Like Gilda Radner said, "it's always something..." (Read 676 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So for a week or two I was dealing with a problematic right hip flexor. That cleared-up and felt great for my race on Sat., but during my easy 30 minute recovery run yesterday my calves and shins gave me fits (and the return of the numb right foot). I did 45 minutes today and my calves and shins were fine, but now my hip flexor is back to being a pain in the...upper thigh. Am I the only one who finds that there seems to always be some body part that's pouty and not willing to play well with others? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Zoomy - sounds like classic overtraining syndrome. Just my $.02. Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But I've been cutting back on my miles for the past month...if I keep doing that I won't be up for my HM at the end of the month. Last week I didn't even log 20 miles. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Didn't expect ya to listen, just said that's my $.02. You don't have much longer before your goal race... why don't you try to make a deal with your body ... make it through Oct 29 and you promise to take *really* good care of it afterwards. A heart-rate monitor might work for you for keeping things down to a gentler level... you're always trying so damn hard. Oops. Did I swear on the forums? I mean "you're always trying too damn hard." No, wait, that didn't come out right, either. I mean... Oh! You know what I mean!

JakeKnight

Zoomy - sounds like classic overtraining syndrome. Just my $.02. Tongue
            Wingz is right. No question. And Zoom's response to Wingz' very good advice was as predictable as sunrise. Congrats, Zoom. You're officially a runner. One of the key ingredients in any runner is a propensity to ignore good (and obvious) advice and to insist they aren't over-training. Cool Want some more advice you probably will ignore? Here goes: The answer to your question is: no - if you're training right, you shouldn't have constantly shifting aches and pains. Sometimes its inevitable, but if its "always something," you're overtraining. The good news is that sooner or later, you're body will make sure you don't really hurt yourself. The bad news is it might keep you off your feet for a month when it happens. The time to change things is now, not when it's too late. And no - I can't follow my own good advice. I'm in the middle of my own forced layoff after pushing through a minor ache that wouldn't go away. You started running what - 6 months ago? And you're already running half marathons? And last month you jumped from almost 70 miles to more than 110? And that's cutting back? Classic runner's mentality. You're definitely a stud. And you're definitely over-training. Here's my favorite: you just ran 6 days out of the last 7. Nope. No over-training there. Cool Here's that good advice you won't take: Go run one of those virtual races this weekend. Bust your ass to run it as fast you can. Make a note of your time, and how your body feels. Then, for the next month, never *ever* run two days in a row. Not once. Cap your weekly mileage to 20 miles, no matter what. And on those days off, NO cross training involving your legs. Hit the weights or the pool, if you have to cross train. Better yet, run just 3 times a week. If you want to keep mileage up, make the runs longer. Then ... In November, run the same race again. And let us know how your body feels, and what your time is. I guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised. No I don't. Because, just like me, you won't listen. Roll eyes Frickin' runners. -----------------------------------------------

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

And Zoom's response to Wingz' very good advice was as predictable as sunrise. Congrats, Zoom. You're officially a runner. One of the key ingredients in any runner is a propensity to ignore good (and obvious) advice and to insist they aren't over-training. Cool :: snip:: Frickin' runners.
              LOL!!! I think I'm going to like you, Jake! Tongue

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Go run one of those virtual races this weekend. Bust your ass to run it as fast you can. Make a note of your time, and how your body feels. Then, for the next month, never *ever* run two days in a row. Not once. Cap your weekly mileage to 20 miles, no matter what. And on those days off, NO cross training involving your legs. Hit the weights or the pool, if you have to cross train. Better yet, run just 3 times a week. If you want to keep mileage up, make the runs longer. Then ... In November, run the same race again. And let us know how your body feels, and what your time is. I guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised. No I don't. Because, just like me, you won't listen. Roll eyes Frickin' runners. -----------------------------------------------
                Birds of a feather, 'eh? Wink Heh, I have *some* common sense, in that I'm not doing any virtual races this month (don't think I did one last month, either), since I have 2 real ones (5k autism run on the 14th and the HM on the 29th). Next year I won't do so many real 5ks, since I'm not all that fond of that distance...I'll settle to simply donate money or volunteer for those charities, rather than running their races. As much as I like the idea of not running 2 consecutive days (which is more-or-less what I did this Summer), I'm restricted by our daylight hours and getting my runs in when my kid's in school--so that means longer runs have to be on the weekend and I'd limited to more and shorter runs during the week. I'd much prefer to do fewer, longer runs, really. I am definitely planning to scale back over the Winter, though--partly due to weather. I'm not likely to run more than 3-4 days/week with some other forms of cardio or weight work and yoga thrown in for variety. Time for an economy sized bottle of ibuprofen... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Denial, denial, denial. It's not just a river in Egypt. Or something like that. Oh, well. I tried. You'll see. And I can't blame you. I've been popping anti-inflammatories and sitting in the office with a bag of ice on my toe all day ... and still contemplating whether maybe I could go for a run later today. When we both end up in the hospital, I'll bring a deck of cards. You bring a Scrabble board.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Think they'll let us have beer...? I will probably cease my speedwork for now, too (), since my hip flexor problems have consistently cropped up within a couple of days of racing (and seems to resolve itself once I've avoided any faster runs for a few days). I had planned to do 45 minute of hills/fartleks on Thurs., but I'd rather not have to hobble in pain through my long run on Sat., since I only get 2 more long runs before the big HM. And I'll have you people know that I had planned to do a 70 minute run this AM, but cut it back to 45...though lightning and pouring rain had as much to do with that as my body... Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I will probably cease my speedwork for now, too (), since my hip flexor problems have consistently cropped up within a couple of days of racing (and seems to resolve itself once I've avoided any faster runs for a few days).
                      Hey, call me the Queen of Obvious, but it seems to me like you could be a great coach for yourself... if you could just get yourself to listen... Luv ya, Zoomy! Tongue

Just have to add my 2cents worth in. Wing is right! Jake is right to a point. There is a point where either your learn your lesson and lay off or you don't. I'm a runner and even as much as I HATE not running if I'm sick or have certain pains I won't run. For example I'm recovering from a cold. Today was my first run since Friday. Guess maybe us runners have to learn the hardway ( though we can learn lol)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson