full of smoke from all the employees on break, it's really annoying.