Cortisone shot for inflammation - experiences to share? (Read 222 times)

I've had inflammation in my lower glute area - pain when I lift my leg. I've had it for 3 months and originally was diagnosed as hip capsulitis with tight hip flexor and piriformis, but chiropractic and physiotherapy treatments have not relieved the pain. Today an ultrasound on the hamstring revealed scar tissue (assuming a small healing tear) and lots of inflammation.

Doc has suggested a cortisone shot into the area to reduce the inflammation. Anyone had any experience with that? I think the hamstring problem is likely weak core / hips / glutes etc, which I'm working on.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I had a cortisone injection into that rough area (right at the crease of my butt/thigh, if that makes sense.  2 months later I had a torn hamstring tendon at the insertion point - not far from where I got the injection.  I don't know if it was the cortisone weakening the tendon, or just the cortisone hiding something that turned out to be a major injury when the cortisone wore off.  Either way, I'd never do cortisone ANYwhere close to a tendon again.

Just one person's anecdotal experience.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I had a cortisone injection into that rough area (right at the crease of my butt/thigh, if that makes sense.  2 months later I had a torn hamstring tendon at the insertion point - not far from where I got the injection.  I don't know if it was the cortisone weakening the tendon, or just the cortisone hiding something that turned out to be a major injury when the cortisone wore off.  Either way, I'd never do cortisone ANYwhere close to a tendon again.

Just one person's anecdotal experience.

Sure seems these upper hamstring/butt injuries are becoming more and more common.  Last August I developed severe hamstring pain not necessarily up high, but it hurt like hell in the butt insertion point to stretch that area.  After a few months of PT and not getting better, an MRI reveal upper hamstring tendonosis and a fractured sit bone (ischial tuberosity). A cortisone shot would have not helped one bit.

Given all the side affects of cortisone shots, I doubt I'll ever get one.  However if you do get one just be prepared to take it easy for a while so you don't rupture the tendon. You'll be worse off.

There are some things you can do on your own to help the area. One great exercise is to lay on your back, with the good leg flat on the floor. Clasp the bad leg right behind the knee and try to hold it at a 90 degree angle to the floor. While holding the quad portion of the leg still, straighten the leg as much as possible. You'll probably feel some shooting pain in the hamstring and glute area.  Try to do 3 sets of 10 to 20 reps on both legs.  I also do this exercise while not clasping the back of the knee, but rather massage the hamstring while I'm straightening the leg. If I find a tender spot, I really press on it. This is my own form of ART that the chiropractor does.

You could try a supplement from Standard Process called Ligaplex I.

Btw, my hamstring started to heal faster when I cut out the NSAIDs.  In fact, it seems the inflammation didn't go away until I cut them out completely.

Sure seems these upper hamstring/butt injuries are becoming more and more common.  Last August I developed severe hamstring pain not necessarily up high, but it hurt like hell in the butt insertion point to stretch that area.  After a few months of PT and not getting better, an MRI reveal upper hamstring tendonosis and a fractured sit bone (ischial tuberosity). A cortisone shot would have not helped one bit.

Given all the side affects of cortisone shots, I doubt I'll ever get one.  However if you do get one just be prepared to take it easy for a while so you don't rupture the tendon. You'll be worse off.

There are some things you can do on your own to help the area. One great exercise is to lay on your back, with the good leg flat on the floor. Clasp the bad leg right behind the knee and try to hold it at a 90 degree angle to the floor. While holding the quad portion of the leg still, straighten the leg as much as possible. You'll probably feel some shooting pain in the hamstring and glute area.  Try to do 3 sets of 10 to 20 reps on both legs.  I also do this exercise while not clasping the back of the knee, but rather massage the hamstring while I'm straightening the leg. If I find a tender spot, I really press on it. This is my own form of ART that the chiropractor does.

You could try a supplement from Standard Process called Ligaplex I.

Btw, my hamstring started to heal faster when I cut out the NSAIDs.  In fact, it seems the inflammation didn't go away until I cut them out completely.

I am worried about the ischial tuberosity situation and I'd really like an MRI, but I'm in Canada and they are scarce. I've had upper hamstring tendonosis before on the other leg and had physio on it and it did resolve. My recent treatments focused on piriformis and hip flexors Maybe with the right diagnosis, it will resolve. I have very compromised flexibility on my right side vs the left. I don't trust the cortisone shots either, hence this post.

But I have been in awful pain - especially in the torture chamber formerly known as the car - for months now and I'm feeling desperate. I did ask for some Tylenol 3's - maybe taking something like that will relax me so I rest properly and do the strengthening exercises.

With regard to that stretch, that reminded me that I need to go find my instructions from the previous hamstring recovery......

