who else is just starting (Read 920 times)

Lisa3.1

? It seems that the users in the forum that I seen so far had been running long enough. I am just starting a running program. I used to run YEARS ago. Thanks Lisa
    JakeKnight

? It seems that the users in the forum that I seen so far had been running long enough. I am just starting a running program. I used to run YEARS ago. Thanks Lisa
      If you look around the training and social groups, you'll find plenty of groups having discussions for brand new runners. In fact, I'm sure some of those folks will be along any minute to point you in that direction. In the main forums, there are people who started running yesterday and people who've run around the world a couple times, people that can't yet run a whole mile and people who can almost run one in under four minutes. Marathoner and ultramarathoners and people working on their first 5-k or their first run around the block. And we're all beginners compared to some people. Some of us are beginners compared to most people. You are far from the only new runner. Trust me. Welcome. Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Lisa! Like Jake said, lots of folks of all experience levels and backgrounds. C'mon in! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just Be

I just started again about 5 months ago. This time I won't stop! Good luck with your progress and commitment! Smile

Life is Good

Lisa, I have only been running a little over a year (after many years off) I think you will love the site..welcome!

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

Just Be

...and people who can almost run one in under four minutes.
              Who here is close? If I can break 4 by the end of 2009 I'll be ecstatic like a kid in a candy shop! Big grin
                Welcome, Lisa! I've only been running since November, so that also makes me a beginner. Poke around all the forums, there's much good advice and fellowship to be found. I like all the threads, but I've joined some user groups, too. The Low Heart Rate Training Group is all about low-intensity training, it's great for beginners. At the other end of the spectrum is A Mile A Day, where we run at least a mile a day 7/7. There are links to people who haven't missed a day in decades! Very inspiring. This is a great place! Enjoy your runs. Paul
                  Hi Lisa, and welcome to RA. You're gonna like it here. I have to walk the dog and do some other things before I head for my 5K race at noon, I'm pretty psyched because it has been way too long since a red bar has appeared in my training log. I'm gonna be really lazy and cut and paste this verbatim from a "starting over" thread by huber: You've already gotten some very good advice, I'll just add my usual favorites. When you hit the road, do it in good running shoes. It's worth it to buy from a specialty store, they'll check your gait and recommend appropriate options for you. After you find a shoe that works, you can continue supporting your local running store for your next pair or shop for price on the internet. It's quite likely that your shoes will lose their shock absorbing ability before they show significant wear. It's better to ditch them early than to try to squeeze too much out of them and wind up on the bench. Start slowly and listen to your body as you ramp up your mileage. Minor discomfort is OK, serious pain is not. When in doubt, back off. It's better to err on the side of caution, you want to stay healthy and foster a lifelong addiction. Even if one is a quick and easy one, run at least three times a week. Running less than three times a week makes the chance of injury much greater. Congrats on an excellent choice, keep up the good work! I started by walking, then transitioned to Galloway's walk/run program, and I've recently started eliminating the walk breaks from runs of an hour or less. If you check out the C25K group (couch to 5K) you'll find that it's a really popular way to get going, it has worked for tons of people. Everyone on this board was a beginner at some point, so don't worry about that at all. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Happy running to you!

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Another Passion

Welcome, Lisa. You've come to the right place... great log, great forum, great people who will help and encourage you. Good luck in your running. Big grin

Rick
                    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

run4fun8910

welcome lisa. I am a new runner, Have been runnning for 9 weeks. wait last week did not count since I did not run. I am sick. but you will find a wealth of knowledge here at RA. Keep us up to date on how your training is going. Shawn
                      Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
                      Ringmaster

Hi, Lisa. I'm fairly new to this. I ran track in high school--200, 400, 800 meters (if I had to) and relays. But in this life stage I've been running less than one year, and I've been on RA only since the beginning of this year. Welcome!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                        Mile by Mile

I am just starting, run 3.5 miles on the treadmill and today was the first day outside. I have a lot of work to do.This is athe hardest thing I have ever done but I am determined to be successfull.. I just need to know that it does get easier, or at least I don't feel sore and discouraged every time. Sad
                            I am very determind!! Smile
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

I am very determind!! Smile
                              Hi, Kathy! Yes, it DOES get easier. Look at my profile - we are similar. I've been running for almost a year and a half. Couldn't do a quarter mile when I started. Friday, I ran 6.2 miles and it didn't seem that hard! It takes persistence and consistency. I find that I have to run even when I wake up and don't really want to. It always feels great once I'm out on the road! I tell people that if I can do this, ANYONE in decent health can. I never ran before in my life, unless forced to in school! The fact that you ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill already is great! You will do very well. Keep us posted on your progress. I would also recommend that you start a training log on RA and make it public - it's a good way to graph your improvement and stay motivated. If you make it public, other RA folks can answer your questions and encourage you better. Teresa
                              Lisa3.1

Thanks for the responses. It is cold as heck in Minnesota and I have to get used to running longer distances in cold temperatures.