wireless ear buds (Read 170 times)

Gizmo2019

As to the thread, I'm a fan of Aftershokz.  In the winter, they don't fit well under a cap, so I go with the JLab wireless.  I don't love them because they don't fit very snug in my ears and the battery life isn't what I'd like it to be for really long runs, but they do the job.  I list the ones I've tired on my gear page.

Good to know bc I do wear a hat on my early AM runs! Thanks for the list!

Gizmo2019

An alternative are light-weight headphones and clip-on mp3 player. Drop the cord down your shirt and connect to player clipped to top of your shorts.

No issue withe earbuds falling out and cost is reasonable.

This is what I currently have. But mine is a first generation shuffle I think. I can’t switch songs around to edit my playlist.& sometimes the clip loosens and slides off if I bounce too much (on treadmill). But I do like your idea of clipping it to waist. Usually I clip it to the inner side of my tank and then have to wrap the wire around it so it’s not flopping. I always wonder if ppl are looking at me weird bc of the way I run or my weird twisted wired up tank top strap.0

Gizmo2019

I read this subject with some interest, Wired/wireless, which brand is best. While I have no interest in raining on someone's parade, it has been my personal observation that far too many runners using ear buds are completely oblivious to their surroundings. Case in point: I would like to suggest if you are going to wear earbuds consider wearing only one so you can use the other ear to keep track of your surroundings. It might keep you from an injury or worse. Just my two cents.

For sure this is important. I’m usually alone running outdoors on a sidewalk mostly early wkend mornings. Barely anybody out. I see maybe a couple cyclist and 1-3 runners. Also I keep my volume low for traffic. Not sure how I’d like music in one ear. I think I’d feel imbalanced?

Julia1971

For sure this is important. I’m usually alone running outdoors on a sidewalk mostly early wkend mornings. Barely anybody out. I see maybe a couple cyclist and 1-3 runners. Also I keep my volume low for traffic. Not sure how I’d like music in one ear. I think I’d feel imbalanced?

If you plan to wear one bud, be award that some models have controls on both buds so you'd be losing some functionality.  Also, some only allow single use on one of the buds.  For example, I think one model I tried only allowed single-bud use for the left bud, (which if hearing passing traffic is the concern, is not the best side to have an ear bud.)

The nice thing about Aftershokz is that you do hear more.  (I believe I read that for some races in the UK that ban headphones, they'll make allowances for Aftershokz.)  However, the music sound quality suffers a bit.  Also, in addition to the skullcap issue, if you're wearing sunglasses, it's a lot to rest on top of your ears.

Let us know what you choose and if you like them.  I think a lot of runners struggle with finding a brand they like.

Gizmo2019

Good to know. I have heard of marathons that don’t allow them.  I Think I may end up with aftershoks or plantronics...I’ll let everyone know

Gizmo2019

I ended up with aftershoks, mini. Although I feel like even the mini’s are too big. After a while of having them on the back of my ears get sore but I’m not too worried as I think I can adjust and get used to it. So far I love the wireless-ness...moving into the 21st century.