Jogger hit by deer (Read 1229 times)

AnneCA

Car hits deer, deer hits jogger GuelphMercury.com - BreakingNews - Car hits deer, deer hits jogger GUELPH — In a bizarre accident Sunday morning, the body of a deer that was struck by a vehicle flew through the air and collided with a jogger. The driver was unhurt and the jogger didn’t require medical attention, city police report. The deer didn’t survive. Police are cautioning drivers to be wary of deer crossing streets. The mishap occurred at 8:46 a.m. on Kortright Road at Preservation Park, an area of bush known to be frequented by deer. A 2008 Dodge Charger was eastbound on Kortright when a deer leaped in front of it, causing so much damage that the car is a write-off, police said. As it flew through the air from the impact, the animal struck a 38-year-old Guelph man who was jogging on the sidewalk by the park. He declined medical attention. Another deer ran across the road at about the same time and became trapped in the backyard of a residence, where it suffered broken legs. It was put down by police for humanitarian reasons, police said. Police are reminding motorists this is the time of year deer are particularly active as they roam widely for food. They’re asking drivers in particular to watch for deer-crossing signs, like those posted at Preservation Park.

Insert witty title here

Holy crap.. I thought I had heard of everything. Sad that the deer didn't survive, but good that the driver and runner are both ok.

ThomasRuns Blog
      Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

GUELPH — In a bizarre accident Sunday morning, the body of a deer that was struck by a vehicle flew through the air and collided with a jogger. ...
        Thanks for posting this. Made me chuckle, trying to imagine what that jogger had to be thinking at 3 seconds until impact.

That's almost as crazy as the deer that tried to bandit the Austin Freescale Marathon back in 2006...it took out a runner about 90 yards into the race. (That guy still finished, despite requiring 3 miles to reorient himself and fight off the nausea of a 90 pound animal tackling him.) http://news.runtowin.com/2006/02/23/deer-attempts-to-bandit-the-austin-freescale-marathon.html
          Holy crap.. I thought I had heard of everything. Sad that the deer didn't survive, but good that the driver and runner are both ok.
          I'm not sad for the deer. They probably donated it to a local food shelter, and if not I'm sure that somebody is going to eat it.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Weezey

My only complaint here is that they called him a "jogger". I know the guy and he's definitely a runner. Smile You don't jog a marathon. - Ian

an amazing likeness

That is freakin' amazing. Good thing the police didn't mess up and "put down" to jogger for humanitarian reasons while they were at it...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Oh deer. I heard the guy in the car was on his way back from a stag night.

I'm trying really hard not to laugh, but the visual is almost too much. Glad the runner, is okay, hopefully the deer died on impact (w/the car, not the runner), and I'm sorry the other had to suffer before being put down.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

I saw one get hit today. A minivan coming the other way hit the deer when it bolted out of the woods. It flew up a good 15 feet in the air, spinning and tumbling, and fell in the road behind the van. It was an ugly thing to watch and I thought for sure it must have broken its legs but it got right up and ran off without any visible damage. Lucky deer. I expect the van had some damage too.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have honestly been paranoid of this very thing, myself.  That and the potential of someone to swerve to miss a deer and hit me.  I see a LOT of deer when I run, especially if it's early in the AM or at dusk.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

beat

Break on through

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

I have honestly been paranoid of this very thing, myself.  That and the potential of someone to swerve to miss a deer and hit me.  I see a LOT of deer when I run, especially if it's early in the AM or at dusk.

I was thinking same thing ... But the deer hitting me.

This morning on LR on a bike trail through park a Deer was like 6 inches off the path and when I cam by he had that look like he was going to cut across the path instead of turning back to the woods.  He stood his ground and just passe by him as I guess he has seen his share of "joggers" cross his path before.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

He stood his ground and just passe by him as I guess he has seen his share of "joggers" cross his path before.

I have a theory about deer.  I think the smarter, braver ones are more likely to stand their ground and watch me...kind of sizing up the threat.  The dumber, timid ones all take off en masse, but there is always one that will stand still and sort of analyze me.  Or maybe I have it backwards.  Maybe the ones that stand and watch are the stupid-heads. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Zoom--what, you think we don't get enough of Billy Mays without your help?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016