Thanks for your help. I know these posts are anecdotal, but it does gjve some perspective.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Feeling the growl again

Your issue sounds very similar to mine...right down to the pain sitting in the car.  I pretty much lost all of 2013's running to this injury.  I did not get a cortisone injection and don't regret it.  It's not a cure for the root of the problem...it can cause tendon weakening and/or cause you to over-work the injury because you don't feel it and work it harder.

Find the root cause.  If you read around on here you will find there are quite a few different things that can lead to very similar symptoms, from a torn labrum to piriformis issues to hip/hip flexor imbalances to torn hamstring tendons.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Find the root cause.  If you read around on here you will find there are quite a few different things that can lead to very similar symptoms, from a torn labrum to piriformis issues to hip/hip flexor imbalances to torn hamstring tendons.

I have 5 days to make a decision and I will see how it goes. I am pretty sure that the root cause (which my physiotherapist is aligned with) is hip/hip flexor / glute strength imbalances. I have re-started pilates and glute / hip flexor strengthening exercises. I just have to start realizing that if I want to continue to experience the enormous joy I get from running, I must maintain this aging body!!

But I have been in awful pain - especially in the torture chamber formerly known as the car - for months now and I'm feeling desperate. I did ask for some Tylenol 3's - maybe taking something like that will relax me so I rest properly and do the strengthening exercises.

I had that severe pain while sitting/driving too. For relief I rolled up a pair of socks and put it under my upper hamstring so that side of the butt wasn't under as much pressure. It took a while (months) before the pain subsided to where I didn't need the sock. FWIW, I'm going on 11 months and I still have some pain, but at least I'm able to run. Someday I might even be running w/out pain :-)

Good luck!

Feeling the growl again

if I want to continue to experience the enormous joy I get from running, I must maintain this aging body!!

You're telling me....I'm 36... Sad

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

slenkar

I had pain under the thigh from hanstring tendosis too,

I realized it was because I was walking up the stairs -which puts pressure on the hamstring- this was not allowing it to heal.

I had to either crawl or walk up the stairs using one leg only, after a few weeks all the pain from the hamstring went away.

kilkee

runktrun

Plyometrics have done wonders to relieve a lot of the tension on my high hammy tendons - it still hurts, but I've regained a lot of range of motion without the tight/strained/catching feeling.  Deep squats, hip hinges, jumping lunges, etc.  I have not had a cortisone shot, nor would I ever get one.  Cortisone does not heal tissues.  Yes, it reduced inflammation, but usually inflammation is not so bad that it needs to be controlled artificially.  Inflammation brings blood and nutrients to the area.  If the tendon is that messed up, then PRP, or even Prolotherapy would be a better option.

addendum: plyo work has helped immensely by strengthening my glutes and core!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

#artbydmcbride

I have had pain from an inflamed sciatic nerve that radiated down my buttock and back of my leg.    It interfered with my range of motion and my joy in running (pain sucks).  A cortisone injection calmed the nerve down and allowed my to work on strengthening and loosening the muscles around it.   In my case it was wonderful and I would gladly do it again.  There is no real adverse effect to an occasional cortisone injection every few years.

Runners run

I had persistent ITBS-piriformis issues from marathon training back in my mid 20s. Took a shot of cortisone and that helped clear it up. Also had patellar tendinits in my early 40s that last almost three years. With that PT tried ultra sound with a cortisone cream. It took two treatments over a few months but it went away.

I've also heard horror stories with cortisone. A friend at PF so took a shot about 2 weeks before Boston. He ruptured his PF in the race.

The biggest caution is to allow youself time to heal before running. Cortison softens the tissues--makes it more spongy so the blood gets in there, reducing inflammation. But if you go hammer a work out or a long run too soon you can do more damage than the original injury.

kcam

Yeah, I'd finally had enough of a PF problem I was having that wouldn't go away after about a year of trying passive methods to alleviate it.  Got the cortisone injection and I've been living happily ever since.  I didn't run for about three weeks (but did do some biking) after the injection and then very slowly started building my running again.  I'd consider one again but only after exhausting other methods (including the tried and true REST method).

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Research does not support soft tissue cortisone injections for reducing local inflammation.

SMART Approach

This is a tough call. They don't actually inject the cortisone into the tendon. I have had bilateral upper hammy cortisone injections twice and now have no repercussions.  The sports doc at the time tried 4 weeks of NSAIDS. I took off a month from running, 4 weeks of therapy with ultrasound, ice massages etc and nothing worked. I simply could not sit down because of a combination of bursitis and tendonitis. The pain and burning simply was not living. The doc really had no choice. The cortisone worked incredibly.  No regrets!!  Down the road I later developed tendonosis (chronic soreness without inflammation) and fought through for 7 years. This is first year I am truly healthy in hammy area since 2007.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com