Running in college (Read 89 times)

On a side note, I find it funny that there's a lot WPI love going on in here. I was accepted there, but the coach didn't reply to my emails, which left a bad taste in my mouth. Ended up elsewhere (and very happy with my decision) and ran a lot faster than I would of under his coaching.

Yeah, don't they teach you the difference between the Write and the Rong Polytechnic Institutes?

Bad engineering jokes aside, you gotta make your own decisions, and tbh I don't blame you for being turned off by the coach's lack of response.  Glad it worked out for you.

Know thyself.

M_M_C

haha I love it

Yeah, don't they teach you the difference between the Write and the Rong Polytechnic Institutes?

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 54:46.2 (2019)     FM: 2:58:48 (2019)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

My freshman year I was the fifth man we only had 7.

no one had a CC scholarship. One senior had a partial track scholarship

The scoring team? Do they have that in college?

I skipped the NCAA talk last night partly because of this thread and my 10 yo DD had a basketball game. She scored 6 of the 12 points! I will go next year.The US college process is a lot and they are so many options compared to Canada. I think being prepared will help. Thank you.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Listen to your Coach.

Talk to your coach 1x1 sometime, and tell him your wishes...and to help you prepare towards that goal...

Small improvements lead to Big Improvements!

I was a pole vaulter, but always trying to PR by 2 feet, instead of focusing on 6 inch PR's or less...

Side note, I really wish I tried more events in HS and maybe even college!

High school is probably the best time to try new events! You might be great at the 800m and thinking you're a 1-2miler and focused on the wrong event. Or may just really love an event you didn't think you would.

Not sure your son is focused on track or cross country? but if not running both of those, I would certainly find a sport or activity in the off-season/other seasons.

I would say sooner the better, to try different events! ie. freshmen year instead of senior year.

Good luck!

300m- 37 sec.

GC100k

Side note, I really wish I tried more events in HS and maybe even college!

This. I was a high jumper and my senior year in HS there was a meet where our coach was gone and I entered myself into the triple jump and won. He said nothing to me but next meet I was entered in the triple jump also.

I jumped in college and was the 1981 conference champion of what is now the Horizon League and was 2nd in triple.

My son was mostly a jumper in high school (5 individual state championships and indoor triple jump record holder) but also ran a bunch of different races. In college he ended up being a D1 All-American in the decathlon. He's now a college throws coach.

btw, forget about athletic scholarships for track. There are so few that it's negligible compared to all the scholarships available for academics Find a college and track program that's a good fit. I teach at a D3 college and am a track fan and to be honest the athletes just look completely different at a D3 meet than a D1 meet, but the athletes at our school have such great camaraderie and team spirit and it's such a great experience for them. And they work just as hard and care just as much as D1.

Canadian princess

He did high jump in middle school and the high school track coach has approached him about pole vault. The looks crazy cool. He is quite tall so that might be why? He also plays basketball. I like the idea of my kids bringing something to college with them. An extracurricular activity or something. My older daughter took her flute and interest in religion and has made connections that way.

thanks again.

Canadian princess

btw, forget about athletic scholarships for track. There are so few that it's negligible compared to all the scholarships available for academics Find a college and track program that's a good fit. I teach at a D3 college and am a track fan and to be honest the athletes just look completely different at a D3 meet than a D1 meet, but the athletes at our school have such great camaraderie and team spirit and it's such a great experience for them. And they work just as hard and care just as much as D1.

I do not think my son will get a sports scholarship (there isn’t such a thing in Canada so I kind of forget about them) but I know

of three students from our area who received full running scholarships recently. One is going to the US naval Academy

so that might not be  true scholarship but I imagine she is running. She is one of the fastest women in our state.

He needs to decide what he wants to do in life first. DH is a

physician so most of my kids want to go that route.

The thing about scholarships; if you're ALREADY going to be doing something, see if there's a scholarship for it. Many small schools are alloted X-number of scholarships in particular sports, and might have a few to "give away". There are also special scholarships or grants by alumni or businesses or some community entities. They can be VERY specific, and thus go unclaimed. Such as a scholarship ONLY for kids from a certain town or county, who are on the (name the sport) team AND are getting at least 3.5 GPA in Pre-Med, and the parents are active members in the (Elks, Moose, Masons, etc).

It never hurts to look.

55-59 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Canadian princess

Thanks. I should be an expert by the time my kid goes

to college. There are just so many schools. When I graduated from high school I think everyone of my friends went to the same university. The only schools I really knew when we moved to the US were those I watched play college basketball and then

that was limited because we didn’t get much coverage.