Help - Pain in both hips for 2 days after running (Read 1395 times)

Good old NHS, still waiting for xray results 5 weeks on! Hips still feel 'weak' done some very short, slow runs but very uncomfortable, knees and shins hurting now as I must be trying to protect the injury when I run.
      Waiting for appointment with local physio, NHS so it'll take a while! Blood test and xray both clear no problem with the joints so it has to be muscular. I'm running my first half marathon in September and I've had to get back into training or its not going to happen, for the last few weeks ive been very slowly building up the miles again and its been unconfortable but not impossible, the mornings after are always bad and I have to take 2 days break between runs but lots of stretching accompanied by some ibuprofen and glucosamine and I'm still chugging along! Lets hope the physio appointment comes through soon!
        Any update Mr. Benn? I am suffering from a similar injury and would love to hear some more info about what you have learned and where you are in your recovery!
          When I started out I started having pain very similar to what you are describing. I knew I had weak hip flexors and extensors and just generally crap weak hips. I think what happened me was that the running was working the muscles but I wasn't doing enough stretching for the hip specific muscles to keep them open enough and muscle imbalances were just building up and I even started getting issues in my lower abs and back. I started agressively going for long stretching sessions in those areas after runs and problem solved. Best was to work on getting into a really deep squat, keeping feet flat on the ground but drop your butt all the way down until you are resting on your calves... keep the back as straight as possible. I couldn't do this at all at first, my hips were way too tight.
          The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
          • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
          • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
          • Complete a 10K fun run
            I had a very good physio session last week and they were very thorough, checked feet, ankles, knees, hips, back, all muscle groups below the waist and basically tied me in knots for over an hour. The outcome in their opinion is that I have ITB Syndrome, they could tell that I have limited range in both hips due to this tightness and have given me 2 specific stretched to do which I have started to do and I'm hoping that my hip pain will finally go away. I'll be back there in 2 weeks for some treadmill analysis and some possibly some strengthening work. I have continued training throughout the injury although it has been somewhat limited by how I feel on the day all that aside Sunday is Dday and my first half marathon, wish me luck!
              Thanks for reporting back. I hadn't thought that ITB issues normally caused pain felt in and around the hip so I wouldn't have expected that. I have to try more work on IT stretches, whenever I have a go with them I never feel a stretch like I do in my other tight muscles.
              The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
              • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
              • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
              • Complete a 10K fun run
                Thanks for the update. I have also been thinking that I have a touch of ITBS. I am going to a sports med doc this week for an official diagnosis. I also have trigger points in my lower back that are out of this world painful. I am sure they are related to my hip pain but not sure if one caused the other or if they are both caused by a third underlying problem! Keep us posted! Fishbowl
                BostonRnr

Thanks to everyone for sharing their info and tips. I'm dealing with hip pain too and am seeing a sports massage therapist tomorrow. I'm hoping he can help narrow down bursitis vs. IT band (or both). So far, ice and alleve haven't helped, but stretching and the foam roller seem to help. I'm running my first marathon at the end of October, and I think it's pretty common to run into issues like this during training. I've switched to swimming for the week to give it a rest.
                    Thanks to everyone for sharing their info and tips. I'm dealing with hip pain too and am seeing a sports massage therapist tomorrow. I'm hoping he can help narrow down bursitis vs. IT band (or both). So far, ice and alleve haven't helped, but stretching and the foam roller seem to help. I'm running my first marathon at the end of October, and I think it's pretty common to run into issues like this during training. I've switched to swimming for the week to give it a rest.
                    Well I went to the sports doc today and left with a trochanteric bursitis diagnosis, had 2 cortisone shots and a script for an anti-inflammatory. I was also given some strecthes to do along with suggestions to modify my training until this subsides. Any updates in your condition, boston? Fishbowl
                    BostonRnr

Well I went to the sports doc today and left with a trochanteric bursitis diagnosis, had 2 cortisone shots and a script for an anti-inflammatory. I was also given some strecthes to do along with suggestions to modify my training until this subsides. Any updates in your condition, boston? Fishbowl
                      Thanks for the update! I am taking a week off from running...which is very stressful. I've been swimming or kayaking instead. I am just starting to see some improvement. I had an intense clinical massage last night and felt better afterwards. Swimming and streching seem to help too. It feels worst when I sit for a long time, which is the nature of my job. I will ease back into running this weekend with some short slow runs. Did the cortisone shots help? I am trying to get in to see a doctor but haven't been able to get an appointment until September 22.
                        Thanks for the update! I am taking a week off from running...which is very stressful. I've been swimming or kayaking instead. I am just starting to see some improvement. I had an intense clinical massage last night and felt better afterwards. Swimming and streching seem to help too. It feels worst when I sit for a long time, which is the nature of my job. I will ease back into running this weekend with some short slow runs. Did the cortisone shots help? I am trying to get in to see a doctor but haven't been able to get an appointment until September 22.
                        I think we've officially hijacked this thread! The cortisone shot injection site is very sore right now, but I think that is normal. My doc said I could expect complete relief in 24 - 48 hours. If so, I will be pretty pleased. I saw a pretty reputable sports doc in town that works with the local sports teams (college and high school) so I feel pretty confident in his diagnosis and treatment. He did tell me that if I wasn't doing well in a few weeks to come back. I guess in the meantime I will try to be super-diligent about listening to my body and backing off when it starts speaking to me! Keep us updated! Fishbowl