Marijuana and running (Read 1744 times)

Feeling the growl again

My spam folder is filled with claims like these!

POT

(Post Of the Thread)

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I am genuine in my Interest to hear other peoples experiences. I don't want this to turn in to an opinion fight but instead I want real experiential responses and objective rational opinion.

In In 1981 I ran a 4:59 mile. 1982 I ran a 4:52 mile. 1983 I ran a 4:38 mile. In 1984, after starting smoke marijuana, I couldn't break 5:00. In 1985, I didn't bother running track or XC....I took the easiest intramural sports I could find and frequently skipped them to get high.

So my objective, rational opinion is that it didn't help my running at all.

And marijuana use seems to have affected your ability to use paragraphs.

xor

In fairness, lack of paragraphs + smashy font seems to be an iphone thing.

rope a dope.

Feeling the growl again

In fairness, lack of paragraphs + smashy font seems to be an iphone thing.

rope a dope.

My ipad does that on here.

Of course, if I'm posting from my ipad I am usually buzzed...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

I am genuine in my Interest to hear other peoples experiences. 

If memory serves correct (and I'm going way back), almost everything is more fun when you're high (except physics class and working a lunch rush on grill at McDonalds). I'm a believer in Don Juan's belief that there is a spirit in these smokable/eatables of the earth, and these spirits will give you gifts, and keep giving, if these smokable/eatables don't become a crutch. It's at that point that the spirit leaves with middle ethereal finger extended.

In the end, it's harder to run with crutches anyway. 

It will work for you, until it doesn't anymore.

That's my elderly experience.Cool

If memory serves correct (and I'm going way back), almost everything is more fun when you're high (except physics class and working a lunch rush on grill at McDonalds).

exactly, it's only cool when you're a teenager, anything beyond that is just tragic. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I am usually buzzed...

We were wondering.

mgc0001

exactly, it's only cool when you're a teenager, anything beyond that is just tragic. 

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Didn't we already do this thread?

YES!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

jjameson

I've never run while I was stoned or drunk.  However I am very tempted to try a pot brownie during a long (say over 30 miles) run.  Something about running through the woods with a headlight, slightly stoned, and listening to some music appeals to me.  I have this idea that the hours and miles would pass by quite pleasantly. 

Ostrich runner

I've never run while I was stoned or drunk.  However I am very tempted to try a pot brownie during a long (say over 30 miles) run.  Something about running through the woods with a headlight, slightly stoned, and listening to some music appeals to me.  I have this idea that the hours and miles would pass by quite pleasantly. 

I'm not much for running in those circumstances, but back in the day I did some similar backpacking. If you ever get the chance, I recommend it. An overnight solo hike in the wilderness can get you tweaky anyway, but that can really push the whole thing over the top. Experimental use - if it really is experimental - can lend some fantastic experiences. Habitual use, not so much.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Hoban-Jay

Never ran/trained stoned but hungover...yes...

Twenty some years ago...in my mid-twenties.  Back then I was training for a marathon with three buddies of mine...non-drinking baptists.  I would go out friday nights with other friends and well....have fun.  But Saturday mornings, at 6:00 in the morning or so, I'd HAVE to meet up with my running team and do our workout.... either a tempo run or a loooooonnnnnnggggg run...no excuses.  It was not fun at all, let me tell you that!  Unfortunately, I remember puking along the side of the trail on more than a few occasions and wishing one of them would have the decency to put me out of my misery.

I may ave to try running stoned though...that just might be cool...and maybe take some of the pain out of the knees and feet at the end of a long run.  Or maybe do so AFTER running for the same reasons....we'll see!

kervit

Thanks for all of the feedback!

I havent been able to get on for a while b/c I dropped my phone in the lake... and i didnt have a computer, but i do appreciate the help. ill try and cover all of the responses i missed.

*Ive been talking to a few people and about learning how to structure a good program for myself. I will definitely listen to your advice and  slow the tempo down a bit. I think i kept running faster and faster because i didnt feel like i was running hard enough. ive always had coaches that operated under the "if you arent  about to puke by the end of practice you arent working hard enough" mentality so thats the approach i took when i decided to run... i was wrong.

*I 100% think that smoking helps me get into a good zone. It helps me focus so much! Ive never experienced a runners high before, but its been described to me before and it does sound very similar to smoking, i mean it is described as a high.

---If i ever do find myself in a marathon or half, i will surely try and eat a few brownies and let you know how it goes. I kind of think that it would backfire tho. In my experience, edibles, (opposed to smoking) gives more of a body buzz and would make my muscles too relaxed and lazy, but i bet given the right mindset to get past the initial hump, im sure edibles could make a long run flow really well and would be very enjoyable recreationally.

*I also 100% agree that is a crutch, but sometimes we need a crutch to help us get back on our feet. I live an active lifestyle and am a healthy 22 year old, but I haven't been into a regular fitness routine in a loooong time, so if it takes motivating myself with smoking to get me back in the gym then im ok with that. My intention is to run sober eventually, but right now im having SO MUCH FUN!! 

* The quick improvement in time i think is because i started reading up on proper form/technique once i realized i liked running. I was heal striking and doing the bunny hop thing before i did some research, so Im assuming that the 12:30 is probably a more realistic baseline for me.

--As for the 4:50 mile, I was surprised to run so fast, but i was a decent enough sprinter in the pool (21.23 PR for 50 free) so it makes sense. (not sure why some of you are making me out to be a liar-not cool)

*To those of you who couldn't resist the urge to be negative (its hard sometimes, I know. i struggle with it  myself):Please think about the words that you put out into the world. You dont know me, I am just another person trying to better myself by running, yet you judged me and dismissed my achievements. Im sure you are very nice people in your real lives, so ill let it roll off, but please be more positive in the future. I mean i am after all a dirty, stinky, pot smoking hippie...i need all the encouragement i can get ;]

*Finally, Im grateful for those of you that were positive and open-minded. You are the reason I will continue to come to this forum with future questions as they come up... i promise they wont all be about weed ;]

Peace.

YOUTH CULTURE FOREVER :]

kervit

Never ran/trained stoned but hungover...yes...

Twenty some years ago...in my mid-twenties.  Back then I was training for a marathon with three buddies of mine...non-drinking baptists.  I would go out friday nights with other friends and well....have fun.  But Saturday mornings, at 6:00 in the morning or so, I'd HAVE to meet up with my running team and do our workout.... either a tempo run or a loooooonnnnnnggggg run...no excuses.  It was not fun at all, let me tell you that!  Unfortunately, I remember puking along the side of the trail on more than a few occasions and wishing one of them would have the decency to put me out of my misery.

I may ave to try running stoned though...that just might be cool...and maybe take some of the pain out of the knees and feet at the end of a long run.  Or maybe do so AFTER running for the same reasons....we'll see!

do it. im sure you will enjoy it!

YOUTH CULTURE FOREVER :]

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

On your easy days, carry your bong and smoke WHILE running. It will force you to run at an appropriately slow pace. On your speed days, also carry your bong, but run past the police station. This will force you to go fast as they chase you down the street. 

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental